68 Dart Power Steering hose small block cant find a replacement

-

fulltank

Reaction score
Ive been scouring everywhere to find a replacement Power Steering hose for my 68 Doge Dart 318,
Ive tried - Year one, Mancini, Classic, Laysons, Rock Auto, ebay,
I even went to a franchise hose maker who would not make it because it travels on a public road
they only make it for Machinery.

Where ever I look up the year the fittings are not bent the same as mine
Part number is 253794 95165 002 8

Any one else been able to source one of these lines ?
Thanks for you suggestions

Power steering line.jpg

Helps to know which pump you have.. there were 3 flavors available and 68 was transition year to Saginaw pumps..

I take mine to an industrial hydraulic hose maker.
They make/repair hoses fo bulldozers, tractors etc.
Eastman? iirc
Take it in one piece so they can get all the bends and angles correct.

As I mentioned I tried that and they refused as it a liability for them to make car parts that will run on a public roads

I have never had trouble, but I've dealt with them under another name for decades.
Green line in Victoria, Vancouver.
Tell them it's for a homemade log splitter on your tractor.
They'll write down "tractor",

I even went to a franchise hose maker who would not make it because it travels on a public road
they only make it for Machinery.

I have never had trouble, but I've dealt with them under another name for decades.
Yep, just take it back to them and tell them it's for a 1972 Allis-Chalmers.

I'm at work, once the White hats leave I'll take a look at our 67 cuda which has same pump as yours.
I still have orig one hanging on pegboard at home as well.

I found another hose company further out of town, "Gregg's " I will go by there to see what they say.

Factory did not use compression fittings on the power steering High pressure Hose. Inverted flare by An, or SAE cone type was typical. Pump side should be inverted flare and gear box side is Cone either 37 degree an, or 45-degree Sae flare fitting.

It looks like this version uses o rings on the fittings where mine are compression fittings I'm not sure if that will be a problem ?

I found another hose company further out of town, "Gregg's " I will go by there to see what they say.
The guys at Gregg's where happy to make up a new line for me, then kept the steel line at the pump end and bent a new line at the steering box all connected to a new rubber hose in the middle.
I think they did a good job. The town they are in had a lot of old rods and they get this request fairly often.
Once again thanks to the community for their detective work to source out options.
I still can't understand why some options use o rings on a flared fitting

20241021_171737.jpg

The guys at Gregg's where happy to make up a new line for me, then kept the steel line at the pump end and bent a new line at the steering box all connected to a new rubber hose in the middle.
I think they did a good job. The town they are in had a lot of old rods and they get this request fairly often.
Once again thanks to the community for their detective work to source out options.

View attachment 1716318593
Nicely done. Finding a good shop is a big plus.

View attachment 1716318593
In the 70's I've "re" built hundreds like that. Just exactly like that. Before the hose companies came out with the compression fittings to fit the old tubing, we used to saw off a JIC adapter and braze it to the tube, then make up a hose with matching JIC (AN) ends

I'm at work, once the White hats leave I'll take a look at our 67 cuda which has same pump as yours.
I still have orig one hanging on pegboard at home as well.
The 67 hose may not work as it has the 90^ adapter on the steering gear.

Alan

-
Back