68 Barracuda original /6 with 4-Speed?

-

AlaskaMoParMan

NDT Technician
Reaction score
After turning my brain to mush searching and searching, I've finally figured that I should consult the experts!

Did Chrysler put a 4-Speed mated to a /6 in 1968? I am kinda fuzzy on this issue.

Here's the skinny: I just bought a 1968 Barracuda Fastback ( with a 360 and a 4-Speed ) that was originally a /6. I think the trans is original, but I am having problems finding anything in print that it is.

Can anyone out there in 4-Speed land help me out. Any and all help would be totally great!!

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to FABO!Lots of guys here to help,just need more info. Does the car have a fender tag?Buildsheet,s can be found under the back seat(bottom),above the glovebox,under the carpet.If you could post some pics of these items,it would help answer some questions.A 68 Barracuda with a 6 cyl and a 4 speed sounds a little odd to me,but I,m new to the 68 Barracuda world and still learning about them.Good luck.

After turning my brain to mush searching and searching, I've finally figured that I should consult the experts!

Did Chrysler put a 4-Speed mated to a /6 in 1968? I am kinda fuzzy on this issue.

Here's the skinny: I just bought a 1968 Barracuda Fastback ( with a 360 and a 4-Speed ) that was originally a /6. I think the trans is original, but I am having problems finding anything in print that it is.

Can anyone out there in 4-Speed land help me out. Any and all help would be totally great!!

Thanks in advance,
One thing is for sure if the trans looks like it came with the car (68 Barracuda) The car would have been a V8 car, the slant six would have to have a deferent bell housing to match up to a V8.
These slant six Barracuda's did come out with three speeds in the floor and a four speed could have been added, It would take a Vine # or build plate to be sure. Welcome to this great site, A /6 guru could answer this question in the slant six forum here.

The 3-speed manual and Torqueflite auto were the only trans available with the 225 ci motor in 68.

Thanks for all your help everyone! I'm going to just contact the prior owner and get the real deal from him. Swapped in or what.

You could order a second gen barracuda with a slant six and a four speed overhere in europe. I've got a four speed out of a /6 67 barracuda. So it was indeed possible.

Antoon

In the US after '66 you couldn't order a 4 speed behind a /6. You could however gotten a 3 speed on the column (didn't come out with 3 on the floor till '70) as standard equipment.

I wanna thank everyone on this forum for all the info (direct or indirect) in helping me solve the issue of the non-existing 68 Barracud Fastback Slant 6 with a 4-Speed from the factory! I finally got it right. /6 with a swapped in A833OD unit. Did a good job though. Either swapped out column so no shift lever was left and/or floor shift 3-Speed unit changed to 4-Speed along with the OD and 360 small block.

Looking for a non-overdrive 4-Speed for an A-Body now to swap in...anyone on this forum from ALASKA have one they want to sell?
I could have one shipped up from lower 48 if anyone out there wants to get involved in this mess...feel free to send me PM. I will gladly pay for shipping if someone know someone who is coming up here to ALASKA or trucking company or something...

Eeek...Living in the Last Frontier can be hard...on the wallet!!!

In the US after '66 you couldn't order a 4 speed behind a /6. You could however gotten a 3 speed on the column (didn't come out with 3 on the floor till '70) as standard equipment.
You could get the truck version into the '90s. The 833 behind a 6 option in a car was resumed in the mid 70's and ran through 1980.

-
Back