67 GTS 4-Speed: Daily Summer Driver

-
Wow.. cant believe it really has been three months...

I started this project telling myself that I wouldnt life get in the way... well it did lol. Was busying studying for my PE test, then had to get the center section in the charger's rear repaired, in the process found out the drive shaft was modified with a GM end and wouldnt adapt to the rebuilt center section with the larger yoke. But thankfully that is all done and the charger is back on the road.

but this past weekend I was able to make it back to my parents place. My dad has been feeling better and was able to tackle some of the sanding the past couple weeks. So I believe I left off here with getting the car sanded with 1000 grit. Well my dad was able to get the entire left side of the car sanded with 1500, and we got the right side done in 1500 as well. We started getting the right side done with 2000, but only got about 80% of that side done before we had to quit. So hopefully soon Ill be back to get the rest of the car done in 2000 so I can do the buffing and then start on the mechanical stuff again!

I went home this Memorial Day weekend to get some good car work done! I was able to get the rest of the sanding done with the help of my father and family friend and was able to start buffing it!!

image37-3.JPG

It is coming out really nice. I believe I should only need to hit it about 2 more times with the buffer and I should be good!! this is pretty exciting! finally "done" with the paint work and now I can get back to the mechanical work! next on the list is to get the rest of the front brake parts and install them. then also get the steering gear and pump on as well to finish up the front end!!

and since this paint work is mostly done I started to install other parts to help clean out the trunk and the pile of parts in my parents basement. I got the glove box door on and the weather stripping trim on as well

image37-1.JPG

image37-2.JPG

I just need to sand and paint the front of the radiator support and I will be able to start putting the front hood support on as well as the head light buckets. Starting to come together!!

I was also able to get a few electrical gremlins worked out on the charger, as well as a plan of action to get the reverse lights working and the fuel gauge reading properly.

glad to see that you were able to get some work done on the dart last weekend. It's always nice to have some extra helping hands.

Well after much searching... I finally found a console!! Even better is that it has the cut out for the console Tach!! pretty pumped, found it on ebay and the seller was a member here. So thank you for that! a little cleaning up, polishing and painting it should be good. I have an auto console as well that I will use for parts. Steal the ash tray off of it, and see if it has the console lock and transfer it to this one.

image38-1.jpg

This weekend I went back home in hopes of getting some work done on the car before we headed out of town for a concert. I wanted to get the front brakes buttoned up, and the steering gear and pump in. Well ran into a few issues...

The steering gear didnt come in on time. The reman power steering pump didnt have the same shaft as my old one so the pulley didnt work (only found out later that in 75 they switched to a press on pulley, where as before that they used a nut and a key way), so needless to say I didnt get that in. I was able to get the front calipers installed. However that was a little more complicated... My parents decided to get the garage where this car is sitting dry walled and the floor done, so everything was moved out but the GTS. So trying to get tools was a little more labor intensive, but it got done.

image39-1.jpg

image39-2.jpg

This past weekend was Carlisle. Got a lot of good stuff for the GTS. I was able to pick up the remaining weather stripping I needed. I found old Mopar window guides (the seals that go on the front of the door windows)... needless to say they were expensive for what you get, but was told it was the way to go. I got door handles and was able to get the issue with the shifter worked out. Took the shifter and rods to Passion's booth and they told me there wasnt much they could do. It was an after market unit that the reverse lock out was broken, and was missing a piece on the handle. They then began to tell me the rods were a hobbled mess (one rod's adjustment was welded), the shift levers were straight instead of curved, and the handle was integrated into the case, instead of the bolt on one that Mopars typically came with... So I ended up getting a rebuilt shifter mechanism, the rods, spacer and all the associated hardware... Wasnt planning on spending that much money on it but in order to prevent head aches down the road, I guess its money well spent.

I also picked up a spare rebuilt distributor for the 68 convertible, and a mostly complete 8 3/4 rear end for it. Im not to sure about the condition of the small rear end in it now, and would like to put a sure-grip in that car. I figured this was the best way to go about it. I got everything with the exception of the center chunk. However I do know we have about 2 or 3 spare centers in the spare parts shed back at my parents place. I was also able to pick up a sure grip unit for pretty cheap as well. So I just need some extra cash to have everything gone through and installed.

