65 Barracuda Shifter on a 904 non PushButton

-
I even saw a post where an early-A guy kept his original tranny, but had a drive shop fabricate a special U-joint w/ in-line sliding yoke to avoid the Detroit joint.

My car has a driveshaft just like you described. There's a sticker on it from the shop that fab'ed it. Works good. No vibration. I have no idea how many miles are on it.

Hi all, first time poster here. Recently purchased a 1965 Barracuda w/273 2bbl/auto on floor and have a list of things that I would like to do. Not 100% sure of anything, but I have spotted a 1975 doge dart slant six w/auto on column and was curious if transmission would work for rebuild and use in Barracuda to reduce down time? Also am planning for disc brake large bolt hole upgrade and have differential/axle/driveshaft for use also. Comments appreciated!

Hi all, first time poster here. Recently purchased a 1965 Barracuda w/273 2bbl/auto on floor and have a list of things that I would like to do. Not 100% sure of anything, but I have spotted a 1975 doge dart slant six w/auto on column and was curious if transmission would work for rebuild and use in Barracuda to reduce down time? Also am planning for disc brake large bolt hole upgrade and have differential/axle/driveshaft for use also. Comments appreciated!

welcome,,and to answer your question,,the slant 6 trans will not bolt to your 273 V 8

Pettybluedart....Do you have any information on that Wood Grain Insert shown in the console pictures you posted? I have a pretty seriously pitted '65 Console top and that Wood Grain would go a long way towards saving it.
Pishta.....Any more pictures of that Console/Hurst Shifter set-up?
Thanks...
Bob

the 2 motors use completley differnt bell housing,,,on the auto the bell housing is part of the trans,,,they will not interchange

Thank you again fstfish66! Just found a '74 dart w/318 auto, gonna see what kind of tease i'm getting myself into now..

Thank you again fstfish66! Just found a '74 dart w/318 auto, gonna see what kind of tease i'm getting myself into now..

The 904 in the 74 Dart will work in your Barracuda. If you are keeping the 273, you will need to get the center hub of the torque convertor in the 74 model 904 turned down to fit in the end of the 273 crank. The hole in the tail end of the 273 crank is ever so slightly smaller than the hole in the tail end of the 318 crank. It's an easy fix, but will make you :banghead: if you find out at the moment you're trying to bolt the transmission up to a 273. Been there, done that...pitched the cuss fit! LOL Good luck.

-
Back