6.1 Hemi going in to its new HOME!!!

-
No it's not. All it take is education. It's not likethere is some mystical power at work. It's just knowing what is correct. It's quite simple once you grasp the concept. The big "IF" is locating someone that will show you how its done correctly. I will learn it, oralist a matter of finding who can teach you correctly

ummmm. yes its a giant IF. its a pretty important IF .

Your total of 1900 is a little off. You cannot price a standard setup, and include a rack as well. That does not work. So your 1900 just dropped to 1400. Now I did nit do it the other way keepingthe rack, and removing standard steering, but let's assume it totals 500 as well. So if you source all the suspension parts, that come with the alterkation, and it totals 1400 that leaves 3600 for the k member. As that was bassicall all you did not have in your post. Take off 880 for wilwood brakes, and your at 2720. So your looking at 2720 for 200 in steel tubing and a weld job. When like I posted earlier you could get a comparable part for 500 for another brand. I don't see where your thinking that it's comparable to other stuff.
Also you numbers seem a little high. I have priced chris Alston stuff at $2000 but it needs brakes. So ad in another 880 give or take. Still no where near the alterkation. I called heidt's about installing Thier kit. Thy recommended the truck suspension to get the track width correct, as well as frame dimensions. It was ~$3000. That's complete just add wheels. So again your prices seem high no all your compairable parts. Unless when I called and spoke with them I got some great deal, but I doubt it as I went with the price off the website. Let's debate it. And understand the viewpoints from both sides.

can you slow down some and retype this in english?? holy cow dude. your either typing on a phone or just going way too fast on a keyboard. the post is almost unreadable.

not sure what your tying to say. his list of stock type of parts adds up to almost 1900. there is no rack in that list. unless i missed it.. in the list below that it looks like he is only using the unisteer garbage as an example...

its funny that with all the guys that complain that the price is too high for an alter-k and that its only so much in metal and there is no way the rest of the parts justify the price that none of them have come out with something just as good and cheaper. if it was so easy then everyone would be selling them.. talk is cheap. step up and sell us a kit that has the same quality for $1995.. we are waiting. but then people will ***** that thats too much money also...

Sorry for the bad post. Yeah it was from my phone. He did mention a flaming river rack. It was the last item on his list.

You are correct. I read flaming river and read rack not box. My fault. Again I was looking at flaming river racks this past weekend. I did not even realize they sell boxes.

I included the 500 flaming recirculating ball steering box because my original box is pretty loose and it doesn't appear as though a 20:1 steering gear is readily available. Finally I also included the box because it is my belief that the flaming rive is smaller, which would help with the hemi swap.

I listed every part that I plan to buy for the rebuilding of the front end of my car. The point I was trying to make is that even a relatively stock rebuild with quality parts and some real improvements made to ensure good handling was still expensive.

People often see the $500.00 engine cradle for other cars and say, "Why not us?" The problem is it fails to take into account that these other products are simply engine cradles that are designed to take weight off the front end. For example this product for a late model Mustang is simply a k member with lower A-Arm mounts and motor mounts.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/AJE-MU3010/79-04-Mustang-50L-Mild-Steel-Tubular-K-Member

If you think that the RMS system is simply this, you are mistaken.

I understand your frustration, I often feel that Mopar parts are vastly overpriced. It seems that whenever I need a part I end up paying a premium simply because it is Mopar product. After a while that gets really frustrating.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I currently have the stocker, but since I'm build a twin turbo setup, there is not any room to get the headers forward, unless I run really small tubing then what's the point my goal 1000rwhp (or more) and little primary's will not get me there. After talking with my header guy (builds pro mod exhaust) we need at least 1.75in tubing there is just no room with the stock k member. I flat our refuse to spend $5000 on a few tubes welded together. He'll my Dana rear has mossier 35 spline axles, Detroit locker, yukon gears and every upgrade I could come up with, and even after adding in my ladder bars and coil overs we are just starting to touch the $5000 mark. So to drop that on a measly chunk of tubing to support a motor and front wheels is assinine. I'm looking hard at the bob's pro fab set up though it's $3700. (still outrageous but better) seems like it would work fir what I want.

Sorry for the rant. It's just crazy what people think mopar parts are worth. I'm sorry it's only 300 in tubing at the most. If I understood steering geometry a little better I would build my own. Look like I might have to take a class.

its not "just a few tubes welded together" its a complete, designed suspension system..and "300 dollars in tubing"...really?, i bet theres definitely more than that. can you, do you have the equipment to mandrel bend square tubing?

