'67 Cuda rear fold down door... Help?

-

71 Duster 440

Quarter Life Crisis
Reaction score
So the rear fold down door in my '67 Barracuda has seen much better days. It's a rotted piece of plywood with no carpeting on it at all and two 30 year old "Blaupunkt" speakers bolted onto it. Can anyone post any and all information you have on recreating this door? I.E. dimensions, materials, pictures, anything really. The latch and hinge mechanism seems salvageable. That's about it though. Please help me out!

Thanks!

Chris

I'm not even exactly sure of the name of this door. It's not the rear folding seat, it's the door with latch that separates the cabin from the trunk space. Can anyone tell me the correct name the factory uses?

Hey Chris, I think I have one in the rafters fairly complete, so I can shoot some pics with dimensions etc. shoot me a pm with your email

4spdragtop

So I found this picture after some searching. It's vague, but at least it gives the name "security panel."

barracuda-seat.jpg

Chris, I can either sell you my old one (still in decent shape) or trace out a template of it for you complete with measurements -- just shoot me a PM with your mailing address. I made my trunk panel out of a piece of oak. :-D

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 237
Wow Leanna is that ever nice!! Dare I say looks like you work well with WOOD!! LOL

Chris I sent ya an email

Chris, now that I've dragged the old one out for pictures and refreshed my memory on why I replaced it, you should probably take 4spdragtop up on his offer instead.

Although I'm sure it would be okay for use structurally, mine's pretty beat in the cosmetic department ... and I'm sad to say splattered with the gold sparkley 70's spray paint that covered the entire fastback portion of my car when I bought it. [The BOG guys will probably remember my stories about fighting with that chit.] At least the prior owner's kids didn't attack the trunk panel with the flower power stickers that were everywhere else.

Anyway, I'm posting pictures of it here in this thread with the measurements since I'm sure Chris isn't the only one with this problem. These trunk dividers are getting hard to find in good shape so I'm probably not the only one who fabbed up her own. (Someday there will be a matching console too.) And when it all comes down to it, that's the whole point of FABO -- to share the love of Mopars and our experiences with them. :love7:

Since I'm limited to ten pictures per post and am having trouble even uploading those, anyone who wants to see the rest of the 15 I snapped is welcome to forward their email address. My PM box is at 97% and I'm not sure if I'll be able to clean it out today so ya may just have to add it here in the thread.

Overall length:

View attachment IMG_2284.jpg

Width on short ends:

View attachment IMG_2285.jpg

Really crappy pictures of the center point measurement (sorry, I'm short!!! :-D):

View attachment IMG_2287.jpg

This top edge has a bevel due to the angle of the roof slant. It was the most difficult part of the fabrication. Unless you count the sixteen coats of sanded polyurethane that cover one side of mine.

View attachment IMG_2286.jpg

Width of the wood:

View attachment IMG_2288.jpg

And these are for Chris, since I offered to sell this nasty thing to him:

View attachment IMG_2281.jpg

And ya'll thought I was kidding about the flower child spray paint ... :toothy10:

View attachment IMG_2291.jpg

View attachment IMG_2295.jpg

View attachment IMG_2293.jpg

And Chris ... besides, when you get that one from 4spd you could never come back and say that Leanna gave you wood. :bootysha:

Oh, I think I have some pics of my un-installed homemade oak trunk divider too if that will help anybody out.

Cool Randy! Did you keep a template? I could see one of those in LimeLight ...

I'd be willing to bet your little fish on the glovebox door is red too. Of course, mine's lime green. Maybe it's time for a Custom Cuda Interiors thread???

Leanna, thank you so much for the pics and measurements! It seems that your is just about in the same shape as mine is now. Luckily, you have that gorgeous custom replacement! :D It turns out 4spdragtop's piece has big speaker holes cut in it as well, so I'm not sure his is useable for my purposes either. It looks like I'm going to have to fabricate up my own too! Thanks to everyone in this thread for the pics and the help!

I'll bet yours isn't customized with sparkley gold spray paint. LOL!!!

Good luck with the hunt / fab job! If you need any other details, just let me know.

I'll bet yours isn't customized with sparkley gold spray paint. LOL!!!

Good luck with the hunt / fab job! If you need any other details, just let me know.

Hahah, thanks! The rare sparkley gold spray paint option was not selected by the original owner. However the rotten and mildewed plywood with 60 pound non-functioning speakers option appears to have been on the original build sheet. :cheers:

Too bad I still have no wood. :angry7:

:toothy10:

Cool Randy! Did you keep a template? I could see one of those in LimeLight ...

I'd be willing to bet your little fish on the glovebox door is red too. Of course, mine's lime green. Maybe it's time for a Custom Cuda Interiors thread???
What glove box door LOL they butchered all that off the car too BUT I am gonna cover the sheetmetal with maybe the carbon fiber vinly and maybe even cut the Mopar logo out in the middle of the glove box location or maybe even just a big fish. I had the templates made out of mastic? at a local sign shop, they all do vinyl and have logo books to copy em out of. I have a few templates left over but you could probably get one made locally cheaper than the postage to send you one, if not I could send one, I had 3 made.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=185200&stc=1&d=1287944837

Attachments

• IMAG00291.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 267
Thank you! I don't get to play with wood as much as I'd like to these days.

:stop: :stop: :stop:

Oh man, that sure didn't come out right. :-D

Reading threads and posts you have on here, everything comes out jus' fine!! Ok back out to the garage to play with muh wood!!

Mine was a rotted mess as well, with speaker holes.
I used 3/4 plywood with one side finished, and traced the old one on it.
All of the hardware was usable, except the screws holding the latch on were too short, I used longer nut/bolt/washer.

I then stained it on all sides with black wood stain- no more rot!

So I'm having a new security panel fabricated by a custom cabinetry shop. I desperately need pictures of the bottom hinge and how it looks and functions. The hinge is missing from my car and the rotten stock panel. I'm told it's a kind of piano hinge, but I need to see how it attaches and what it looks like. Thanks in advance!!

Chris

I'd really appreciate it if you or anyone else could post pictures. There appears to be four larger holes along the bottom (where the bevel is) that some kind of hardware attached to. I really have nothing to go on since mine is rotten beyond recognition. Thanks!

-
Back