68 Signet electronic ignition trouble - HELP..

-
The nature of the beast (the end result combination) is a Holley (low rise single plane) Street Dominator intake manifold, Edelbrock 600 CFM (manual choke) Carburetor with a ridiculously stupid cam. The intake and carburetor is what I've used on the car from parts that were available and I already had laying around collecting dust. I have NO IDEA what cam is in the engine. It was in the car when I bought it. What every it is it wouldn't have been my choice. I just tried to make it work (on the cheap) from what I had available. I guess I should be satisfied that perhaps it will never be "perfect" but every step along the way has gotten better. I'll be leaving well enough alone because in the search for perfection perhaps has been found for this particular Valiant.

Last edited:
Next old car I buy, I am going to buy all the wiring new (if available) and do it all at once rather than chasing it down one piece at a time.

I'm pretty sure or confident the ignition issue (power to the coil while cranking) is resolved. The wiring on the Valiant is really hacked that badly were the entire harness needs replacing. There has been someone fooling around, spliced and piecing together a few ignition wires in the harness. One (1) or both of the last two (2) owners I suspect. Neither appeared to have any or little mechanical ability or skill. They were chasing Gremlins in the wrong direction down a rabbit hole and crated a monster.

Well never satisfied and not willing to leave well enough alone. I've narrowed the difficult starting issue (particularly while hot) down to a fuel delivery problem. The next thing I'm contemplating is adding an electric (assist) fuel pump. The goal is to get the car so my youngest son can drive it. I'd like for him to be able to start the car without giving it a thought or having to call me while out somewhere bitching the car won't start.

Last edited:
Carb'd engines always require thought when starting.
In the best scenario with a nicely set up automatic choke and fast idle, its a habit. But it still needs to be set and kicked off. When starting hot, the throttle on some engines need to be cracked. He might as well learn to understand and finess it. One learned it applies to anything - a lawn mower, a sno-thro, a moped or chain saw, or in my case it was a wildland fire pump. That last one was an engine I never ran before - and it was when I realized I didn't need to know the specifics.

Shouldn't need any fuel delivery to start the engine. When a carb sits overnight or longer, the intake manifold dries out. Additionally, today's pump fuels have a larger portion of light components that evaporate at lower temperatures. So those two factors combined mean the enough fuel needs to be placed in the intake (pumpo shots) and have enough light end materials to condense on the walls and get into the cylinder. As long as there's enough fuel in the bowls to fill the accelerator pump that's just the way it is.

Further thought.. I'm going to replace the carburetor accelerator pump before I add an electric fuel pump. Something isn't just right yet.

I don't want to jinx things but a week later and all appears the fix is in on the Valiant. I'm going to leave well enough ALONE for now and be satisfied. The car pasted the test this weekend. My son who is not all that mechanically inclined and has always driven a fuel infected vehicle took the car on Saturday and had no trouble starting it after I instructed him on the starting procedure. I'm not going to bother with an electric fuel pump but I still might do an accelerator pump just for giggles when the spirit moves me because it easy enough to do when I have nothing to do. Which will be never because there will always be something more important to do.

The starting issue with the Signet I thought was as good as it was going to get. After everything priorly listed it was still difficult starting but much better heading in the right direction. I guess all the cranking took its toll on the starter. The starter got so bad that it needed to be tapped on to finally work.

This past weekend my son kicked me in the butt. With his help and motivation, I assisted while he changed the starter. A long the way I have found everything that has been done wrong to the Signet. A lot of issues leading to one big problem. The starter wires and bolts were so loose my son was able to remove the old stater without tools. I am beginning to think the car was deliberately sabotage. No one can be so mechanically stupid as to totally screw up everything.

I think the starter failed because the loose wires might have caused to much resistance. New starter in the car with all fasteners correctly tightened the engine spins faster and it even starts little easier. Furthering towards perfection? I bought and new accelerator pump along the way but with the engine spinning faster it appears the fuel pump might be building more pressure allowing the carburetor squirter to operate more efficiently. First attempt with the new starter I flooded the engine. New learning curve - I do not need to pump the crap out of the accelerator pedal. With new starter in the car and it did not start on the first attempt. Investigated why, I pulled the air cleaner to see it the engine was getting fuel. I gave the carburetor linkage a tug and the squirter was working better than I ever noticed.

LOL You have to laugh, right? We've all seen "stupid stuff" along the way.

-
Back