6 cyl trans on v8?

-

65cuda360

Reaction score
Spotted an ad on craigslist selling a "rebuilt" 727. Called seller and got a dumb kid on the phone. The kid told me the trans was behind a v6 in a truck. Did mopar put 727s in trucks with v6s? Could be that the kid was calling a /6 a v6. The big question is, if it is a 727, will it fit up to my 360? If so, I'll risk $150 on a "rebuilt" trans with 500 miles on it.

your best bet is to have him find the part numbers on the trans for you

i wouldnt count on the "rebuilt" thing. sometimes people get one rebuilt then run the car/truck until the engine dies. then they forgot they actually used the trans so it's not really freshly built.

Now this is just a hypothetical guess, but maybe the kid is identifying it by the pan shape and not by what it actually is. If it came off a V6 and has the same pan shape as a 727 then maybe it's actually an A518 overdrive trans and not a 727. I would get as much info as you can and pictures before making any sort of decision. I would personally consider it a good core until opened up and verified as rebuilt.

I think you have "the big question" wrong.....what is it? You first need to find out what trans it is and what it is from before worrying about risking any $$$

It's not far from here, I'll drive over and look at it, will the 6cyl trans fit my 79 360?

no...the bolt pattern are different....you need a small block 727

93 would be the 3.9L v/6 yes it will bolt up and work but is mostlikely a 904 0r a500

I'll go look at it and quiz the kid about the truck it came out of. I can trace the bolt pattern off of a small block 727 core I have. So if it was actually on a v6 in a 93 truck it will be a 904 if its not an od transmission? Is that a good or poor choice for a transmission coming off the v6?

Would 93 still be a hydraulically shifted trans or is that new enough to be electronically shifted?

Would 93 still be a hydraulically shifted trans or is that new enough to be electronically shifted?

93 would be hydraulic shifted...electronic did not show up until 96

more than likely (owner of multiple v6 dakotas) it's an A500, which is a sweet trans and i have one behind my 360 and it holds up fine and it turns 2k at 65mph with 3.90 gears! but if i remember right you have to modify the trans tunnel to stuff one in an a body

I picked up the trans off the kid for $100. I traced a 727 core bolt pattern on carddoard and it matched up. It is a 904. Now I have a few new challenges to address...[1] My 65 2 cable shifter-looking at imperial ect for options... [2] The 93 trans has a larger hole for the speedo...looks like it was electric,what will fit? [3]This trans has the typical 3 pin ns&backup light switch...no prob there, but there is another single pin switch on the rear of the main case right above the pan rail what is it? [4] There is a notch in the "bellhousing up near the top.....what for? [5] Will my original torque converter work? who sells the ring adapter for my 360 crank to the early converter? This trans gets me away from the ball and trunion driveshaft, I got the cut off end of the old shaft with yokes, big help there!

I picked up the trans off the kid for $100. I traced a 727 core bolt pattern on carddoard and it matched up. It is a 904. Now I have a few new challenges to address...[1] My 65 2 cable shifter-looking at imperial ect for options... [2] The 93 trans has a larger hole for the speedo...looks like it was electric,what will fit? [3]This trans has the typical 3 pin ns&backup light switch...no prob there, but there is another single pin switch on the rear of the main case right above the pan rail what is it? [4] There is a notch in the "bellhousing up near the top.....what for? [5] Will my original torque converter work? who sells the ring adapter for my 360 crank to the early converter? This trans gets me away from the ball and trunion driveshaft, I got the cut off end of the old shaft with yokes, big help there!

Could #3 be for the overdrive? #4 might be for a crank sensor. Otherwise subscribed so I can learn something about the later model transmission

2- the hole is not larger, the used a standard sized hole for many years and the old cable adapter will fit fine

3- thats the torque converter lockup solenoid, the newer 904 transmissions do not lock the converter hydraulically like the old ones

4- it was in a 93 dodge so its for the magnum crank sensor

5- you will have to check but I think it may but I'm not positive because of the electronic lockup torque

I looked again....the speedo hole on my 65 trans is about 1", the 93 trans has about a 1.5" hole. Is it possible to use a non lockup converter and ignore the switch? I've heard that lockup converters are bad news. I haven't had time or place to play with cars since getting married in 92 and having a wife and kids. Damm it's good to be back!:cheers:

I looked again....the speedo hole on my 65 trans is about 1", the 93 trans has about a 1.5" hole. Is it possible to use a non lockup converter and ignore the switch? I've heard that lockup converters are bad news. I haven't had time or place to play with cars since getting married in 92 and having a wife and kids. Damm it's good to be back!:cheers:

You can tell a lockup trans by the smooth round end of the input shaft.
And if it is a lockup converter trans, then you can't use a non lockup converter (Yes I am positive)

The shaft sticking out the front of the trans (Input shaft)

Attachments

• shafts.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 156

Your 65 had a smaller speedo pinion. In 66 they went to the large pinion. Didn't it have a speedo pinion adapter housing in it when you bought it?

No you cannot use a non lockup converter in a lockup trans. The input spline count is different as well as having a machined part on the lockup trans input shaft that won't mate with a non lockup converter. That switch on the back of the trans. is to unlock the converter when you apply the brakes so if I'm not mistaken it needs a wire run from the brake light switch for it to operate right. If it's not hooked up it could cause the engine to stall if you brake very hard. It'll act like your driving a stick shift when you don't push in the clutch when braking hard.

Looks like my best bet is to sell this 904......it is lockup. Looking at my rear diff options I'll have way more in the ford 9" I have or an 8 3/4" I was looking at than an explorer 8.8.

Ok, did a bit more research, and I'm tired of playing around. Gotta get a clear goal so I can have a chance of getting my car together before the weather warms up and I get busy as hell at work. The lockup 904 is no longer an option....neither are the ford 9 or the 8 3/4. Went and wasted half a day at the junkyard. And...$400 later.........

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 119
  • untitled.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 128
Don't blame ya, I'd pass on the lockup trans. too. Too bad your not close to me. I know of 3 904's near me that are good deals. From what I've read the 8.8 is a good option, just make sure and get one from a Explorer as their heavier duty. If your not running crazy horsepower you might also look for a Mopar 8-1/4". They'll take quite a bit of abuse and you can usually find them cheap and if you get one from an A-body it's a direct bolt in.

Yup....been lookin at it for a bit........gonna have to do a trans tunnel tune up.....thats why I was lookin at the 727 or 904 route. I just can't come up with a good combo of $ and gear ratios that will equal what I can get with $400 at the junkyard. I'd leave the 904 2 cable shift 65 only trans in my car if it didn't cost over $5oo to change 2 cables and a few seals. I'd run an 8 3/4" rear if it wasn't $1500 for what I want. It's hard to be Mopar to the core and a cheap-*** at the same time.

-
Back