545rfe ?s

-
Am confused over this all. Am going to try to use a 500 and keep it simple. Can't seem to find out info as to engine/ tranny connection. Which flex plate flywheel works with this combo.

You are going to have to do better than this!!!

"What is " your engine combo?

Sounds kind of like he wants to use an A500 transmission with a GenIII Hemi....maybe? If so, his best bet is to get the Mopar Performance flex plate and spacer. Unless someone has come up with a different solution to use a 904/500 or 727/518 with a Gen III motor, that was it when I started looking 3 or 4 years ago. It's a flex plate made to fit the crank and accommodate the old converters. You also have to use the supplied spacer between the motor and bell housing or it will bust the pump in the transmission when you tighten the bell housing bolts. I'm going to stick with the 545RFE because the sawzall has already spoken.....lol.

Since they use the same Case and are the same size minus the rear extension, has anyone considered using the 66RFE? It's stronger and used behind the 6.4L Hemi. You'd have to use the much bigger spline yoke. It is newer and would have to have the programming for the 6 speed. The torque capability may still be limited by the input shaft but the back half is the same as the 6.7L Cummins used 68RFE.

Not too bad of a price at $799. By the time I added in a PCM, and added in controlling a 545RFE, it was about $1400. I'd have to check Hotwire Auto to see how theirs compares nowadays.

Not too bad of a price at $799. By the time I added in a PCM, and added in controlling a 545RFE, it was about $1400. I'd have to check Hotwire Auto to see how theirs compares nowadays.
Old thread but this it's the best info I've found so far.
I have an 03 Ram 5.7 545RFE. I want to use the factory TCU with aftermarket ECU.
I understand I need to provide the necessary inputs to the factory TCU - does anyone have info on that, even a wiring diagram would be great.
Thanks for any help!

I have an 03 Ram 5.7 545RFE. I want to use the factory TCU with aftermarket ECU.
I understand I need to provide the necessary inputs to the factory TCU - does anyone have info on that, even a wiring diagram would be great.
Thanks for any help!

Since that link was posted...it has come to light that Swap Specialties just takes your money and doesn't know you afterwards! Do a search on here about Swap Specialties....and buyer beware!

Thanks for any help!
It looks the factory manual shows what I need except for the comm bus SCI connections (pins 7,46). Says those are for 'indirect' inputs from PCM like Body Identification, ECT, Target idle, MAP. That's a roadblock for me, I don't know how to satisfy those since they aren't direct, hardwire inputs. Anyone have any insight on that, any work arounds?
data link.JPG
indirect inputs.JPG

Thanks for any help!
Flick a message to the boys at diyhemi.com
They seem to know about which pins go where for what models.

Last edited:
There is a thread on here for one of the new solenoid shifted transmissions, maybe this one. Some guy swapped one into a Chevelle, and designed his own controller. As I understand it, he GUTTED the stock stuff in the trans except for the bare solenoids, and connected direct to them. Sounds to me like you need some timing to release one and apply the other, hell you might be able to do it with "relay logic" and 2 or 3 adjustable time delay relays. That would give you full manual control, at any rate.

Flick a message to the boys at diyhemi.com
They seem to know about which pins go where for what models.
thanks NHD, I emailed them this morning.

There is a thread on here for one of the new solenoid shifted transmissions, maybe this one. Some guy swapped one into a Chevelle, and designed his own controller. As I understand it, he GUTTED the stock stuff in the trans except for the bare solenoids, and connected direct to them. Sounds to me like you need some timing to release one and apply the other, hell you might be able to do it with "relay logic" and 2 or 3 adjustable time delay relays. That would give you full manual control, at any rate.
thanks Dart, I know that would work but I really want to take advantage of the full capability of the factory TCM shifts. Can't help but respect the old school approach though

I think if anyone uses the 5.7 with the 545rfe they should use Hotwire harness. I think the many years they’ve been doing it it is proven quality. It’s ready to plug in. You don’t have to worry about making your own connections or a bad crimp. They stand behind the product and great tech support. You don’t have to spend $$$$ on an ECM. A 2005 truck or Durango ECM can be had for $75. I have bought several for people who needed one. I even tested for them. Just plugged it in to mine drive it around for a while and shipped it to them. I looked into DYI Hemi and thought this is going to control my car if I make a wiring mistake or bad crimp I’ll be stranded or worse. I think a few hundred more dollars is worth my life and my car if it burns to the ground. Just my 40 cents(due to inflation)

I think if anyone uses the 5.7 with the 545rfe they should use Hotwire harness. I think the many years they’ve been doing it it is proven quality. It’s ready to plug in. You don’t have to worry about making your own connections or a bad crimp. They stand behind the product and great tech support. You don’t have to spend $$$$ on an ECM. A 2005 truck or Durango ECM can be had for $75. I have bought several for people who needed one. I even tested for them. Just plugged it in to mine drive it around for a while and shipped it to them. I looked into DYI Hemi and thought this is going to control my car if I make a wiring mistake or bad crimp I’ll be stranded or worse. I think a few hundred more dollars is worth my life and my car if it burns to the ground. Just my 40 cents(due to inflation)

