6.4 Header Options .. TTI Long Tubes vs Shorty / Stock K (also, anybody got used for sale?)

-

Dantra

69 Dart.. AKA Butters
Reaction score
6.4 going in 69 Dart, Stock K, PS, Column Automatic..

First.. Is the ceramic coating really worth it. I've seen some say it's not great. I've also seen some that have rust on them just from sitting.

Since there are not alot of options, I'm looking at TTI headers and kinda torn between Long vs Short. But I'm really leaning towards the shorty. Butters isn't a full time drag car but will see some track time just for fun. So it's mainly a driver and the long tubes just may be overkill.

The shorty appeals to me because because they're not hanging so low and 1 B body guy says that they are a better fit... but that's B body. They are 1-7/8 tube with 2-1/2" ball collectors. In the end, the shorty is a little more by the time you buy their mids. Their mids already have bungs installed as well. I'm currently running LA shorties and it looks as if these may tie into my existing exhast. They are listed as fitting all Gen 3 Hemis

Long tubes have their normal benefits for increased power but do hang lower. 1-3/4 tubes with a 3" collector. They also have 02 bungs but are much farter away, meaning longer cables needed etc. Plus I'm not sure how they will line up with current exhaust. Listed as fitting all Gen 3 but do not show 6.4 .. an oversite on their part.

Jut checking for some real world experience. If someone had either for sale, I'd obviously go the cheaper route tho.

Last edited:
I've run the 2 inch primary coated and thermal barrier with 3 1/2 collectors on a 74 Swinger. No issues. Fit very well. We have 1 3/4 with 3 inch collectors on the 73 Scamp now too. Have run that a lot on the street. No issues low hanging or bottoming out. Manual steering only with the big primaries. Pretty sure no stock power steering box on the 1 3/4 also. A Borgeson box may cure that. I've not researched the shorty stuff. Do they claim room for stock box and things?

I've run the 2 inch primary coated and thermal barrier with 3 1/2 collectors on a 74 Swinger. No issues. Fit very well. We have 1 3/4 with 3 inch collectors on the 73 Scamp now too. Have run that a lot on the street. No issues low hanging or bottoming out. Manual steering only with the big primaries. Pretty sure no stock power steering box on the 1 3/4 also. A Borgeson box may cure that. I've not researched the shorty stuff. Do they claim room for stock box and things?
Thanks for the input. The site does specify a borgeson box for both long tubes and shorty

I've been running TTI ceramic coated headers on my 5.7 for about 13 years now. They still look great and absolutely no rusting.

My 2 cents is that the TTi 2” primary long tubes fit my gen 3 / 69 dart mock up way better than the small block W2 TTi headers that I have now. Tucked up nice too.

As I return to a gen 3 swap, I am really leaning towards the TTi shorties. Looks like the motor can be dropped in with those bolted on. The long tubes were a PITA to hang from underneath because of the exhaust port angle.

My 2 cents is that the TTi 2” primary long tubes fit my gen 3 / 69 dart mock up way better than the small block W2 TTi headers that I have now. Tucked up nice too.

As I return to a gen 3 swap, I am really leaning towards the TTi shorties. Looks like the motor can be dropped in with those bolted on. The long tubes were a PITA to hang from underneath because of the exhaust port angle.
I did go with the TTI shorties. Perfect if you're running in stock location with a 5.7 intake, no low mount AC compressor and using TTI mounts.. I did not follow that pattern tho. I'm running 6.4 with 6.4 intake, low mount compressor and Schumacher /6 K mounts. So, I had some battles. But yes, the motor is in and out with headers on.. I've had it in and out at least a dozen times. And yes, you will need a Borgeson box..

Build Thread here. Plenty of pics and info
Things Change.. Butters is now getting a 392

I did go with the TTI shorties. Perfect if you're running in stock location with a 5.7 intake, no low mount AC compressor and using TTI mounts.. I did not follow that pattern tho. I'm running 6.4 with 6.4 intake, low mount compressor and Schumacher /6 K mounts. So, I had some battles. But yes, the motor is in and out with headers on.. I've had it in and out at least a dozen times. And yes, you will need a Borgeson box..

Build Thread here. Plenty of pics and info
Things Change.. Butters is now getting a 392
I will have manual steering and the stock location with the Schumacher mounts.

Fingers crossed…

-
Back