67 Barracuda questions

-

racerdave

Reaction score
New to the forum;

My name is Dave and I live in Cape Coral, FL. Been looking to get back into the old car craze. (Have to admit I was looking for a 69 Camaro, don't hold it against me). Saw a 67 Barracuda 2 dr coupe on the side of the road for sale. Remember as a kid (really old) seeing my neighbor's identical car purring up and down the road everyday. My first and most lasting experience that got me into cars!

So he wants $7000 and I offered $4500. Think he will bite. Paint bubbling everywhere, right rear quarter has to go, otherwise seems pretty straight. Has a 318, not original, interior looks great, 3 speed auto. In all not too bad, but will cost to get it back where I want it, a bit anal that way.

Question: Does the price sound right? Anything I seriously need to look for. It's on a trailer right now which makes it easy to look under, but want to drive before I put out the bucks.

You are the guys who know, would appreciate the advise.

Thanks in advance, hope to have a lasting relationship here.

Dave

Pictures are worth a 1000 words. Grab a camera and shoot a whole bunch of pictures including the VIN and the fender tag if it is there. Look in the trunk and see if the build sheet is still behind the rear upper seat springs too.

Your offer sounds too high from the description.

Sounds like may have had a lot of rust thats been covered with bondo. Unless you can do the metal replacement it can get very expensive. You may want to look around before you jump. Welcome to the site and good luck with the hunt.

If the paint is bubbling everywhere then it has to be stripped down.
Who knows what is under there, this alone will cost big bucks.
Use that as a low ball offer. 4500 sounds high by what you describe about the car.
Can you post pics?
Oh Welcome to the site!

Darryl

Look for rust in frame rails & transmission crossmember

7k might be high if needing 1/4 and paint job @ $4,500 might be close. Right now there are some good deals on cars that would need less work.

Can you do the body work?

If not what do you think it would cost to do it? Then look for a car in purchase price plus repairs and see what is out there.

I paid 8000 for my 67 solidcar needed no body work, underneath very clean, Was 6cyl original so I had to change the whole suspension and since than i put 360 in it. I have more in it than I will ever get out of it but I wrote it all off as fun in my mind. Car was 318 with low oil pressure in it when I bought it, none of the lights or gages worked but just took time to get them in shape, good luck.

Welcome Dave! I hope you can hang here for a long time also.

As far as a car for sale on a trailer......no offense fellow members.....it sounds like it was purchased for resale. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just be careful and fully evaluate what's really there. Pan's, rails and exterior panels can add up quick. If your in love with a "must have car" that's one thing. But you don't want to get too upside down in just a fun toy. Check the fender tag for possible rare options and see if the buildsheet is still there. We can decode the numbers for you here if need be. The more knowledge about it, the better your offer can be, higher or lower.

Make sure some of the hard to find and expensive parts are In great shape for that price. Things like the grilles, rear tail panel trim lower piece, hood inserts and other hard to find parts can add $1000"s of dollars to your dream, let alone that bubbling issue. If you really want an accurate assessment of the value,'do as suggested above, take a camera with you and photograph everything, and I mean everything and post the pics here.'thats the best way to get the collective opinion of a group of very knowledgable guys and girls here!! Report back soon,'and don't bite until you're sure about the car!! Geof

no 318 option in a 67 unless not belonging to car, likely.
You need to look at the 5th digit of the VIN. Should start BH23 if B-6 cyl, D-273 2-bbl, If E-273 4-bbl, H-383 4-bbl. The E and H codes being the most desirable.
Restoration is a costly proposition depending on where you want to be with the car and if you are doing the work or paying someone else to do it. Body and paint can be 8-10k+ with what you're stating with the body condition if you cant do the work yourself. With an A-body it is easy to be upside down quick.

I'll add one other thought.........Since you've looked at a 69' Camaro, don't use that pricing to look for a nice deal on a A body Mopar. Yes it's sad, but you need to buy one of these cars at a "Mopar" price. If you do that, you will end up with a superior product in the end.

-
Back