66 Dart, Sanderson Headers...what exhaust

-

Stanfs02

Reaction score
Hi All

I've just purchased some Sanderson Headers. I want to know what you guys think I should do exhaust wise? I'm based in the UK, and have seen some of the twin pipe systems but can only find them for 67+. Does anyone know if I can use a 67 on a 66?
It would be great if I can get the full complete set for shipping ease etc.

Thanks
Steve

Hi All

I've just purchased some Sanderson Headers. I want to know what you guys think I should do exhaust wise? I'm based in the UK, and have seen some of the twin pipe systems but can only find them for 67+. Does anyone know if I can use a 67 on a 66?
It would be great if I can get the full complete set for shipping ease etc.

Thanks
Steve
Because 66 and older cars didn't ever have duals, the transmission crossmember is notched on the drivers side only. You can either modify the crossmember or have pipes bent to hang below the crossmember. There are threads here about all of that.

TTI sells a dual system for early cars. Would need some bits to work with your headers but it’s a option

No muffler type shops that can custom make a dual system for you? I would try their first if the dual kit in a box is not an answer. Even a oversized single system is better than the single 1-7/8” factory pipe if you want not to have to cut and make your trans cross member work.

Steve, what engine is it? Sixes and small cube V8s like a 318 and smaller for example, normally respond better to a good thought out HP single exhaust system. Like maybe dual 2" pipes into a single 3" all the way back.

Had a friend with a shaved head, slant six 4bbl dual exhaust setup on his 64 dart who hated it. The slight lope of the cammed six caused it to hit the springs on the left side.

The gas tank is shifted to the passenger side causes some difficulty for the muffler shop to run it. Then add an engine lope and the exhaust starts to hit.

20230328_080122.jpg

Notice on the driver's side how much more room there is.
20230328_080131.jpg

He ended up putting a fuel cell in so that he could have the exhaust run straight out in the same place as the right side.

I ran the original style single/tuned HP Exhaust that I bought from year one years ago. I ended blowing up the muffler (backfiring it under an overpass) and put a 9 degree glass pack in its place. Original style resonator in the pic above.

Steve, what engine is it? Sixes and small cube V8s like a 318 and smaller for example, normally respond better to a good thought out HP single exhaust system. Like maybe dual 2" pipes into a single 3" all the way back.
Hi RustyRatRod, it's a 273 small block. Good shout maybe that's the best way forward. I just love the thought of a dual.

Had a friend with a shaved head, slant six 4bbl dual exhaust setup on his 64 dart who hated it. The slight lope of the cammed six caused it to hit the springs on the left side.

The gas tank is shifted to the passenger side causes some difficulty for the muffler shop to run it. Then add an engine lope and the exhaust starts to hit.

View attachment 1716069792
Notice on the driver's side how much more room there is.
View attachment 1716069791

He ended up putting a fuel cell in so that he could have the exhaust run straight out in the same place as the right side.

I ran the original style single/tuned HP Exhaust that I bought from year one years ago. I ended blowing up the muffler (backfiring it under an overpass) and put a 9 degree glass pack in its place. Original style resonator in the pic above.
Hi Chewy, thanks for the info and pics. Might be better off going single HP.

I think a single would be best for performance, honestly. Certainly it would be easier and more affordable and fit better. I wouldn't cut corners on it though. The factory "HP" exhaust really wasn't "HP" at all. It was the cheapest junk they could use. It sounded good and that was probably about all. There's LOTS of room for improvement there.

Thank MoparTim, I've bought the DD9 headers. They seem ok. Might have to modify them slightly round the steering column but will be much better than the manifolds. Thanks for your pics they are really helpful.
Yeah I was just fixin to say the DD9 fits the early cars, not the DD7. They're pretty affordable too.

My 66 with the Accurite LTD single exhaust.

Thank MoparTim, I've bought the DD9 headers. They seem ok. Might have to modify them slightly round the steering column but will be much better than the manifolds. Thanks for your pics they are really helpful.
I changed the steering coupler, factory rubbed just ever so slightly. To this
s-l500.jpg

-
Back