6 speed twin plate clutch

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
Hey Lads,

I am trying to install my TR6060 to the back of my 5.7. Everything is factory challenger 6spd: Bellhousing, flywheel, clutch plates, and pressure plate. I have installed the factory Mopar pilot bearing. I used a clutch alignment tool when bolting up both the pressure plate to the flywheel. I made sure that I bolted the second clutch plate around the right way, (one side was marked flywheel side).I can get the transmission input shaft to go through the first clutch plate, but I can't seem to get it to go any further, I try jiggling it and turning it in every perceivable way known to man and it just won't go in! I applied a very light smear of high temp bearing grease on the splines as well. I checked with the clutch alignment tool and it goes in, is there some sort of trick to doing this as it would need to be BANG on to go through two sets of splines. I've spent a few hours on this and still no luck. :banghead:

I just double checked and took some more photos, the alignment shaft definitely engages both sets of splines on the discs and they are aligned. I've only ever installed boxes to single plate clutches which can be a bit of jiggling alone, but I can imagine having two to engage the transmission must have to be EXACTLY spot on otherwise it's going to want to bind in the splines. ANy tips or advice would be great!

I like to take some long bolts and cut the heads off screw them into the bellhousing to help aid in keeping it straight.
If it still doesn't want to go , you may have to take it apart again and slide the second clutch disc on to the trans input shaft to make sure their isn't a burr , the plastic alignment tool would be more forgiving if it had something wrong.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I ended up taking off the pressure plate again to check that the second clutch disc did in fact go on to the input shaft properly. What happened was it would go on, but it would only slide on about 2". I ended up cleaning the splines of the input shaft (it appered clean but had a small amount of dirt/gunk in the splines) once I cleaned this up the clutch disc would slide along the whole shaft. Bolted it all back up and the box slid through both discs this time but I still had to use the bolts to get it to fully close up (the gap was only about 1/2" this time as opposed to 3" previously) and engage the shaft tip in to the pilot bearing.

-
Back