68' Valiant 4 door

-
makin' progress. got everything fitted, need to finish drilling some holes in the new firewall plate and make a bracket to support the motor. then i can figure out the new gas pedal. trying to fit everything with the stock FW mounted one was getting to be a pain so i will be using a floor mounted one

DSC01920.JPG

DSC01923.JPG

nice one, will you treat the boot lace brackets with fibreglass resin to stiffen them up some? :rofl:
neil.
as long as the car is right side up they'll work just fine :thumbsup:

well they would have worked fine, except these are exhaust hanger boot lace brackets, and i need to get them back under the car before driving it :rolleyes:

so i've caved into conformity and made some out of metal
DSC01930.JPG

will finish them later when the temp goes down

ended up scraping the first brackets and made some new ones. still need to do the wiring and install the go pedal. i also e-mailed EPAS. the floor plate they supply to mount the lower bearing for the column is probably wrong for everything except the 65' they used for development :eek: hopefully they'll sort it out. they must not sell a lot of mopar kits if i'm the first one to mention it.

23.JPG

27.JPG

working on getting the floor mounted pedal in. normally you cut a slot in the floor so the lever hangs down for the cable to connect to, should be easy, so of course on my car the exhaust is in the way.
Untitled.png

also, since the spot i want the pedal is on the flat part of the floor, i was going to need some sort of bracket to get it at the right angle. thought about it at work for a couple of days, and figured i might as well get all the ergonomics to my liking and figured a pedal box style raised floor would do it
29.JPG

34.JPG

now i can rest my left leg on the floor with more than just the toes of my size 9 1/2 feet on the pedal :lol:

that'll work...... as long as your heels don't get caught in those slots just when you don't want them to. they look to be positioned for just that purpose :rolleyes:
neil.

that'll work...... as long as your heels don't get caught in those slots just when you don't want them to. they look to be positioned for just that purpose :rolleyes:
neil.

i was thinking clear plastic and put some led strobe lights underneath :D... but will probably settle for insulation and carpet. got all the pieces worked out. ended up waayy more complicated than i intended, oh well. will do the final install and try out the P/S tomorrow

35.JPG

37.JPG

Work of art. Talk about extreeem !
When it's all done I'd do a road trip just to see it in person.

When it's all done I'd do a road trip just to see it in person.
my son just moved to vegas for work, so i figured if it ever got mostly done and can talk my wife into riding in it that long, i'd swing by and see you

Open invite.Just let me know (When it's not a billion degrees here. )

took a test drive with the EPAS system this morning before the evil yellow thing sprayed too much radiation my way. very happy. full assist is firmer than a stock 60's P/S setup, not over boosted, but still 1 armed parking lot doable. with the assist at it's lowest it's almost as if it's off. if the factory P/S stuff had still been installed i would have just gone Borgson, the way i did it is definitely not for everyone. but if your lacking any factory stuff, and don't want the P/S pump hanging off the motor, this is worth considering.

Not that it matters now but I thought I gave you all the PS stuff. ?
Not that I remember what we stuffed into your truck.

Not that it matters now but I thought I gave you all the PS stuff. ?
Not that I remember what we stuffed into your truck.
you probably did, someday i'll find it all in a box if i ever get around to organizing everything :rolleyes:
what started this was one of the first things i bought when i got the car was a 16:1 manual box, which was fine until i tore my rotator cuff back in december. that put me back on the P/S not so bad bandwagon, then i figured i'd add a tilt column...
anyway, it all seemed to make some kind of sense at the time :lol:

you probably did, someday i'll find it all in a box if i ever get around to organizing everything :rolleyes:
what started this was one of the first things i bought when i got the car was a 16:1 manual box, which was fine until i tore my rotator cuff back in december. that put me back on the P/S not so bad bandwagon, then i figured i'd add a tilt column...
anyway, it all seemed to make some kind of sense at the time :lol:
well if you were fitting a tilt column it made sense to do the electric power setup as you were working in that area anyway. plus it keeps the engine bay cleaner, plus it'll never leak p/s fluid, all good justifications for sure :thumbsup:
neil.

well if you were fitting a tilt column it made sense to do the electric power setup as you were working in that area anyway. plus it keeps the engine bay cleaner, plus it'll never leak p/s fluid, all good justifications for sure :thumbsup:
neil.
how good they were will be determined when i don't have any problems :lol:

this could still turn into a "here's why not to do electric steering" :eek:

it's a very common swap to use the gm vauxhall corsa electric p/s setup on english classis fords here in the uk. there are companies selling already converted columns and they are very popular. i've not heard any bad feedback about them years down the line so you should be fine, they're all much of a muchness.
neil.

Been awhile, hope all is well and you still have the car.

Curious if you ever finished the AC duct adaptation using the factory under dash vents with the Vintage air box.

-
Back