66 Valiant Sedan - new floors and lowering

-

leonfreddy

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a newbie to A-bodies and car repair in general... I've recently acquired a 66 Valiant Sedan with a rebuilt Slant 6, good exterior, and fairly complete from a chrome and parts situation. I really like the look of this car and now have an image in my head of how it should look when i'm done with it... i am rebuilding the brake system back to drums and single chamber MC for now... am actively seeking donor car for disc upgrade, excellent info on this forum.

I have two items i would really appreciate feedback on that i haven't been able to locate specifics on.

New floors - the floors are shot. I've ordered the pans, and have gutted the interior. Any words of wisdom in this adventure? Gotchas?

Lowering the car - I'm guilty of liking cars that are low down and wonder about some of the proper techniques for lowering a car of this sort. I have the service manual and it indicates (my interpretation) that i can simply lower the front by turning a specific component... is this correct? For the rear, i'm also looking for any guidance or experience. My rear axel is currently under the leaf springs, i think they were towing with it.

Any thoughts, guidance and feedback appreciated (with forgiveness for my potentially in-correct terminology). Thanks in advance.

Locate the rear able over the leafs, then you can use blocks from there until you arte happy our you can go with adjustable suspension (air bags or hydraulics) if you have the money and skills. The front you can adjust by turning the adjuster bolt on the front of the torsion bars. Just remember to get the appropriate shocks and possibly need to trim our remove the bump stops depending your dedication to sitting low. I had my 64 low enough in the front on a mild bump in the road the person behind me would see a light show.

Welcome to FABO.You can lower the front by backing off the torsion bar adjusters.Look under your lower control arms for the bolts.After lowering,you will need a frontend alignment(depending how low you go).On the rear you can buy lowering blocks for inbetween your rearend housing and leaf springs.If you,ve ever laid down on a skateboard?This is how the ride will feel.Good luck.

P.S Pics of your car are a must for newbies!LOL

-
Back