Thanks for that post! I just talked to Chris at Hotwire and he offered my an option I hadn't thought of and I think I like the option. My desire is to put a big cam in my stock 03 Ram 5.7 w/545RFE trans. I was looking at using an aftermarket ECU ( so I could tune it myself) which the factory TCM wouldn't work with. He told me I could use an 05 Ram ECU which he would flash to suit my 03, and supply the wiring harness, all for just under $1000. Plus all my dash gages, AC etc would still work like stock (something I'm pretty sure I'd lose using an aftermarket ECU. I could then tune the ECU with HPTuners which I already use. Now the question, do I spend money on the Corvette or hotrod the RAM?

I have 04 5.7 with 545rfe. I tuned mine with the Diablo. HP wasn’t doing them at that time. I have the 05 ECU. If you have problems finding 1 let me know and I will check here locally (San Antonio)at the yard I get them from. The last one I bought was$75 a year ago. The guy I got it for put a Wipple Supercharger on his 5.7. I used the Lokar Shifter which bolted right up and used the factory console. I was going to try the factory auto shifter but my car was a 3 on tree and I did not want cut another hole out of the pan.

If you are going for more power and torque check around to see if you should upgrade the torque converter. Some say it needs changed but this is a pretty heavy duty transmission. It’s installed in a truck. What intake are you using?

With the Hotwire setup they give you a fuse block for the management. So everything else on the car is separate. Just make sure you have plenty of grounds. I moved my battery the trunk and had to add another ground to the body at the trunk. If it’s not well grounded it will do some funny stuff like go into “limp mode”.

My car is a 67 and had to install a push button start to it. The factory key switch drops the ohms across the switch from run to start. I don’t know what year they changed that. You can install a GM key switch or add the start button. Ask Chris about it when you order he will know what years do that. Just so you know when you try to start it and don’t have to tear everything apart trying to find a mistake that was never there like I did.

My car is a 67 and had to install a push button start to it. The factory key switch drops the ohms across the switch from run to start. I don’t know what year they changed that. You can install a GM key switch or add the start button. Ask Chris about it when you order he will know what years do that. Just so you know when you try to start it and don’t have to tear everything apart trying to find a mistake that was never there like I did.
thanks for all the info/help logan! I haven't dived in yet but I hear the Magnum intake is better than the stock truck one so I will eventually do that. First thing is still to get the truck ready for the big cam, which will probably be getting Hotwire's 05 ECM upgrade working on the truck while it's still stock. I've got to dig into HPTuners a little and see what I can on that 05 ECM. I'll post up with any updates for sure.

I run an Extreme Automatic's Stage 2 2004R in my '68 with a custom 3800 stall, 3 carbon fiber lock-up clutch, Precision of New Hampton torque converter. It bolts right up to my 5.9 Magnum block and will also bolt up to a Gen 3 Hemi block using a Reid SFI rated bellhousing.

It requires no controller. I have mine set-up so it will only lock the converter in 4th gear and that can be switched on and off with a simple toggle switch. There are other ways to rig it to lock up in the other gears as well too.

The gearing is perfect with a lower 2.76 to 1 first gear and .67 overdrive. It's compact, very efficient and will hold 700 hp at this level. If you want to put around 1000hp through it, you will need to upgrade to the Stage 3 version.

It's the best automatic transmission I've ever driven, and it significantly improved my cars performance. With the looser converter and the lock-up, it's like having a 5 speed automatic.

As for my engine, I used a Hotwire Auto Hotrod Harness with a factory 5.9 Magnum JTEK computer reflashed by Chris at Performance Injection Equipment.

I run an Extreme Automatic's Stage 2 2004R in my '68 with a custom 3800 stall, 3 carbon fiber lock-up clutch, Precision of New Hampton torque converter. It bolts right up to my 5.9 Magnum block and will also bolt up to a Gen 3 Hemi block using a Reid SFI rated bellhousing.

It requires no controller. I have mine set-up so it will only lock the converter in 4th gear and that can be switched on and off with a simple toggle switch. There are other ways to rig it to lock up in the other gears as well too.

The gearing is perfect with a lower 2.76 to 1 first gear and .67 overdrive. It's compact, very efficient and will hold 700 hp at this level. If you want to put around 1000hp through it, you will need to upgrade to the Stage 3 version.

It's the best automatic transmission I've ever driven, and it significantly improved my cars performance. With the looser converter and the lock-up, it's like having a 5 speed automatic.

As for my engine, I used a Hotwire Auto Hotrod Harness with a factory 5.9 Magnum JTEK computer reflashed by Chris at Performance Injection Equipment.

Around here, FINDING a 200 core is a problem

^^This is where?^^ I was referring to the local area her, Spokane, N end of Idaho

How does the mounting work with the 545rfe? Is anyone making a crossmember? How much surgery in the trans tunnel and what kind of shifts are people running?

-
Back