6.1 hydro ticking

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
One hydro is slightly ticking. Sounds like a injector. Can this be because I use probably a wrong oil? I mean the brand. Viscosity is according to the manual.
It is just one hydro

yep my 2010 5.7 Challenger has ticked since new!!! 47,000 miles and no issues with it other than the tick

The 6.1's usually are not notorious for it like the 5.7's. Mine so far is nice and quiet with used lifters with 25K on them, but boy can you hear the whuuuuuurrrr of the oil jets.

It had that tick from beginning. Motor has approx 30k MPs. Is less loud when hot. I feel not well when I hear such sounds which doesn't belong there usually. Do you think it can be the oil brand?

Without hearing a sound clip, I would say it is most likely normal. Depending on the year in my experience at least some years are louder than others. I had a 2004 and a 2006 truck which were really loud, my 2009 Jeep is not as loud. The sound does go away after it warmers up.

You swapped cams correct? Wondering if new cam has slightly smaller base circle? Its been said before that these engine like .080" preload because of how the lifters were designed. Was it quiet before cam swap? What brand oil is in it now? Have you used the Mobil1 0W40 that is recommended yet?

My buddies 2010 Challenger had that hemi-tick with 5k miles on the car. He let me be his designated driver and told me to help him break it in. I bounced it off the rev limiter a few times while getting the car sideways in first and second, and the noise disappeared. It's never been back since. That was over 3 or 4 years ago.

Yes I swapped cams. But it ticked before also. But I think not so loud. Maybe it needs some miles. I just drove 2 miles after the swap.
Maybe I am simply too sensitive :D
No, I don't use Mobil 1, guess it is liqui moly. At least a good brand recommended by mayor German manufacturers. Don't know the brand for now. I will change the brand.

It can sometimes be exhaust too. These engines were notorious for breaking exhaust studs and that can often create a ticking noise. I had a really noticeable tick for a while, but found out it was actually the injectors. The fuel rail had hit the firewall and was amplifying the noise to the cabin significantly. Shortened up my rail just a bit and the noise mostly went away.

this might be wrong but i also hear a lot of stories with the hemis and broken valve springs. do these cause a tick or not?

new camshaft. no Change
new valve springs. behive type. no Change.

will check lifters as descriped. what if they are all good?

sometimes it sounds also like a rattling noise. What else can make those sounds?

TTI Header gaskets are good i think. didn't detect leakages but didn't search closely there...

Did you bleed them down when you swapped cams? You bleed them by poking a pick into the cups hole. They could be stuck in an in between spot of lash. Its a long shot but if you pull the rockers and check them all by pushing on each pushrod and find none that are NOT pumped up, you can bleed them all back off and let them "start-over" so to speak.

I know Inertia sales that their aftermarket pushrods for them cams are supposed to help reduce the tick. Guessing they are just a hair longer to keep the lifters under slightly more preload. Of course this would only be viable with a hydraulic lifter.

I remember seeing on one of the LX forums where some guys were going to a thicker weight oil to quite things down. I wouldn't recommend this but your motor so its up to you.

will check the Play on the pushrods. shouldn't be any vertical, right. only easy to turn.

if there is minor Play maybe inertia can help ... but why should the rods be too short?

a slightly thicker oil won't kill the engine. but if the tick is mechanical it won't help as well ... :)

-
Back