64 dart budget (whatevers laying around) build-up

-

52fordF-3

new to A bodies
Reaction score
I've got a pretty good start so i thought i'd start a build thread. any thoughts ideas good or bad appreciated.

The basic plan is to build an IHRA legal 1/8 mile car to run at local tracks this summer, I'm more of a traditional rodder but i'm going for a 70's style.

I litterally drug out of the woods, ($500 off craigslist)....
vbpgimage.php

so the interior was a complete loss, i've got the 6-point cage and sub frame started, everthing is tacked into place. plan to lengthen rear bars and build mounting for fuel cell, battery and NO2 bottle in the trunk and have a buddy Tig weld everything....
vbpgimage.php

I have a 9" with 5.13 gears and a spool with standard 31-spline axles, i'm convering to disc brakes (is a parking brake required by IHRA?) also i'd like to narrow but might be out of the budget.
vbpgimage.php

1st off, sorry the hardcore mopars guys, but that chevy engine in background of above picture was free so i thought what the hell, i've got some chevy parts laying around.
it's a stock rebuild 4 bolt main 350, i swapped on some very reworked 1964 58cc heads, a slightly used semi-nasty 3000-7000 rpm solid lifter cam with an new gear drive and timing chain cover. Got a used intake, valve covers, water pump pulleys etc......
vbpgimage.php

have a used and abused th350 with a 3500 stall converter going in also.

so here's how it looks light now; with some vintage crager 2-piece super trick front wheels. I used a "Scarebird" front disc brake kit and also changed to a dual master cylinder, bla bla bla ...
vbpgimage.php

got the slant 6-running and verified push button automatic works; next step is to remove (anyone in need of a super cheap 225/904 ?)
vbpgimage.php

anyone recommendations/modifications for the front suspesion/steering..... all i've done is crank the torsion bars alittle bit...

I got the disc brake brakets made by scarebird, went together pretty easy...... looking into other suspension ideas, don't really want to spend alot, planning to build some adjustable radius arms. we'll see........
vbpgimage.php

took a day off work just cause the it warmed up alittle......
yanked the 225/904 and temp installed the 350 cheby, th350 tranny. i'd like to move back and lower, but not sure how much modifying i wanna do, i would like to drive this summer.
acouple more shots....
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

poor poor mopar could have put a 318 or 360 into it....... good luck with the build

Nothin wrong with a chebbie motor. Everybody's got one layin around. Sorta makes findin parts easy. I think it's cool It's a hot rod build at it's truest form. Usin what you got.

While I don't agree with the chevy motor personally, I admire this sort of build. I like the "build what ya got" type stuff. That's hot rodding! Looking forward to hearing about the build as I love budget stuff, so keep us updated.

And just an idea, but ladder bars with leaf springs would be kind of cool, and pretty cheap.

Pic is of a nova I believe but same idea either way.

completed_rear_end.jpg

WOW that really looks good from the first picture that you showed. Good that you saved it from the crusher and build the way you want it.Anerican injunity and not a rice burner

Glad to see someone else is into the traditional drag car look .Here are sum pics of my 64 "270" post from last Saturday .BTW im running slapper bars on mine for traction and its working good enough to get the wheels up ...

Attachments

• 132994961_6JdrcPJn_07.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 774
  • 132994962_zISMpmyr_08.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 798
hemizach; I am planning a single "ladder" type bar to control axle wrap, it'll look alot like your picture since i'm using a 9" for also.

shocker; i was debating using "traction bars" but i think i might end up going spring over.... not for sure yet

so i got time to make some motor and tranny mounts today, engine is alittle farther forward and higher than i wanted, but about in a factory location..........next is headers

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

already have these wheels with slicks; so am just going to make fit car....... they touch the leaf springs and fender.
vbpgimage.php

moved leaf spring under uni-frame rails, made cross brace that can be slid forward/aft to i can get shackle mount exactly right (tire has to be centered in wheel well perfectly to fit and not rub)
vbpgimage.php

so got perfect width measurement for axle and started chopping 9" that i got of craig's list, it came with 5.13's and a spool.... gonna order new shafts later...
vbpgimage.php

nice build keep the pics coming and the build going

must admit i broke the budget here, i orded some "Yukon" brand aftermarket axle shafts that are 6" shorter than original $375.00 delivered (both side are now the same length and bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2 pattern to match the wheels i had) also some new wheels studs for IHRA

