63 valiant 904 push button trans removal help!

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I'm in the process of removing the old burned out 170 from my 63 valiant to make room for a fresh 225. When I say I'm in the process I mean the engine/transmission are half in and half out of the car in my garage. I cant seem to get the parking brake mechanism cable located on the outside of the tailshaft disconnected so I can finish rippin her out. I know the smart thing to do would have been to disconnect it before it has hanging me up but I guess I overlooked it. Whats the magic trick to disconnecting this cable. I cant seem to find any info anywhere. I hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew with this push button business. Never messed with one before. I'm not looking forward to trying to get it all back together later on down the road. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Loosen the park brake clamp at the back of the tranny. Remove the plug from the little cover where the park brake goes in. Then you can stick a small screwdriver in and move a spring which presses on a groove in the cable to hold it in place. It should pull out then.

If yours is like mine the plug would not come loose and I didn't want to break the housing or strip out the plug. So remove the 5 or 6 bolts that hold the cable housing to the transmission ( yes the oil will flow if you haven't drained it) and leave the housing with the cable.

That cable actually runs a parking pawl, not a brake. It is held in place similar to the shift cable. There is a wire clip that snaps into a groove in the cable end. Go through the hole with the allen head plug like grimreaper said or if it won't come out use Dart6's procedure. Just be carefull you don't kink the cable or bend any of the retainer parts as they are getting a bit hard to find. It's usually the shift cable that's the harder one to get out!

. It's usually the shift cable that's the harder one to get out!

The shift cable seemed to pop right out. I stuck a screw driver in the hole and it just popped right out. maybe I just got lucky.

I ended up just removing the 5 bolts and removing the entire assembly. It makes things easier when you can see whats going on inside.

-
Back