63 valiant 904 typewriter tranny rebuild

-

big66440

Reaction score
Any one know of a good rebuild kit for a 63 valiant push button tranny? I know there's differences in these and the non push button ones,also is it a straightforward rebuild like a regular 904? I've had a bit of experience rebuilding auto trannys (we had a 904 we used to practice on in auto mechanics class), thanks in advance.

I get all my tranny parts from Midwest transmission supply in omaha nebraska(1-800-731-4510). Use gregs ext. tell him what yer worken on & what you need they have do alrite by me every time (with greg).

I got a rebuild kit for my 64 & 65 904's for ~$25 on ebay. I don't think the cable-shift valve body makes much difference (maybe an O-ring). The real difference is that 65 was the last year of the rear pump, which allowed push-starting. Also, the cable-park box has some gaskets. The rear band was also a multi-wrap type, but I expect a later one would work, just turn the adjustment screw to the later specs. These valve bodies also use a different filter. If you install a later one, I read that you can starve the rear pump.

Thank you guys for all the info,like many of us he's on a tight budget and trying to stretch his dollar as much as possible.

-
Back