/6 headers

-
Don, I am going to pull the intake and exhaust, on my 170 Cuda, in a couple of weeks. If you want to come up to my place and trial fit your pipes you are more then welcome. Actually, if you could make a set of "headers" for the 170 in a early "A" you would have a exclusive market. I am willing to let you do a test fit for these also, if you wish. We could check with a stock intake, a Offie manifold, and a Clifford manifold. Let me know if you would like to do this, and we can schedule it.

That would give me time to save up some cash again for them.
I have exhausted my fun funds. But I have the intake .:cheers:

461.jpg

Yes Charrlie we would love to do this. We will start the modification on the PowerPipe this weekend. I will build another set of the medium my length with the modifaction for that application to bring also. 2 weeks is kinda pushing it for the time. We have started A couple projects that need to be finished by then. We would have the time after that. Would this time frame be ok 3 weeks to 1 month tops, Don.

That would give me time to save up some cash again for them.
I have exhausted my fun funds. But I have the intake .:cheers:
Cool that you got the intake, 1 step closer!!! Sure was nice of Charrlie to help us with this. I will bring A set of SC's and DC's not modified just to see if they would work. Talk to you soon.

Yep! Charrlie is a very helpful person and good guy.
He has been a great help
for allot of folks. Thanks Charrie and Mister Twister

Thats the way it should be. Helping each other, rather than the Hatfields and Mc Coys. Keep yall updated Don.

Yes Charrlie we would love to do this. We will start the modification on the PowerPipe this weekend. I will build another set of the medium my length with the modifaction for that application to bring also. 2 weeks is kinda pushing it for the time. We have started A couple projects that need to be finished by then. We would have the time after that. Would this time frame be ok 3 weeks to 1 month tops, Don.

Actually, that might work out even better. Code enforcement just sent me a "love letter". Got to do a little clean up of spare parts, and get a couple of cars running. Got a truck sitting here, that hasn't run in about 5 years. It's a box truck, I use for storage, of equipment. Has to be able to start and move under it's own power, to be legal.

Would suggest you bring a good camera, to take pictures, so you can see the good, or have reference to problem area's, when you get back home. I am tech challenged.

We should probably take this part to private E-mail. You can contact me at [email protected], but not from a G-mail acct. I have blocked all G-mail, due to excessive spam.

Actually, that might work out even better. Code enforcement just sent me a "love letter". Got to do a little clean up of spare parts, and get a couple of cars running. Got a truck sitting here, that hasn't run in about 5 years. It's a box truck, I use for storage, of equipment. Has to be able to start and move under it's own power, to be legal.

Would suggest you bring a good camera, to take pictures, so you can see the good, or have reference to problem area's, when you get back home. I am tech challenged.

We should probably take this part to private E-mail. You can contact me at [email protected], but not from a G-mail acct. I have blocked all G-mail, due to excessive spam.
Yes yard clean up, with 4 teakies, 2 trucks, trailer for the 4 wheelers,with A small yard. It's just A matter of time for us as well.

I will bring the camera, and the few sets I talked about.
You are tech challenged? You forgot more than most people know you should say he he.

We will E-mail you soon and thanks again Don. No G-mail here!!

More choices for the slant. 225 with A/C, P/S, dip stick and trans lines not A problem here!!!
31inequal2.jpg

31inequal.jpg

31" equal length headers, no clearance problems here, alot of room left over.

Hey Mr. Twister. When would you like to come up, to my place? We could try your pipes for fit, on my 66 Cuda with the 170. I have a stock intake, a Clifford 4 bbl, and a Offie 4 bbl. I am about ready to pull my manifolds. Would next weekend work for you ( 3-29 or 3-30-08 )?

Hello Charrlie, I'm going to email you this evening after our play day. All work and no play makes for a dull Don.

Still looking for some info about that application before we make the ride up to your place. The water pump and starter area don't look like they will be the problem area. We'll see. Talk to you soon.

Thanks again, Don.

Don,
You need to learn the fuel line modification trick.
Your gas line/filter right next to the header heat is not good.

Here is the trick:
Come off the pump,with the filter right behind the alternator.Alternator blows cool air on the filter,keeping gas cool.Come up and over to the carb.
Everything is kept away from exhaust heat.
If you are running a stock fuel pump (non-adjustable)the fuel pressure gauge is overkill in my book.But to each his own.

