65 Barracuda Sway Bar Upgrade

-

fjr

Reaction score
I added an Addco PN 751 (1-1/8") sway bar kit to my 65 Barracuda may years ago. My set-up is exactly like emsvitil's 64 Valiant Installation.

Now that I've got the lower control arms out to replace the bushings, I noticed that the Addco sway bar tabs seem to have been pivoting on the shock absorber bolt. The bolts were tight so I would have to weld the tabs to keep them from moving. However, I have a set of LCAs from a sway bar-equipped 72 Duster I could use to replace my 65 LCAs (see Lower control arm interchangablity?). However, the top Addco bar's end links tip inwards while the top of the end links from one for the 72 Duster appear to tip outwards. That probably explains why the installation notes for the Addco PN 751 do NOT suggest a this bar is a factory type replacement which mounts in the factory location.

Potentially, I could invert the bar so that the bar's end holes tip outward rather than inward so as to use my 72 LCAs. I've got the LCAs out because I'm upgrading to slider disc brakes so it looks like I might also get an interference with the sway bar if I mount it this way.

Has anyone upgraded a 1965 Barracuda Formula S with an Addco bar?

I just mocked up my Addco bar yesterday in advance of a front end rebuild. I plan to weld the brackets into place. If the Addco setup has one downfall, it's the erector set mounts. A couple well placed tack welds should help a lot.

As for the factory tabs, I don't know. I think the Addco bar is a bit narrower than the factory Formula S bar. Bending the Addco to the width of the factory bar might be one way.

If you are converting to the later 73-up BBP disk brakes, it is possible to switch the spindles and calipers side-to-side putting the calipers behind the spindle for sway bar clearance.

Without pics I can only assume the later model disc brake calipers will need to be mounted in the 1 o'clock position with the addco bar, same as if it were the factory bar for your year model. I would weld the Addco tabs to the arms at the recommended shock bolt position. The factory bar tabs position did twist on the lower arms anyway. Welded and the bolt through would have to be stronger in my opinion.

guys...I just mounted my kit to the 66 cuda. I will take pictures and post. I took before pictures...just haven't taken after. Maybe in the next few days? I can tell you this...it does help in cornering...no more BIG body lean.

Aloha

I used the Addco sway bar on a 64 Barracuda that had 67-72 lower control arms with the factory sway bar tabs and 73 and up disks. The disks were mounted in front of the axle and it was all very close but worked fine. I will find pictures to post tonight.

I just did this on my Valiant. I didn't like the Addco mounts for the K-frame nor those on the shock bolts ao I made my own. The ones on the lower control arm are now straight with no adverse effects.

07.Alignment.JPG

06_Bar_Mount_Tacked.JPG

09_Welded.JPG

10_Clearance.JPG

[684mulas sent me photos of his car last night. I resized and posted them for him.]

684mulas:
  • The Addco logo on your bar looks upside-down. Did you invert the bar?
  • Are you using the Addco links that came with the bar?
  • Did you originally have 67-72 LCAs on your car or did you change them because you didn't like the Addco setup?

fzmax: Nice job on the fabrication.

684mulas-01.JPG

684mulas-02.JPG

684mulas-03.JPG

[684mulas sent me photos of his car last night. I resized and posted them for him.]

684mulas:
  • The Addco logo on your bar looks upside-down. Did you invert the bar?
  • Are you using the Addco links that came with the bar?
  • Did you originally have 67-72 LCAs on your car or did you change them because you didn't like the Addco setup?
The logo is upside down. Im not sure if the bar its self is upside down or not but it was the way it all fit together best.

FJR:

The links i used were the ones that came with the kit.

I didnt like the tabs that came with the kit. I suppose they would do but they look weak. The front end need to be rebuilt anyway so I located some LCAs with factory tabs.

The setup is well worth the effort. The difference in handling was even better than I had expected.

how does one tell if the addco bar is upside down?
i have one also just wondering

If you look at the ends of the bars, the orientation of the holes isn't perpendicular to the bar. If you put the end links in the bar, the tops of the end links should tip inwards. If you invert the bar, the top of the end links should tip outwards. This just allows the end links to sit square in the holes when everything is assembled.

-
Back