67 drum to 75 disc "overall width" question

-

67CudaBob

Reaction score
I will be converting in the near future from drum to disc, and one question I have not found an answer to is this:

Will the finished width be the same, wider, or narrower when I am done? (call the measurement centerline of tire to centerline of tire - and for the argument, assume rim/tire combo of same dimensions used)

I would assume if I was putting on a stock 67 disc package, the width would be the same - but I was not sure about the 73 and up disc setups.

Thank you

The 73 is for sure wider, I don't know how much. The fact is, that many cars --and trucks have mismatched front and rear tracks. Mine doesn't even have a Mopar axle, it's a Versailles disk brake, 9" rear, and is wider than the factory 7 1/4, but with the wheel offset, mine does not matter

The 73 is for sure wider, I don't know how much. The fact is, that many cars --and trucks have mismatched front and rear tracks. Mine doesn't even have a Mopar axle, it's a Versailles disk brake, 9" rear, and is wider than the factory 7 1/4, but with the wheel offset, mine does not matter

My concern is the front tires sitting "too" wide. I picked up a great set of 14x7 Magnum 500 style rims with 225/70/14's on them. I bolted them on with adapters on my SBP drums just to see how they look. And I think they look too wide in the front - SEE PIC - (not the tires are too wide, but the stance seems wide to me) The adapters are only 1" wide, so I get they are sitting out 1" wider due to that - but then I started wondering if the 75 disc setup would also leave them wider than stock.

The answer is probably a narrower rim in the front? What width rim and tire combo are you running on your front - I like the look of your front wheel/tire setup.

Attachments

• With rims and stance 1 (small).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 180
?? You are using adapters on the old small pattern? I would guess that the 73 setup will be inside of that at least a bit.

My setup will change. What's on there now, the 14" ETs are "out" too far. That is what I happened to buy used. The Bullit 17's will be set in further, and will actually require a bit of spacer to clear the A arms.

The total track difference 1.41" is according to this TSB.

attachment.php

67- The adapters are just in place until I can fully convert to the 4-1/2 pattern. I am looking for a complete rear end assembly now, and then can have the driveshaft shortened. The brake setup has been bought and is on it's way here.

I just couldn't pass up the deal on the wheels, so I bought them and picked up the adapters to test fit everything. The look might be an angle of the picture issue a bit as well, the other side retained it's original 175/75/13 tires. Pretty hard to look bad *** in those trailer tires!

OKLA - Nice work, my friend. I will say it again - this is the best group of car folks on the planet!

Okla - Do you know if those dims are the same for a 1967 model year Dart? If you believe them to be different, do you happen to have that bulletin as well?

If you look at the diagram you will see (1972-57.74) and that is the same back to 1967. The reason the TSB was put out is because of the width difference and people following the 1973 A-bodies though the car was dog tracking.

Here is the other page of the TSB.

Attachments

• 02-04-73D%20p1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 334
Very Cool Stuff!

Looks like I will have to go for some narrower rims and/or maximize backspacing, and likely narrower tires for the front if I want to soften that wide stance a little.

I have 73 duster front disk on my 67 running 15x7 rims on the front of my dart.You may need smaller front tires but they will work fine.Jim

That dart looks sweet with the Magnum 500's.

I think you'll be fine once you do the disk swap and get rid of the adapters.

I'd use the same rims, just maybe go with a slightly narrower tire on the front.

Love the color and the rims.

So if the total track increased 1.41" that's .705" per side, or about 11/16". I'm somewhat surprised it was that much.

That dart looks sweet with the Magnum 500's.

I think you'll be fine once you do the disk swap and get rid of the adapters.

I'd use the same rims, just maybe go with a slightly narrower tire on the front.

Love the color and the rims.

Thank you - I picked up in your neck of the woods off of Denver's CL this last November. The lady had owned it 36 years. I was so-so with the color with the 13" tires and hubcaps, but once I saw these rims on it, I really like it.

I have 73 duster front disk on my 67 running 15x7 rims on the front of my dart.You may need smaller front tires but they will work fine.Jim

That is good to know - I was hoping for some actual fitment posts - thank you.

thanks for the diagram-- showing the track width!! great info-- somehow that sheet needs to be made a sticky. Lawrence

Thanks, Okla, for the info. "Back when" my friend bought a new 70 Cheve 3/4 4x4, that thing always looked that way, following behind. I'm sure there were people who complained about those, as well

-
Back