'69 Barracuda Convertible find

-

clinteg

Reaction score
So I was talking with this guy at work and he's like "Hey man I saw this Barracuda convertible over here not far from work. They (owner of the shop) pulled it from the trees and it's sitting up front by the building!" So I figure I'd go take a gander at it and see what exactly it was. Sure enough it's a '69 vert. I talked to the owner of the shop and asked what he was planning on doing with it. He said probably sell it. So the story goes is that it belongs to a friend of his. His friend parked the car there years and years ago and never came back to get it. The owner claims that he can't seem to find the guy either. That's a little hard for me to believe with the information age we live in but whatever. So knowing that it's not this guy's car, I ask about the title. Of course he doesn't have the title, but claims that he can apply for a storage title? I don't know much about that. So the title thing may be an issue for people, but I wanted to post it up cause it would be cool if someone could save it. I can't afford another project or a divorce due to adding another project so I'm out. Supposedly the actual owner has had it since 1974. It appears to be fairly original as far as I can tell. Most of the glass is busted out as well as headlights and tail lenses. Rust in the lower rear quarters and in the floor pans (as expected). It's a 318 car with console shift and looks to have had a white interior. I looked underneath and as far as rust goes, it doesn't look too bad. It looks WAY better than mine did when I got it. Has the original undercoating on it. From what I saw the frame rails all looked pretty good. I couldn't get far underneath because I was in my dress clothes for work. But obviously it needs COMPLETELY gone through. It's too bad the guy didn't leave it sit inside, but he said he needed the space. It's been in the weather for 10 years or so sitting. So here's a couple pics and a link to an album of pictures. The location of the place is Off-Road Motorsports in Wichita, KS. I want to say the guy's name was Scott? But anyhow, since I'm here in town, I can help with getting more pictures, etc if anyone needs.

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/clinteg/library/1969 Dart/1969 Barracuda Convertible

When are you dragging that thing over here?

If nothing else it could save numerous others--

did they have a price?
Lawrence

He didn't know what it was worth and I honestly don't either so I didn't say anything about what it could be worth. All I said was that it was worth whatever someone was willing to pay. He didn't say what he wanted bc he doesn't know what to ask. I think he's just wanting it moved off the property more or less. Although he did say that he'd like to see it saved. I dunno if it's worth it or not. I've seen guys on here take on projects way worse than this one.

I know a guy in Hutch, KS that'd have virtually every part needed to bring that car back to life.

Those are some good pictures of the car. Looks saveable to me. I have been looking for proof that the front valence had black out on the little flats and this is the first 69 example I have seen that seems to have it. This detail is missed on many cars. This car looks pretty undisturbed to me. I wonder if this was only done on the lighter colors or if the B7 cars had it as well. I know of a one owner 68 and he swears it was that way from the factory Pic attached.

I agree - other than lower 1/4's and front floors (and the obvious total restoration required) the car does not look too bad - I would be all over it if it were close to home!

Those are some good pictures of the car. Looks saveable to me. I have been looking for proof that the front valence had black out on the little flats and this is the first 69 example I have seen that seems to have it. This detail is missed on many cars. This car looks pretty undisturbed to me. I wonder if this was only done on the lighter colors or if the B7 cars had it as well. I know of a one owner 68 and he swears it was that way from the factory Pic attached.

My 21k mile survivor MODTOP has this black out....it's Y2 Sunfire yellow.

I have two that I doubt have been repainted. Not sure of the years on these. Both are blacked out. I'm thinking the burgundy is '68 and the gold/tan possibly '69. I did have a '67 valance, dark green that was blacked out also.

Attachments

• LowValBurg.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 267
  • LowValTan.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 267

I have a white original that is blacked out too. They are not painted very accurately/carefully. Like they had a stencil and just gunned it. You can see that in all the pictures above too.

I can see the blackout on my 68 (RR Burgundy) under the repaint. That's a fairly dark colored car.

Clinteg,

Sorry to jump on your post and hope you get and restore that VERT. Lot of work but would love to see it saved.

Thanx to the rest for talking about the black out . Have made that detail change and will post in restoration post.

Clinteg,

Sorry to jump on your post and hope you get and restore that VERT. Lot of work but would love to see it saved.

I would love to see it saved but this one is not for me guys. I just can't do it. If it were a big block car or Formula S or something, maybe. But I really don't have any more money or time for another car. That's why I'm posting it here in hopes someone can do something with it. I will try and help in whatever way I can to someone who is interested in it.

I found one here, in a nice dry pole barn. I asked the guy to sell it to me as he is disabled.

He said sure, for 12,000.00. It's almost identical to that one, same color and all, just about the same condition.

I would love to see it saved but this one is not for me guys. I just can't do it. If it were a big block car or Formula S or something, maybe. But I really don't have any more money or time for another car.

"Proverbial words out of mouth for Me...

clinteg said:
That's why I'm posting it here in hopes someone can do something with it. I will try and help in whatever way I can to someone who is interested in it.

Sir, if 'someone' contacts You on the actual purchase, I will help You help the purchaser
in whatever way I can.

P.s,
Not to be a condescending *** in My observations,
In My Humble opinion Drop Top Barracuda's carry as much 'weight' as B/B or 'S' cars.

compared to unrestored cars in my neighborhood that car looks good. it wouldn't be that bad to restore. it is far better than mine was. I am a little jealous.Those grills are worth thier weight in gold.

In My Humble opinion Drop Top Barracuda's carry as much 'weight' as B/B or 'S' cars.

They are what the owner see's in them!

Have you seen "Pams Jamacia Blue Baby"!! Who would not love to tool around in that ride!!!

And sorry BB A-Bodies are just plain Awesome!! Your opinion respected!!

ok-- based off the info given what would you pay?
very easy to say someone needs to restore /fix but in actuality this would be real $$ for a 318 69 convertible.

I for 1 would not go over $1500 -- too much work/return value --based on my knowledge of Kansas & it weather.

I called & got an impression of price-- & will post it later. Lawrence

-
Back