67 grill mounting stud hacks???

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a hack to extend or mount my 67 grills on a barracuda. I don't know how hard it is to replace these studs and so.......FABO!!

pics coming

1719155347708129448909.jpg

1719155381847812853201.jpg

Wondering if you could just file the broken end flat, butt weld on another bolt end-to-end, then cut off the head to the correct length? Not a welder, so pardon me if this is impractical. I was thinking these studs don’t take a lot of stress, and the smart play is to use nylon (not Nylock) nuts that won’t rust and get stuck, and these won’t take much torque anyway.

Welding in place will damage the nearby aluminum. Stainless nuts alone will not stop the corrosion. These grills rarely sit flat, so tightening them down to "flatten" them will put stress on the stud.

Wondering if you could just file the broken end flat, butt weld on another bolt end-to-end, then cut off the head to the correct length? Not a welder, so pardon me if this is impractical. I was thinking these studs don’t take a lot of stress, and the smart play is to use nylon (not Nylock) nuts that won’t rust and get stuck, and these won’t take much torque anyway.
I wouldn't say it's impractical, but really difficult not to heat the surrounding aluminum, plus, a butt weld wouldn't be strong enough, I don't think. Now, if someone can TIG good enough, then that might work. TIG welding can be very precise and it's very strong.

-
Back