Have fun !

Picture 470.jpg

Thanks for the info. We read that post somewhere? This will not be there long. Yes the Headers are alot closer then the PowerPipe-DC we normaly run is over a foot from the line and filter and no over heating problem so far. We have a fuel log going in soon, this will put the line and filter elsewhere. This car has a fuel injection supply system, ready for the long rod, turbo motor in the garage. We need the gauge if regulator goes hay wire, we need to know!! See ya Don.

Thannks Charrlie_S and Mr Twister!!
I wish I could help in some way to get the cast iron off a 170/6 in a early A body.
Thanks for thie update and can't wait.

No problem memike. The hot box connection we just finished, will have custom duel exhaust. These will fit the 170, we should have them done soon. Talk to you later, back to work.

No problem memike. The hot box connection we just finished, will have custom duel exhaust. These will fit the 170, we should have them done soon. Talk to you later, back to work.

Nothing is better then good news first thing this morning.
I will be patiently waiting your update and pictures.:cheers:

So Memike,
did you get the powerpipes? are they on? is it all good? its been months and months, whats the latest?

So Memike,
did you get the powerpipes? are they on? is it all good? its been months and months, whats the latest?

No word yet. still driving Victoria on one bbl and cast iron.

Here is some questions on this exhaust subject. Since this began on 1/08 and still continues on 12/08 this has went from the pipe to shortie hedders. What happened to the power pipe? I kind of liked the different style it lent. I have a set of super comps now and have not installed them yet. There is a problem with the thickness of the flange on the hedder being thinner than the flange on the 4bbl offy I have. I was shown by the friend I bought them from a way to weld on a nut to thicken it up to match but have not done this as of yet. On the power pipe, is this going to have the same problem matching it up to a aluminum intake on thickness? In addition will some sort of drop pipes be made to get this to go under the car to complete the exhaust? As my hedders are long tube and still need something made to do this my question is since the exits on the power pipe come out and point at the steering column are you planning to make long types of collectors that will bend down and go under the car a ways to hook up dual pipes for exhaust?

Here is some ideas to kick around. I read this entire thread positive and negative and wonder. First could documented proof of HP and power gain be obtained via a dyno in a controled test listing the variables on type of intake, exhaust manifolds and hedders and the results? It seems to me this little dabble into designing the parts you are doing could bring in some bucks with the right steps. First, there must be someone on this site who runs a Mazak machine and can cut tons of flanges at a savings. Same goes for the materials. as for the finish there is someone on this site who does powder coating. Possibly some contact that direction to get a nice price on some alumacoating for your product? Not long ago on the slant site we had a group buy on Offy valve covers and it went well. Since there is a market, at least a reasonable size in peple wanting something for their slants maybe something could be put into the works to get these on the street? That is some of my views on this. I know you were not here trying to sell but since you did show up you have been making different items and throwing prices around so I figure you are fishing some to test the waters, (what person wouldnt) and there is interest SOOOOOO?????????
Chas.

So who makes the best headers for a slant 6 that is the best buy. I need a set for my valiant.

Uhhhmmm,these are uglee,but look at the design carefully.of course its hard to see the welding after the intake and carb are installed,so I guess they arent that uglee.

dual intake and exhaust.JPG

duals.JPG

two for two.JPG

More choices for the slant. 225 with A/C, P/S, dip stick and trans lines not A problem here!!!
31inequal2.jpg

31inequal.jpg

31" equal length headers, no clearance problems here, alot of room left over.

..........ummmm isn't the point of the tranny "cooler" lines running out of the tranny, into the radiator, then back into the tranny to cool the fluid? Wont running your tranny "cooler" lines right in between and that close to the headers totally defeat that? Other than that A+ for effort!

Cliffords products are great but their tech guys are dicks over the phone. I was interested in buying a new set a few years ago and called their tech line twice, both times it was just short of insulting. I have never given Clifford a dime of my money, I got these ones at the Portland swapmeet along with an Offy intake for 60 bucks from some old guy that just didn't need them any more and had them stuffed under a table in his booth. :D
100_2752.jpg

I think that the next time I do a slant I will try the Dutra Dual style.

-
Back