67 twin turbo dart

-
Is your fuel pressure boost reference line secure?

May I ask where that AFR safety feature is located? I haven’t heard about it, but maybe my microsquirt simply doesn’t have that option.
Its under fuel setting to set the safety here's mine.

16886066507495375873248933813277.jpg

Thanks for looking that up! Doesn’t look like it’s an option for me.

Drove the car over to my parents hours yesterday for the 4th, took my oldest brother and his wife on separete trips around the block and did some safe pulls away from people , still only going to about 4500 and goes lean so I'll make more adjustments when I get home tonight and update the ecu, but it pulled hard, had smiles on their faces when we got back lol
I've never tuned a forced induction car, so I could be talking out my ***. If it were me seeing constant lean conditions, I'd add a ton of fuel to the top of the table above 4500 and back timing to a conservative level, then go for a rip. Data log the run of course, then go back and adjust accordingly. I'd rather it be fat and safe than lean and worry.

I've never tuned a forced induction car, so I could be talking out my ***. If it were me seeing constant lean conditions, I'd add a ton of fuel to the top of the table above 4500 and back timing to a conservative level, then go for a rip. Data log the run of course, then go back and adjust accordingly. I'd rather it be fat and safe than lean and worry.
Oh I have been, like adding 4.0 each time, timing is good I think and safe. Found the top of my fuel pressure regulator leaking when I got home so I'm wondering if the Mallory isn't up to handling two AEM 400 lph fuel pumps and the Mallory handles max 200gph which with both pumps above 3500rpm its 210 gph.

Matt what fuel are you running and what size injectors? If you suspect the 2x pumps are too much for the FPR can you disable one of the pumps and test in low boost? A single 400lph should be enough for some low end testing. Maybe it’s not enough return line for that much fuel volume?

Matt what fuel are you running and what size injectors? If you suspect the 2x pumps are too much for the FPR can you disable one of the pumps and test in low boost? A single 400lph should be enough for some low end testing. Maybe it’s not enough return line for that much fuel volume?
Just running 87 octane and the injectors are 210lbs. Main feed is 10an and return is 8an line, I can set the second one to come on at a higher rpm.

I’d be looking for some E85 in my area. You have enough injector and pump to support it.

What? Only running 5 psi of boost for the street
You must be way soft on timing to be able to run even 5lbs on 87 octane. Seems like a recipe for disaster honestly. I’d hate to see you hurt that motor for a couple bucks/gallon. I’ve run 87 in a pinch or on drag week stuff for long drives but we really pull the tune back and stay out of the throttle.

You must be way soft on timing to be able to run even 5lbs on 87 octane. Seems like a recipe for disaster honestly. I’d hate to see you hurt that motor for a couple bucks/gallon. I’ve run 87 in a pinch or on drag week stuff for long drives but we really pull the tune back and stay out of the throttle.
I'll get a picture of the timing table, have only messed a tiny bit with it.

Or at least some 93!
I actually started to tune on 92-93 whichever it is up here lol but it was suggested by Chris to tune it to 87 just for driving on the street. Haven't heard any pinging while doing soft pulls not really even going wot on them.

Here's what my timing is at currently

20230706_194456.jpg

Yup that’s soft for sure. I still wouldn’t under any circumstances be loading the engine and putting it into boost with 87 octane in the tank. Just because you can’t hear detonation doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

Well been running 89 lately and have been doing some tuning yesterday, but soon will be back up to 91 octane, was out testing with my oldest yesterday and was doing some auto tuning and pulling to 5g it was moving, was up to 100mph pretty quick, love having back country roads with open fields to do stuff like this. But getting there,also ordered a X brace and will have that welded in since no back seat and all and will have the rear cross bar welded inplace as well.

Yup that’s soft for sure. I still wouldn’t under any circumstances be loading the engine and putting it into boost with 87 octane in the tank. Just because you can’t hear detonation doesn’t mean it isn’t there.
You don't hear detonation. You see it When it escapes from that new hole in the block

Yeah it really is, can't wait to dial it in more then take it to the track. Course I need to buy a new helmet and I think since its turbo'd have to wear a sfi jacket too.
any power adder = SFI jacket

Been dealing with a oil temp reading and gauge sweeper issue, but was out doing some pulls before it started to rain, was hoping it was going to be later but got caught in a good drizzle so that ended those pulls, but also to get the oil temp up and will check tomorrow if the sweeper goes back to base as it should. Have already re zeroed it per speed huts instructions, well second time time doing it since first time sensor was still connected bow this time was with it disconnected. Getting closer on the tune pulls, and yes 91 octane at only 5 psi, pulls to 4500 but leans out so I keep adding since I don't always have a co pilot to engage auto tune. Could have talked my wife into letting schedule a dyno time but my daily 14 ram dually needed tires especially before winter comes. Hopefully soon trying to pay down a lot by early next year so I can get back and get it dyno tuned before the track opens up next year to start getting use to it on the track.

20231022_100942.jpg

Last edited:
Been dealing with a oil temp reading and gauge sweeper issue, but was out doing some pulls before it started to rain, was hoping it was going to be later but got caught in a good drizzle so that ended those pulls, but also to get the oil temp up and will check tomorrow if the sweeper goes back to base as it should. Have already re zeroed it per speed huts instructions, well second time time doing it since first time sensor was still connected bow this time was with it disconnected. Getting closer on the tune pulls, and yes 91 octane at only 5 psi, pulls to 4500 but leans out so I keep adding since I don't always have a co pilot to engage auto tune.

View attachment 1716156884
Just add like 10-15% above 4500 and see what it does. Is fuel psi stable above 4500?

-
Back