It's simple suspension geometry. The concepts have not changed. A front suspension is a front suspension. Yes I'll give credit where due. But honestly do you feel that a front suspension design that is sold over and over needs to make that much markup? I can see making a profit but making the mortgage off every single kit sold is a little extream. Yes you gotta pay for someone's knowledge, but charging more than double what other company's charge for a similar product boggles my mind. And to think people just say "well it's for a mopar and production is low, that's why it's so much." is odd. Production is low on the 2010 mustang but yet I can buy a lightweight replacement front end for $500 http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...R-Tubular-K-Member-For-Stock-Motor-Mounts-Red. Now agreed it does not include all the suspension parts, but I have priced double adjustable shocks, springs, brakes, ect. And even adding in all high quality parts (well above the alterkation included parts) I still can't come up with what they charge. Not even close. I'm sorry but the research has been done. The jigs are made. Build time is not that extensive. I just feel bad for all the guys that drop the money. The only benefit I see is it's easy. It just bolts in. That is all. Well so does a starter. Guess we should charge $1000 for them too as there is alot more involved in building one than a k member built in a jig.

would you trust that lightweight 500 dollar k frame for a rustang? is it safe, drag strip only piece?

thats a pretty damn big IF isn't it?

its a very big IF joe....

Your total of 1900 is a little off. You cannot price a standard setup, and include a rack as well. That does not work. So your 1900 just dropped to 1400. Now I did nit do it the other way keepingthe rack, and removing standard steering, but let's assume it totals 500 as well. So if you source all the suspension parts, that come with the alterkation, and it totals 1400 that leaves 3600 for the k member. As that was bassicall all you did not have in your post. Take off 880 for wilwood brakes, and your at 2720. So your looking at 2720 for 200 in steel tubing and a weld job. When like I posted earlier you could get a comparable part for 500 for another brand. I don't see where your thinking that it's comparable to other stuff.
Also you numbers seem a little high. I have priced chris Alston stuff at $2000 but it needs brakes. So ad in another 880 give or take. Still no where near the alterkation. I called heidt's about installing Thier kit. Thy recommended the truck suspension to get the track width correct, as well as frame dimensions. It was ~$3000. That's complete just add wheels. So again your prices seem high no all your compairable parts. Unless when I called and spoke with them I got some great deal, but I doubt it as I went with the price off the website. Let's debate it. And understand the viewpoints from both sides.

well, whats your life worth? a cobbled up put together mess of junk for a couple grand, or a complete designed system thats been on the road of many car with thousands of miles racked up on them with ZERO reported problems across the board? u need to get over urself buddy.....

its nothing new..... i've been doin mopar since 73 and its always been "you wanna play youv'e got to pay". chevy"s have always been a dime a dozen. throw bubble gum at it it will run. most people know this going into it.

list price in germany for the AlterK is USD 6500,- w/o brakes....

xxxRMS%2D301.jpg

so back on subject any news on the car?

OMG, what did I get started, sorry guys, I have been traveling for my day job. YES, it was expensive, but the owner was nice eough to pop for the Reilly Motorsports AlterKtion front end. Let me answer a feww of the early questions real quick, then we will get back to the frontend. It will be a 545RFE 5 spd auto (RAM 1500 2WD) from PATC with 2600 stall convertor. Yes, rack and pinion steering and yes, the loop is an optional tow loop (I would've left it off, but the owner wanted it.
Okay, yes it was damn expensive (almost as much as the 6.1 Hemi which is rediculous). We paid something like $5600, but that was with upgraded Wilwood Red Caliper brakes with cross drilled and slotted rotors. I was busy doing all the alterations to the body, frame adds, and rough body damage repairs, so the owner did me a favor and spent the money on the front end to save time. I am a fabricator and was a welder by trade (years ago) and would 've never spent my own money on it (#1 cause I don't have that kind of disposable cash and #2 I would've struggled thru it and built one of my own), but that's water under the bridge now. All your comments are mostly correct, the geometry had to be worked out, the jigs are made, not much welding, but in the end, yes it bolts right in!!
Yes, I painted it with a gun metal gray metal flake and it turned out great. The headers, which you guys are going to love also (TBI chrome looking finish) fit right in from below and the passenger side is a little tight at the frame.
I am in Kansas now, but will be home on the 15th and will get the rest of the running gear in before Jan 2nd, and will send more pics over the holidays.
I tell you what, I test fit the frontend this summer, so I will post some of those to keep the food for thought going. Sorry I didn't get back to guys before now, also doing some internet dating or trying at least. Tom

looking good. what transmission are you going with? what harness?

Bouchillon Perfomance provided the harness with huge package of parts along with the 6.1 Hemi and RMS frontend. The computer they sold us was the one for an Automatic w/an upgraded stage II chip to get 489HP at the flywheel.

-
Back