69 barracuda 340-s VS Formula-S

-
Generally speaking....340 automatic cars DO NOT have torque boxes, but 340 4speeds DO.

So, does anyone have production numbers on 340-S (non-Formula S) models for 69?

I think mine might be a bit weird as it's a E55 car, with 340, high end interior, pass mirror, bumperettes, rear defrost, PS, PB, Fr Discs, torquflite, optional hubcaps, optional steering wheel, rally dash (no tach but woodgrain) console, buckets etc.

I am not looking, or hoping it's a special car. I know it's not, but just want to get a better idea of how many like it were made.

Pat

I have never seen a 340 with S emblems on the fenders and no badge on the finish panel. I know the "Cuda" package had the fish on the front fenders and finish panel on the decklid. I have never heard of a plain 340 without the S package before.

Howdy, my 340-S is just a basic 340 fastback car with a four speed. It had/has a silver rear plate with no badge and has/had emblems on the front fenders that said 340-S. That is the only ID it had. Very very plain.
The only option it had was the engine. Someone added the fold down rear seat and I have added a few minor things.
Tom

Thanks Tom, nice to know there are a few odd-balls out there like mine. In all the pics of 340 cars with the 340-s emblem I have never seen any photos of non-forumula S ones.

I am still trying to track down how many like our's were made. I was speaking to a guy who commented that the "dealer ripped someone off" as the E55 engine/suspension package alone was more costly than just adding the Forumla-S package. I am not sure about that though.

Patrick

Do you realize that the Formula-S was only "mandatory" on big block Bcudas in '69. Here's the #'s in the white book for 340 WITH OUT Formula-S(A53), or 'cuda package(A56).
Fastbacks....4 speed=1455, Auto=1230
Coupes....4 speed=219, Auto=386

Damn.. so that plain white notch 4spd which was tight as new when I test drove it was 1 of 219? And I passed because it was too plain :( Especially since his garage had a red 69 Cuda 340 next to it.. not for sale of course.

Ouch

Grant

My question thru all this is in regards to the 340-s fender emblems. It is my understanding that these were only for the A53 Formula S 340 cars. Why would they put a 340-S on a non-S car?? The whole point of the "S" in the emblem in my opinion is to signify a Formula S car.

The 'Barracuda 340-S' emblem on the front fender was only utilized on the
standard 340 Barracuda and some Formula-S cars.

Remember, the Formula-S 'body trim' was an 'option', not standard with the Formula-S package.

You could order the 1969 Barracuda with the 340 and Formula-S package, but without
the Formula-S body trim option. These cars then got the 'Barracuda 340-S' front fender emblem.

It was also the body 'engine emblem', when you ordered the Code #E55 340 Engine/Suspension Package.

As seen below.

plymouth_barracuda_red_front_1969.jpg

Remember, the Formula-S 'body trim' was an 'option', not standard with the Formula-S package.

You could order the 1969 Barracuda with the 340 and Formula-S package, but without
the Formula-S body trim option. These cars then got the 'Barracuda 340-S' front fender emblem.

plymouth_barracuda_red_front_1969.jpg

So what is the "Formula-S" body trim/option? From what I have learned, it is the blacked out grille surrounds, blacked out rear tail panel with the round "S" emblem and 340-s on the fenders.

My A 56 code Cuda is a 340 car and has a deluxe interior and fold down back seat. I did notice it does not have torque boxes. I had a A 53 Formula S Barracuda and it had torque boxes. Not sure of the rime or reason for cars having torque boxes, just an observation on another area of these cars.

Of course my could use the torque boxes with the motor i have in it since 1976:blob:

Sweet mother of god...what color is that Barracuda?

My 340 Formuls S just has the Barracuda emblems on the front fenders with no 340-S emblems but that's what you got if you have the wide side stripe with the engine call outs on them.

4spdragtop,

Code #A53 Formula-S option.

Blacked out grille, and black applique rear panel with the Formula-S medallion.

It appears, that the upper body horizontal striping makes a difference on what
front fender emblem was mounted on the 340.
* 'Barracuda' emblem...............(with '340' horizontal body stripe)
* 'Barracuda 340-S' emblem......(Code #V78 delete horizontal body stripe)

By the way, many of the standard 1969 Barracuda's with just the Code #E55 (340 engine application)
were equipped with bench seats.

Production numbers and option codes 1969 Barracuda

Attachments

• 028 (640x480).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 465
  • 053 (640x480).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 452
Ok,

The 1969 Barracuda with the Code #E55 (340 Engine Package), came through with
the 'Barracuda 340-S' emblem on the front fender.

These cars were required to come equipped with the Code #13 Suspension Package,
including Heavy-duty Torsion-bars (.870"), Heavy-duty Ball-joints, 6-Leaf rear springs, Front Sway-bar, Code #S25 Firm-Ride 1" shocks (Front and Rear).

They were available with an Automatic on the column, and/or a 4-Speed with
vinyl bench seat.

All cars came equipped with the 8 3/4" rear, and 3.23 Gears (Open rear).

Also, D70 x 14" Wide-Oval tires were standard.

These Barracuda 340-S cars were they same package as the 1969 Dart 'Swinger 340'.

Some came through with the chrome-tipped exhaust, but most didn't.

4spdragtop,

Code #A53 Formula-S option.

Blacked out grille, and black applique rear panel with the Formula-S medallion.

It appears, that the upper body horizontal striping makes a difference on what
front fender emblem was mounted on the 340.
* 'Barracuda' emblem...............(with '340' horizontal body stripe)
* 'Barracuda 340-S' emblem......(Code #V78 delete horizontal body stripe)

By the way, many of the standard 1969 Barracuda's with just the Code #E55 (340 engine application)
were equipped with bench seats.

Gonna have to chk my fendertag to see what it shows as far as the V78 code. Mine still has the orig tips as well, plans are getting those re-chromed.
Thanks!!

So by the looks of the codes in Galens book, it looks like there were only 34 69 340 4spd verts made. No break down on the 340 4spd "S" verts?? I was told that 4spds vs auto #'s were approx 20% of the auto numbers??? Thanks for posting the #'s!!

More confusion,,,,,

If you ordered the basic 1969 Plympouth Barracuda with the Code #E55 340 engine
package and required Code #S13 suspension package, the car came through with a
'Barracuda 340-S' emblem on the front fender.

Now, if you opted for the upper-body horizontal 340 Stripe Kit option, the '340-S' was not installed,
and the fender than came through with only the 'Barracuda' emblem.

-
Back