67 formula s ?????

-

Bucky Jones

Reaction score
Just acquired a 1967 Barracuda fastback. Supposed to be a Formula S...??? VIN is BH29E7.... Received a reply from Chrysler History folks with a photo copy of the IBM punch card of my car and their listing of my car's description which matches my car except mention of S stuff..?? The car's Data plate is missing. The IBM card is barely legible but you can make out the punch out positions. Can anyone help me verify if this is an S or not. It has S badges. Single rectangular exhaust opening on rear valence (driver's side), front sway bar. 10" front drum brakes. Unsure about torsion bar and springs. 150 mph speedo and is heater and radio delete. Any suggestions. I'm thinking there must be a hole punched out on my punch card for an S.
(The car presently has a 340 with 2 4BBL carbs, headers, big cam, electric fuel pump, 4 speed, 8 3/4 rear, sbp 15" center lines, MSD ignition, etc. Racer but streetable. Willing to trade all this stuff for fresh 67 formula S 273 HP, 4 speed, 323 suregrip and 14x5.5 sbp steel wheels.)
Thanx in advance

With the "E" in the VIN it would be a 273 4-bbl car so it would be a Formula S. Got your PM about the radiator and will check it out when I get back from the Monster Mopar show.

273 COMMANDO car but not necessarily a FORMULA S... you could get them either way..

Formula "S" was just a package option. You could get most everything sans the S badges as an option. I could tell you the unique 65 stuff but not the 67.

I believe it is a "S". Dads engine code is "E", but we have vin tag(F7 code) to verify as well. What kind of IBM punch card did you get?? All I got from them was a photocopy of the microfiche of the card...not impressed for $45....
Oooh just looked at the pkg from Chrysler Hist and does NOT mention ours is an "S". But it is 100%.... what a waste of $45
Nice snag by the way...any pics??

Chrysler Historical does NOT know that code 367 is Formula-S. This code should be on the first page of the packet they gave to you.
They should have "Accessory Group 36: 7 = code N/A". On the IBM card column 36 should be tabbed on line 7. This will also equal code 367, which is Formula-S.

Correct,

In 1967, my mother purchased a 1967 Barracuda 'Fastback'
* 4-Speed
* Console
* 8 3/4" Rear
* 3.23 'Sure-Grip'
* 273/235 HP 'Commando'
* Special Exhaust
* Center Dashboard 'Vacuum' Performance Gauge

It was 'not' a Formula S.

It was equipped with the 'Performance Group'.

attachment.php

What Rocky said! That's exactly how it shows on my card with the number 7 punched out at line 36 and the letter from Chrysler historical does say 367 code unknown, the fender tag has the number 7 on it as well.

Here is the 67 Barracuda option groups with the codes to clarify what I was saying. The other posted card is from 65 and might be confusing as the codes are different.
As everyone said the 273 commando engine could be had without the Formula-S package. It also had the single wide resonator cutout in the left rear valance panel. It would not have the suspension package unless they got the shaft from a salesperson and paid for two separate options that were inclusive to the Formula-S package. I guess it is possible but haven't seen it.

The OP's note of a front sway bar seems to dictate Formula-s since this would not be std on non-Form-s package.

The 150 speedo in 67 was part of the Decor package (code360 or fender tag code F-0) and not available separately as it was in 68-up. The decor package included wood grain front door panels, chrome trim around the gas/brake/clutch pedals and rear arm rests w/ash trays along with the 150 speedo and wood grain dash. It was not inclusive to Formula-s package and could be had in any 67 b-cuda. A 150 could have been added and without the other option parts - probably was.

Steve if you already had your fender tag/broadcast sheet then yeah I could see why you would think it a waste of money but if you didn't it is money well spent since a tag can be made from this document. For cars 68 and up you can not get them.

Attachments

• 67_Barracuda_Pocket_Card.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 350
Lotsa good info John!
About my IBM card....I thought that I would be getting a.reproduction punch card? Not a photocopy of the fiche ? That is barely readable.
I see how it would be useful ti someone with no tag or build sheet.

Cheers
Steve

I know Matthon has come a long way to be able to read the photocopy of the IBM card.
Not sure but, my guess is that you (Rocky) has spoken with Matt about this?

Swede, I do know Matt and have conversed with him. On reading the IBM cards though this I have learned on my own.
It is fairly easy once you know and have the documentation to support it. It came with a lot of ah-ha's once you see how the puzzle goes together. It took weeks, months, and years of research to learn it - and I am still learning. Knowing how to read an 80 column IBM punch card was instrumental. Here is the info I have pieced together from god knows how many poor copies of different cards for 67

Attachments

• IBM DECODE.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 278
Curiously, my 67 came with 273 Commando, plus "heavy-duty suspension", with "sway bar delete". NO Formula S. This was a built-to-order car -- I guess the guy knew what he wanted and didn't want to pay for any badges. He wasn't buying a lot of extra cost options, either -- it was bench seat, column shift auto, manual steering, manual disk brakes.

-
Back