I didnt get much work done on the GTS. Was working on the Charger. we had an issue with the fuel gauge reading incorrectly (well not at all). From what I found out online it is typical of these sending units and to fix the situation you need to bend the float arm. So down came the tank, and drained it. Inverted the tank with all the wires connected and kept bending the arm until the gauge read full. Then reinstalled it. Ran into a major issue with the reverse lights. The 68 trans doesnt have the means to correctly activate (I guess the best way to put it is "deactivate") the reverse lights on a 70 car. So I needed to source a 69-70 (71 and above wont work) Rooster Comb. Luckly A&A transmissions had one. So I was able to get that installed with a new pan, gasket and filter. But broke the new switch in the process... However the Standard Motor Products switch is made incorrectly (and no one carries it in stock...) and really doesnt work. So I need to find another source or just modify another standard motor products switch.

What I did do on the GTS is get the power steering pump installed. Which didnt work out too well. Got new pump brackets, a new pulley, and a new saginaw pump, got it installed only to find out the port for the high pressure line is directly in front of the motor mount... So needless to say this pump isnt going to work... I heard of people installing power steering so there must be a way to get everything to fit... I just need to find it...

So what I was able to find out on the pump is that on the cars originally equipped with a big block and power steering got the TRW pump. However from I see online they only make brackets for the TRW pumps up to the 69 year. Well the block thats in the car is a 70. So I am not to sure if the mounting to the block would be different. Furthermore, the pulley spacing is a little different as well? I know I went with the 1970 pulleys so I am not to sure if the TRW pump would line up with that...

So a quick check with the big block index site and the place I got my motor mounts from said a federal pump would work just fine. So I was able to source a core, got a reman pump, got new brackets, and a new power steering hose. I was able to assemble it this past weekend

image41-1.jpg

So next time I am home, that pump is coming off and this one is going on. Then I will try and sell that thing on here to try and recoop some cost.

This past weekend I was able to make it back to my parents place and get some work done on the car. So for the past couple weeks the garage has been getting dry wall installed to finally bring that building up to my mother's standards. Everything is out of the garage but this car. Well the floor is going to get done and it would save by parents close to two grand if the car was out of there. I wrote out what needed to get done to the car to safely transport it into storage on a flat bed and went to work:

First was the steering
I ran in to more issues than I thought I should have on this... First was the power steering pump. Well I got that worked out and got the correct one installed
image42-5.jpg

I got it bled and it looks nice besides that the pulley does not line up with the pulley on the crank shaft... so I dont know if I can space out the pump or if I am going to have to move the pulley out on the pump. Will get around to it when I get the time. I also had major issues with installing the power steering gear. First the starter had to come out, then it was hitting everything on its way into place. We saw it was hitting the K frame mount and the engine boss that the motor mount would attach to for a B, C, & E body. So I had to grind down that boss on the engine and grind down the flash and parting line on the steering gear

image42-2.jpg

image42-1.jpg

I know that it is hard to see, but it is a snug fit in there. Another thing we noticed is the dip stick I had would not work with the steering gear there. So I am going to have to find one that sits closer to the engine. Seeing everything in there I am getting concerned with the exhaust fitment. I am planning on going with TTI shorty headers, and they say it works with the mechanical clutch linkage and power steering... so we will see how it all fits in there...

image42-4.jpg

The latches
So with it needed to go on a flat bed and reach speeds of up to 50 mph, the hood, doors and trunk lid needed to be secured. Well since the car is painted and those parts needed to go on anyway, I got that stuff functioning. I installed the trunk latch, the door latches, and door rubber. All of those close and function like they should. I was able to install the hood bumpers but found out I was missing the adjustable ones that attach to the front part of the fenders (need to source them). a friend came over to help and he sanded the radiator support and also got the it painted, he was a big help (I also know he reads this lol). I was then able to install the support and the hood latch. now the hood, doors, and trunk wont open unless you want them too.

image42-6.jpg

Shifter
Well in order to winch it and roll it the car would have to be in neutral and be able to be slipped into gear while sitting (since I dont have brakes on it yet). Lucky at Carlisle I got everything I needed from passion performance. Really nice guys and very knowledgeable. The shifter that came with the car was the a competition shifter that had the reverse lock out. Well the reverse lock out was broken, the rods were a cobbled mess, and the lever was integrated into the mechanism. So I got passion's rods, shifter mechanism, mounting plate, clips and hardware. Well everything bolted up no issue. Was a little difficult getting the rods and levers mounted up and oriented since I never really did this before. Adjusting it wasnt to bad, just took a little bit of time. But its all in there and I get all forward gears and reverse!!

image42-3.jpg

I got a reproduction 68 hurst console lever. it is nice. It goes into gear no problem and feels solid. Way more solid than it feels on my '16 Subaru. I also installed a spare column so they could turn the wheels. Didnt want to waste time bolting up the column that is going to go into the car since the column is coming back out for when I install the exhaust and clutch linkage.

