69 Dart disc brake swap??

-

c0urville

Reaction score
My son and I are getting ready to perform a disc brake swap on his 69 Dart (his first car). I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer for us.
Our car is a 69 Dart with drums/drums.
The donor car is a 73 Dart disc/drum.
We were able to get all the parts from the donor car except the master cylinder and distribution block.
My questions are:
1. Can we use the original 69 distribution block if we put in an adjustable proportioning valve from Summit between the distribution block and rear drums?
2. Can we use the original 69 master cylinder or do we need to buy a replacement from a 73 Dart that had disc/drums?
We appreciate any and all help, Thanks.

1. Yes the adjustable proportioning valve will do the job.
2. No You will need a disc/drum master cylinder. You should be able to purchase one at your local parts house.
Question for you?? Did the donor car have power brakes?

Its also a good idea to switch to the 7/8" rear wheel cylinders to prevent rear wheel lock up. Order them for a '72 D100 Dodge truck 2WD and they will bolt right one. That is what I run.

Jeff, thanks. No the donor car did not have power brakes.

340, thank you too. The person we bougth the car from already swaped in a different rear end with the larger bolt pattern. Would those 7/8" wheel cylinders still work? And should I still use the proportional valve?

Correct, you need either the 73+ Disc/drum prop valve or put an adjustable one in the main line to the rear brakes. Your choice. I've run both ways without issue.

Need the disc/drum master cylinder.

One more question. The 73 Dart had slider calipers, what size is the banjo bolt for the brake lines. I was at my local checker and they don't list a bolt, they only have different sizes. Anybody know the specs for the bolt?

I know the 5/8 hex is correct. Other dimensions sound good.
If you buy new lines from advance or autozone, their included copper seal washers may be wrong. Inside is too small. Good luck

I bought the same rear cylinders from Rick that danmc77 posted above. One of my winter projects.

Chrysler spent millions of dollars designing braking systems. It's best to use the distrubution block, master cylinder, rotors, calipers, rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes from a similiar car like a 73 dart donor car. I've been running this system for years on my car without any kind of proportioning valve and have never had a braking problem.

Chrysler spent millions of dollars designing braking systems. It's best to use the distrubution block, master cylinder, rotors, calipers, rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes from a similiar car like a 73 dart donor car. I've been running this system for years on my car without any kind of proportioning valve and have never had a braking problem.

They did the R&D and then the bean counters came in said lets cut costs and put the same rear wheel cylinders on everything.

Jeff, thanks. No the donor car did not have power brakes.

340, thank you too. The person we bougth the car from already swaped in a different rear end with the larger bolt pattern. Would those 7/8" wheel cylinders still work? And should I still use the proportional valve?

I run 7/8" rear wheel cylinders and proportioning valve on mine. I am running the stock 4 piston disc brakes. I had severe rear wheel lock up, even after everything was replaced and pressure bled, until I went with the 7/8" rear wheel cylinders and proportioning valve.

-
Back