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

I had the ford 8.8 rear disc brakes purchased at a swap meet years ago, i'm sure they were a good deal if i bought with no use at that time. (I removed parking brake assembly because is wouldn't fit)

couple cans of rustoleum paint (yes over rust and dirt.........) new brake lines and it's ready to intall...................

vbpgimage.php

Love the theme of your project and could care less if it is a mix of Chev, Ford and Mopar parts. Hell, throw some Volvo and Honda parts into the mix if they solve a problem. Some people have a lot more disposable income than most of us. I'd rather see a sweat and blood backyard build like this than 10 more trailer queens built by some custom shop and paid for with a credit card. Go dude! Mopar guys think of it this way - he could of just let the thing sit in the woods and rust into oblivion. Another one saved, it's my new battle cry!

gettin alittle done here and there, so after crankin on torsion bars to get the front end up about 2 or 3 inches it also moved the front wheels forward in the wheel well opening. to much for my liking......

so i lengthened front radius rods and made them adjustable (worked really well), we'll see how it affected camber/caster and hopefully i can adjust acceptable. i started a thread hoping to get some advice or find someone that done this before http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1350707#post1350707

vbpgimage.php

CHEBBY? AGH! I feel like my eyes have been raped.

Kidding. I wont bust your chops too much, at least youre not putting a foreign powerplant in it. AYEE...

Good luck on the build

What did you use 'jig wise' to cut/shorten and square the axle tubes?

Looking good

ps, Im not gonna wig about the sbc becuase it will blow up not long after it gets to the track...and then you can put a bigger better 360 in it.
L O L

So what do those heads flow , camel hump 461x?

What did you use 'jig wise' to cut/shorten and square the axle tubes?

So what do those heads flow , camel hump 461x?

I have a 1.000 diameter stainless bar and a few homemade pucks the fit in the housing ends. I also always make a 2" long inner sleeve that is machined to the exact I.D of the tubes. I press-in sleeves using bar and pucks, then intall center section and new axle shaft with bearings and tighten bearing retaining plates. it's pretty easy to tell if your lined up then. I tac welding in 4 locations, remove axles/center section, re-intall 1" bar and spacers and completely weld.

don't know about the heads flow numbers, there not the infamous double hump 461's heads, these are 896's that came with small valves (changed to 2.02/1.60) but i like they only have 59cc combution heads before decking, so compession is 10;1 even with stock pistions.
other than clearancing the valves no work was dont, (but this series has heavy casting, no cracking or other problems) nitrous is in the plans down the road, maybe by end of summer

I have a 1.000 diameter stainless bar and a few homemade pucks the fit in the housing ends. I also always make a 2" long inner sleeve that is machined to the exact I.D of the tubes. I press-in sleeves using bar and pucks, then intall center section and new axle shaft with bearings and tighten bearing retaining plates. it's pretty easy to tell if your lined up then. I tac welding in 4 locations, remove axles/center section, re-intall 1" bar and spacers and completely weld.

don't know about the heads flow numbers, there not the infamous double hump 461's heads, these are 896's that came with small valves (changed to 2.02/1.60) but i like they only have 59cc combution heads before decking, so compession is 10;1 even with stock pistions.
other than clearancing the valves no work was dont, (but this series has heavy casting, no cracking or other problems) nitrous is in the plans down the road, maybe by end of summer

The 292 heads were really good 'for a chevy', I believe they came on 307's of all things..

"Use what ya got", that's a true hot rodder concept.. I had a goodwrench crate 350 laying around, fresh th-400 I scored when I worked at a scrap yard, found me a '63 chevy truck body ('60 apachie quad headlight front end). Had it built and on the road in 1-month with under $1,000 in it...

Personally I think this car is cool as hell. Tons of personality. Good luck with the build:thumrigh:

-
Back