The charger and polara also sat in this garage but are now under covers in my parents attached garage. I did some transmission work on the charger to get the 68 trans to properly activate the neutral start switch in the 70 charger (had to get that one year rooster comb...). But I got the new neutral start switch installed, and trans fluid in it (reverse lights now work properly). Ran out of fluid before the dip stick read it was full so didnt get a chance to take it out for a spin. Got the polara out for a quick drive.

As for the next steps. Finish installing the parts I got out at Carlisle. Paint the horns, restore the 67 air cleaner housing I got, install the door glass, install the front brake pads, install the rear harness and find ways to finance the exhaust, rear end, rear brakes, chroming the bumpers, seat foam and head liner and that should just about do it to get it on the road!!

This past weekend I went back to my parents place to get a little work done on the car. Unfortunately didnt get much done, other things grabbed my attention (long rides in the charger and polara, helping set the garage back up, winterizing the boat.. etc).

What I did get done was I got the upper window trim off again and got the weather stripping installed behind that. I got the door glass assembled into the vent window and got that assembly installed into the door. Still needs to be adjusted but I will wait until I get the rubber on and the rear windows adjusted. Which would be a lot easier once I get the interior cleared out from the parts I currently have stored there hahaha. I got the brake pads installed and the mounting bolts installed with anti seize so hopefully I never have one break off due to rust. I also connected the rear harness and had that laid out into the trunk.

So I still need to figure out what to do on that dip stick issue. I need to find our spare coupling so I can install my steering column eventually (Apparently the output shaft on a manual box is bigger in diameter than the output shaft from a power box). Need to get those horns painted and the air cleaner housing refinished. Need to get the rear end rebuilt with new gears and bearings, rear brakes, exhaust, clutch linkage (new Z bar), 180 degree thermostat and housing (mine leaked terribly on break in), chroming the bumpers, seat foam, and head liner... Cant believe that lists of "Needs Done" is getting shorter and shorter... Now only if I could win the lottery...

You might not realize it but you are making huge progress!! You should save that list and put a dollar amount beside each checked item for what you would have paid someone to do it. Just a little perspective.

You might not realize it but you are making huge progress!! You should save that list and put a dollar amount beside each checked item for what you would have paid someone to do it. Just a little perspective.

Yes that would be good motivation to keep doing what I am doing!

This past weekend I went home to get a little work done on the GTS. Getting to the point of having little parts to throw at it, but what ever parts I do have I am trying to get on just to feel some sort of progress.

I got the trunk seal on, and I got the roof line window seals on as well. I was able to get the headlight adjusters in, the head light buckets and the head lights in. They will eventually be removed for a relay harness and a H4 bulb conversion, but right now the main goal is to get it on the road. I was going to paint the horns, but when I tested them neither of them worked... So I didnt bother sanding them and painting them. As I am typing this I find it odd that both dont work... So, next time I am back I am installing them on the charger and seeing if that is indeed the case.

I looked a little more at the steering pump. The pump pulley is about .75" away from the corresponding pulley on the crank shaft...

image43-1.jpg

When I got the brackets it said it was good for 69 and above big blocks. For cars with and without air. Well this engine is a 70, and had air on it originally. So I am wondering if someone changed the water pump housing years ago... What ever the case may be I am going to have to modify the brackets. There is no way to space the pump in line with the crank pulley, and I do not feel comfortable moving the pulley that far off of the shaft. So I am going to have to modify the brackets to move the pump in line with the crank. Which also means longer bolts. So this should be fun.

I also decided to work on the air clear housing and the console at my folks place. Initially I was going to do that in pittsburgh, but seeing what I want to get done on the house in the next couple months, the car stuff would be pushed to the side. So in order to keep progress moving on it, I might as well work on it when I make it to my parents place.

