67 cuda FB progress UPDATE

Metallic GunMetal Grey with Gloss black stripes or Flat black stripes?

• Total voters
-
Kosmicuda- My car had no trim on the windows and I never owned a Cuda previous to this one, so your information is much appreciated. I take it that I will need the 68 rear window rubber? Is there any differance in rear windows? Thanks!

Yeah you will need 68-69 rubber window gaskets/seals. The front windshield was carried through into the 70's on other 2 door hard top a-bodes. So front trim from those cars also works. Then you will need the metal clips w/ the small screws that fit into the window channel. (http://www.rtspecialties.net/ is one source) There are actually 2 different style clips on original cars and you use a combination of both. The SS trim then just snaps into place. It really looks nicer than the 67 stuff.

The 67-69 FB rear windows are the same. The 67 notchback (coupe) rear window had so much distortion when made that it was re-contoured starting in 68 to improve the sight. It is noticeable when a 67 is parked beside a 68

Jeff's site is still up, (jefframin.org) and he has a diagram showing the clip spacing for both front and rear windows on his FB. Since this is your first cuda, you also might look at his restoration as he documented everything he went through very well.
Today's trivia: Highway 61 extensively measured and photographed his car and all the 1:18 scale 68 Barracuda diecasts they sell are his stepchildren. But, they didn't make a green one.

A 67 notch glass will work in the 68-9 gasket. The 4 different clips where for the corners and looking at them and measuring them the difference is so small I don't use them and buy bulk of the one common clip w/o issue.

The major clip part number is 6002263. I get them from here. They are the same clips for front. The screws are the same as the wheel well trim. I did use #8 pan heads last time and they did work fine. You just need to be more precise with height placement though. I still need to find a vendor to buy them in bulk at a reasonable price point.
http://www.althafastener.com/68-72-Mopar-windshield-rear-glass-moulding-clip_p_196.html

I DO highly recommend getting them before painting it though as the fitment is not exacting for the 67 since it never had them and the lines can be loose or tight depending... especially with the work you're performing in those area's. Last thing you want is to get to trimming it out and discovering they don't fit correctly.

Here is the link for the clip placement, but don't over think it it is not rocket science. The corners and where they join are more important then the rest.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=167654&highlight=fastback+window+clip

1969formulaS- Thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated. My brother is teaching me a lot of tricks and techniques. He says were learning together. My sone has tried his hand at it as well and is going great for just a beginner.

THank you Rocky js AND KosmicKuda!
You guys are both a wealth of info. I'm going to check out the web sites and digest what I can. Yes, I can see your point as far as the corners go, especially due to my making new window channels. However, My channels turned out to be the same as factory after the repairs were made.

well no pictures this time, but I am tire and sore.
I'm not sure how it's supposed to be done but I have been removing ALL of the under coating so I can epoxy primer the entire car. I have been using a propane torch and a scraper. I was successful in getting it all removed (almost).
How am I supposed to get ALL of the residue off, With Lacquer thinner, Grease and wax remover? There are a lot of nooks and crannies to get it out of. If not removed, I don't think the epoxy primer will stick very well. After epoxy primer, I am going to spray newer type of under coating on.
I sure wish I had a rotisserie to put this on, because working on my back with the cuda sitting only on jack stands is a real pain in the arse. I don't have much of any fingers left either. Any hints or tricks is appreciated.
Hopefully I'll have it cleaned up soon. I only have about an hour or two every other day to work on it. For some reason work keeps getting in the way.
Thanks everyone for your input.

After scraping off the undercoating I used a wire wheel to get what was left .

That must have taken a real long time, Did you do it laying on your back? Or did you have the car on a rotisserie?
I guess either way you do it, it's going to be a long time and a pain in the you know what. Did you wipe it down with wax and grease remover as well?

Wow...yeah you are having a longer way to go.
Hey, I know a guy with a 67 FB...family car...he just had all the body work done and re-sprayed in a dark silver (may have been gunmetal, not sure) and the color looks really good on the cuda's lines.

