I want to use a 1965 Barracuda floorshifter like these :

cczmpeea.jpg

with a 904 non push button. The problem is how to connect the
shifter with my transmission. I just found some shiftercables for
a 904pb an this Kind of shifter.

Do you have any ideas? Did someone of you already use the same parts
in his car?

Please help me, thanks :thumblef:

Try Imperial Services. I bought the cables from them for my 65 Dodge Dart Wagon with a slant 6 and non pushbutton cable trans. It is a one year only option. They make the cables to order. They are difficult to get a hold of. If you do get a good contact email, please pass it on, I need a speedo cable now. Click on this link and scroll down to find your application.

http://www.imperialservices.net/Aparts.html

You should ask further because I read on here in the past that a push button trans. has a different valve body from a 65 trans.

you will need to make a custom shift lever with the proper ration for that shifter, the length of the lever determines the ratio.., basicly you can measure the throw of the cable on the shifter from park to first gear then do the same on the transmission shift lever and determine if you need to shorten the lever and by how much

1960-1965 Console, and Column Shifter Conversion Cable Kits
These cable kits allow the use of your stock '65 Console or column shifter with a '66-up transmission. All conversion kits feature our Heavy Duty shift cables with Binder Wire Technology. Includes Heavy Duty cable; stainless steel lower bracket and shift lever, lightweight spring for valve body detent, all required hardware, and comprehensive installation guide

This is the text from Imperial Services. When i read this, i think this should work with my 65 shifter an the newer tramsmission. I hope this fits, or where is my mistake ?

1960-1965 Console, and Column Shifter Conversion Cable Kits

These cable kits allow the use of your stock '65 Console or column shifter with a '66-up transmission. All conversion kits feature our Heavy Duty shift cables with Binder Wire Technology. Includes Heavy Duty cable; stainless steel lower bracket and shift lever, lightweight spring for valve body detent, all required hardware, and comprehensive installation guide

This is the text from Imperial Services. When i read this, i think this should work with my 65 shifter an the newer tramsmission. I hope this fits, or where is my mistake ?

I may be wrong but I read it as he is using a push button trans and want to use a 65 floor shifter with it.

Try Imperial Services. I bought the cables from them for my 65 Dodge Dart Wagon with a slant 6 and non pushbutton cable trans. It is a one year only option. They make the cables to order. They are difficult to get a hold of. If you do get a good contact email, please pass it on, I need a speedo cable now. Click on this link and scroll down to find your application.

You can get the imperial Services stuff through:

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/

I think Dave at BPE may have the guy at Imperial's unlisted number, or something. He helped me resolve a minor issue with the Imperial cable I got.

ATB

BC

does anyone have an aftermarket cable shifter to compare the detents to the 65 unit??

the 65trans is a 1 year only-- you can swap valve bodies with the P B style & make it a P B style tranny & vice versa.

charlie S is well versed in this trans issue-- he might know the answer about the 65 shifter also> Lawrence

You should ask further because I read on here in the past that a push button trans. has a different valve body from a 65 trans.

I think that is correct. 1965 transmissions were still cable-shift, but used the later shift pattern which is still current today (P-R-N-D-2-1). That is why they can work with a 66+ transmission with the correct cable adapter. Their valve body is different than 64- and "1 year only" for both 904 & 727.

Hi guys, I need your help

I want to use a 1965 Barracuda floorshifter like these :

cczmpeea.jpg

with a 904 non push button. The problem is how to connect the
shifter with my transmission. I just found some shiftercables for
a 904pb an this Kind of shifter.

Do you have any ideas? Did someone of you already use the same parts
in his car?

Please help me, thanks :thumblef:
I have a 65 shifter console for sale if needed.$30 plus shipping.:DPM me if interested.
View attachment Parts to sell 077.jpg

View attachment Parts to sell 080.jpg

64 and 65 transmissions are the same. Cables are different due to just the length. 66 and up are all the same rod shifter.

does that shifter have a wood grain inserts? Never seen that...If you want to use a 66 later trans with that console, a Hurst Pro-matic 2 fits in that console and looks stock. You just have to cut the mounting tabs of the tunnel and hard mount the Hurst. Even the ball looks stock, but doesnt have the side inserts.

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 648
FYI, that $180 cable kit is pretty slick. If I knew way back when when my 65 trans took a dump, IK would have gone this direction. Cheaper than a rebuilt 65 trans and later 904's are pennies, but you still have the old flange end to deal with...

... but you still have the old flange end to deal with...
Most people are happy to get rid of the flange output since the drive-shaft's "Detroit" "ball and trunion" front joint is rare and $$$ to repair. I you change to a sliding yoke output, you get a standard, inexpensive front U-joint. I even saw a post where an early-A guy kept his original tranny, but had a drive shop fabricate a special U-joint w/ in-line sliding yoke to avoid the Detroit joint. Interesting that my 65 C-body has a cable-shift tranny w/ sliding yoke output and column shift instead of push-buttons. That was one year only and confuses tranny shops.

Here is the good email to use to get a hold of imperial services

[email protected]

... I even saw a post where an early-A guy kept his original tranny, but had a drive shop fabricate a special U-joint w/ in-line sliding yoke to avoid the Detroit joint. ......

Thats a standard 4X4 driveshaft design. you can get them made and MP used to sell a kit for a conversion from flange to spline, basically a flange with a U joint, splined inner and receiver, just weld a driveshaft onto it.

imperial services also makes a kit to use a push button shifter on a non cable tranny

Here is the good email to use to get a hold of imperial services

[email protected]

thanks for posting this email adress - as i was ripped off (he sent my a shifting cable, which was exactly 1 inch longer than it should be. he agreed that they have made a mistake - and thats it for now - since he confirmed that they made a mistake, contact was aborted) by Steve Carett from Imperial Services in 2010 and still trying to catch him.

-
Back