I made myself a list of things I want to get done on the charger the next time I am home. but as of now the biggest work on the GTS is still finding a dip stick that would work ( I am going to reach out to TTI about this, they should know. Plus according to their installation instructions it needs to come out to install the headers anyway). Need to get the rear end rebuilt with new gears and bearings, rear brakes, exhaust, clutch linkage (new Z bar), 180 degree thermostat and housing (mine leaked terribly on break in), getting the power steering coupling (couldnt find the spare one, so may rob one off of the spare columns), chroming the bumpers, seat foam, and head liner

This holiday weekend I was able to get some time to do a little work on the gts. Between organizing the garage and all of the other family drama I was able to strip the air cleaner housing I got and paint it with this wrinkle finish paint.

image44-2.jpg

I am not too pleased with this "wrinkle" finish, but again I am not to sure what the wrinkle finish is suppose to look like. I was also able start work on the console I got from a member here. I got the body of the console finished. came out pretty well

image44-1.jpg

I started to work on the top plates. They were pitted in some areas so we will see how the final product comes out. But I was only able to get the argent silver on, still need that black stripe to be applied.

Other car work was trying to figure out the cold start issues on the charger, and getting some of the components off the vehicle to send out to be rebuilt.

But the remaining work on the GTS should be as follows:
finding a dip stick that would work ( I am going to reach out to TTI about this, they should know. Plus according to their installation instructions it needs to come out to install the headers anyway). Need to get the rear end rebuilt with new gears and bearings, rear brakes, exhaust, clutch linkage (new Z bar), 180 degree thermostat and housing (mine leaked terribly on break in), getting the power steering coupling (couldnt find the spare one, so may rob one off of the spare columns), make brackets so the power steering pump pulley lines up with crank pulley, chroming the bumpers, seat foam, and head liner

image44-1.jpg

Id like to thank @marksmopar1 for the tach base plate, I was finally able to polish that over the past couple weeks, came out nice:

image45-1.jpg

Id also like to thank @FastMopar71 for selling me the 4 speed console that already had the holes for the console tach! I was able to paint the console base, got the top plates painted and polished and everything installed! I was able to use the ash tray assembly from the automatic console I had and had to fabricate brackets that would mount off of the shift boot mounting holes since the studs for mounting the front side of the ash tray assembly were broken off. all and all it turned out well!!

image45-2.jpg

I still need to check to make sure the tach will function, pretty up the wiring, new shift boots and install the console brackets before I go about mounting this in the car. I did find an old in dash ash tray laying around and stole the cigar lighter out of that. I installed the cigar lighter in the ash tray so I have a place in the console to charge a phone or a GPS.

Still slowly getting small things done here and there before I have to finish getting the big ticket items. Namely that power steering pump alignment issue. But after that hopefully I have enough saved up for the exhaust and rear end!! then maybe see if I can get some street run time on it!!

You don’t by chance have a small block pulley on the pump? Also, I used the Saginaw pump and a pulley from 440SOURCE.

I tried using the saginaw pump with a pulley from 440 source, but the connections were on the back of the pump and would hit the motor mount behind it, so I sold it and went with this federal pump.

it very well could be a small block pulley... is there a difference in the spacing between the big block and small block pulley?

The curvature of the pulley is different.

Id like to thank @marksmopar1 for the tach base plate, I was finally able to polish that over the past couple weeks, came out nice:

View attachment 1715266588

Id also like to thank @FastMopar71 for selling me the 4 speed console that already had the holes for the console tach! I was able to paint the console base, got the top plates painted and polished and everything installed! I was able to use the ash tray assembly from the automatic console I had and had to fabricate brackets that would mount off of the shift boot mounting holes since the studs for mounting the front side of the ash tray assembly were broken off. all and all it turned out well!!

View attachment 1715266589

I still need to check to make sure the tach will function, pretty up the wiring, new shift boots and install the console brackets before I go about mounting this in the car. I did find an old in dash ash tray laying around and stole the cigar lighter out of that. I installed the cigar lighter in the ash tray so I have a place in the console to charge a phone or a GPS.

Still slowly getting small things done here and there before I have to finish getting the big ticket items. Namely that power steering pump alignment issue. But after that hopefully I have enough saved up for the exhaust and rear end!! then maybe see if I can get some street run time on it!!

Excellent! That turned out sweet polished up!! Glad to see it all done up! :)

The curvature of the pulley is different.

Huh... Well by golly gee! I dont know if that is good news, or bad news. Good news that I dont need to modify brackets, but bad news in finding the correct pulley..

Well the search is on! thank you for your help!

-
Back