Great Fabrication work on your fastback. will look awesome in gun metal. :)

Thanks!
I haven't got a lot done on it lately. I've been slaving away at the under carrage. I just got all of the thick under coating off and am now sanding it for new epoxy primer then new under coating. Probably use Raptor liner.
Seems like it is never going to get done.

Wow...yeah you are having a longer way to go.
Hey, I know a guy with a 67 FB...family car...he just had all the body work done and re-sprayed in a dark silver (may have been gunmetal, not sure) and the color looks really good on the cuda's lines.

Mine had some rust damage, but thats what happens when left out in a field to rot away. Lots of work done and a whole lot more to do.
Money is the big pinch point but I have saved up for most of it. If im carefull, I will only need another four thousand more to have everything I need. I hope anyways! L.O.L!

Money is often the issue in this hobby. I've been lucky that my stuff hasn't been terribly expensive but I'm running into a time crunch: I'm job hunting on the other side of the country and, if I land new work, I'll have to sort out how to move the car a very long way. Options:

As it sits...crane onto a flat bed (least desireable)
Get the front end back on, I can skip the crane. (better)
Get the engine back in...I'll drive it with a pillow on the steel seat frame.

In a way, I'm glad the holidays are over and businesses are back open.

Money is often the issue in this hobby. I've been lucky that my stuff hasn't been terribly expensive but I'm running into a time crunch: I'm job hunting on the other side of the country and, if I land new work, I'll have to sort out how to move the car a very long way. Options:

As it sits...crane onto a flat bed (least desireable)
Get the front end back on, I can skip the crane. (better)
Get the engine back in...I'll drive it with a pillow on the steel seat frame.

In a way, I'm glad the holidays are over and businesses are back open.

Where you moving to? I'm on the west coast, Washington state.

Front end put back on and put on a trailer would be the best and most stableway when transporting. Rent a car trailer from U-Haul and pull behind you?

Sorry but I don't have any pictures today. hard to get any good pictures of the under side from only a foot off the ground. I actualy finished scraping and sanding the under belly of this gutted fish!!!!!!!!!!
I cleaned it all with wax and grease remover and is ready for epoxy primer.
only one problem..... My brother has a 51 Chevy two door hard top in the spray booth finalizing the bodywork on it and I have to wait for it to get primed before I can move my car in. Figures.
I guess I will begin work on the 8 3/4 rear to pass the time.
I will have pictures on my next post.
But then again, who's reading this anyways right?
Till next time...................

Ok, so as you all know, I got the belly of the fish all cleaned up and lookin good but am in a holding pattern for a while because it'smy brother's shop and he is working on a few cars for a good friend of his and there is no room at the inn. a.k.a the paint booth / body work area.
I began cleaning up the 8 3/4 rear and have some questions for the people that know this sort if thing. Looking at the pictures, can anyone tell me ANYTHING about this Diff. by the numbers? I think I know what the big X means, but besides that I have no idea. I most likely will need to open it up to be able to tell the gearing as there is no tag on it indicating that it has ever been worked on or gears swapped out.
Anyways, lots of cleaning, wire wheeling and at this point I don't know why I haven't just taken it apart and sand blasted everything, seing as it all needs to come apart anyways because I am putting new wheel barrings on it and re-doing the brakes.

One more question. Why are the drums so difficult to find new replacements for this thing? they are 10 inch and have 1 1/2 inch wide brake pad surface. Summit showes they have only one and it's price is $78.00. WOW!

View attachment 1204131541a.jpg

View attachment 0107141908.jpg

View attachment 0107141908a.jpg

View attachment 0107141906.jpg

View attachment 0107141906a.jpg

View attachment 1202131341.jpg

Well, I guess i'm right.
No one is reading this, So i'll continue to log this info for my records.

