6.1 Temperature ?

-

cnddodgehead

Reaction score
So I am using a 2 speed fan set up . Anyone know what the factory temp settings are?

I have an 06 300c srt8 with the 6.1. My oil temp has a digital reading on my dash and operating temp is usually 225 to 230. analog coolant gauge usually reads between 200 and 230. I dont think its real accurate. i would say operating temps should be between 220 and 230.

CND,

I think the factory Tstat is a 213*, so yeah operating temp should be about as stated. However I understand that Mopar ran such a high temp to pass emissions standards, not any other reason

I started with the factory stat in mine, and was having trouble with hot starts and stop/go traffic because of underhood temps causing fueling problems. I dropped to a 185* and it runs like a champ staying under 200* and resolving my problems

Joe

Mine has a 180 t-stat in it as well. Very common on the LX car to go to a 180 stat and also set the fans to turn on at a lower than stock temp using a Diablosport.

Higher temps are for two reasons.

1. Emissions
2. Lower engine wear.

A 180-185 engine temp is a good compromise between wear and HP.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

203 is stock t-stat.

Hear is fan operation on a 2008 challenger SRT copied from OEM service info:

Theory of Operation

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) sends a signal to the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) to turn the cooling fan on or off depending upon the engine coolant temperature. The low speed cooling fan is commanded on when the temperature is at or above 103° C (217° F) and turned off at or below 101° C (214° F). The high speed cooling fan is commanded on when the temperature is at or above 108° C (226° F) and turned off at or below 105° C (221° F).

I guess its good to know if Im ever running from the cops and the temp gets to 230, that its all good and to keep running....

the pcm stuff is what im after .I am running a 2 speed fan set up . used them before and love them!
thanks blown 71
SO as a matter of opinion . what temp would everyone agree is the best to have the fans kick in ?
. just want to know what the optimal hp and torque temp /
Whats everyone thoughts?

The electric fans only come into play when there is no air flow , in town driving etc. Or you would need airflow across the ac condenser to keep its temps in check.
If stock thermostat is 203 degrees I would shoot for the stock reading of 217 to turn on .
Its very normal for fans not to kick on at all till they are in the 224-226 range.

right now I have the fans on at 180 and 195 , while sitting its running at approx. 190 ,
200 plus hmm seems high and hot!

Have the fans keep your engine ON the t-stat. If you have a 200* t-stat, the fans are wasted energy coming on at 185.

That's what the new engines are designed to run.
They also use a cap to run 18psi , so make sure your cap is sealing to maintain proper pressure.
Even with pure water the pressure keeps boiling point up past 250 degrees.

ok WOW .
So If you were me what temp would you have the fans come on ?
if im using a 180 t/stat

JOHN

I had mine come on 200 and whenever the ac was on also used a Jet 180 tstat.

-
Back