I got my 8 3/4 rear Diff. all painted up and put back together.
I answered my own questions in my previous post.
it is a limited slip. the gears all checked out great and doesn't need rebuilt. It actuall looks like it was rebuilt and installed with little or no miles on it as there is still alignment marks on the gears from checking clearances and mesh alignment. Anyways, here are a few pictures.
Now it's on to the leaf springs!

View attachment 0111141915.jpg

View attachment 0111141917a.jpg

Ariffle, I'm about 20 minutes north of you in Big Lake and I am also working on 67 fastback. I'm a little further along than you but it's taken me 5 years to get there. I have several quarts of various shades of grey/silver and some black that I was using to try and figure out my color scheme. I haven't opened them to look in a year but they are sealed up good and just sitting here on a shelf (garage is insulated and heated) so they should be good for testers at least. If you're interested in them they're yours. I went with a dark green and black combination. I also changed the course of my build after gathering parts for several years so if you need stock parts let me know, I'm going more of a custom route.

Here is a picture of mine

View attachment fresh paint.jpg

Ariffle, I'm about 20 minutes north of you in Big Lake and I am also working on 67 fastback. I'm a little further along than you but it's taken me 5 years to get there. I have several quarts of various shades of grey/silver and some black that I was using to try and figure out my color scheme. I haven't opened them to look in a year but they are sealed up good and just sitting here on a shelf (garage is insulated and heated) so they should be good for testers at least. If you're interested in them they're yours. I went with a dark green and black combination. I also changed the course of my build after gathering parts for several years so if you need stock parts let me know, I'm going more of a custom route.

Here is a picture of mine

I apreciate your paint offer.
However, i have also purchased my paint. It is gun metal metalic grey.
I might still need stock parts. We should gert togeher. I a m actually building my car at my brothers shop in Big lake. Love to meet you and seecm your car. By the way, I absolutly love your color choice. I almost went with a similar color.

:burnout:I started to temporarily put the car back together today, so I could get everything all lined up and bodylines strait as possible prior to drilling alignment holes for ease of assembly later after it's all painted. Less chances for scratches later on. Also, so I can get ready for bodywork and adding some metal to the gaps that are just to big.
I'm still waiting on my brother to get this fish put in the fish bowl. (paint and body room) Anyways, the rear axel and assembly is finished and I need to get started on the springs and perches. Mpre later!

View attachment 0114141811.jpg

not much to report on besides taking apart the leaf springs and cleaning them up for paint. I'll get some pictures up soon.
After the springs are all done, they will be put away with the other stockpile of refurbished parts.
I'm having a hard time with the bucket seat figuring, as I am not putting the bench seat back in. I picked up a set of bucket seats from a 68 Barracuda. At least I think they are. They are the ones that have the circles in the back rest area about shoulder blade high. Anyone know? I think I need to make some sort of bracket to get them to sit level? Does this sound familiar? Anyway, I want to put a center counsel in and don't have one, so I'm not so sure on the measurements the seats should be at.
SO, I'm at a standstill until it gets figured and drilled for, as I'd like to have ALL metal work done prior to epoxy primer.
I'll post some pictures of progress in the next couple days.

Next time your headed to your brother's, pm or call me and we'll figure something out. I have an automatic center console, it's not perfect but I won't be using it since I'm going with a 4 speed. Right now, the only day I will have off in the next 3 weeks is Super Bowl sunday so it will need to be a late evening deal.

Next time your headed to your brother's, pm or call me and we'll figure something out. I have an automatic center console, it's not perfect but I won't be using it since I'm going with a 4 speed. Right now, the only day I will have off in the next 3 weeks is Super Bowl sunday so it will need to be a late evening deal.

Thanks for the invite Jason!:-D
I'm up at his place EVERYDAY, as I work for him and his office is actually in his shop believe it or not.
I was actually up by your house earlier this week doing a rodent control. I think I know where your at. You have a White Dodge RAM I bet?
I drive a silver Dakota for work but drive a red Dodge Ram Cummins.
I'll be in touch soon. I don't envy you having to commute as far as you do
but it's nice to know a fellow FABO member so close. Talk to you soon

-
Back