69 Dart Swinger Missing!

-

69DARTWANTED

Reaction score
I'm trying to locate a blue 69 Dart Swinger 4 Speed.

VIN: LM23P9B187902

The car was purchased just North of Madison Wisconsin around three years ago.

I have the title to the car and would like to discuss selling the title or buying the car from the current owner.

Any suggestions on how to locate this car?

Your help is appreciated!

this doesn't sound good-- how do you have the title but not the car? Lawrence

Thanks for asking.

My dads best friend bought the car new in 69.

Short and sweet:

He sold his parents home farm, where the car resided in an old barn out back (for the past 25years).

After closing on the property.....he was to remove the car and other items from above mentioned barn. 2 years went by, and new owners finally just got rid of it to a local mopar guy.....Free!!!

Mopar guy sold the car for $2,500 with no title....somewhere around three years ago to someone in the Montello Wisconsin area.

Anyway......I had the title dropped in my lap new years eve, from the original owner. "do what you can with this".

It's a real crazy scenario.

I don't think anyone did any wrong here. Original owners procrastination is what has caused this whole mess.

I just think the title should be with the car.....(assuming it has not been totally butchered by now)

You may have a free car if it hasn't be re-registered yet, depending on the laws in WI.

That title you have, is likely, worth little more than the value of a piece of paper.

You may have a free car if it hasn't be re-registered yet, depending on the laws in WI.

Depends entirely on the laws in Wisconsin, or possibly the state where the car is now. But either of those statements could be true!

In California, if the car is no longer "in the system" a new title can be issued from a bill of sale. In that case, even if the old title is found, it's useless as it was replaced when the new title was issued. However, if the car is actually "in the system" and hasn't been re-registered, it belongs to the title holder. Even if it isn't still in the system, but hasn't been registered by the person that currently has the car, you could update the title and be the legal owner. Then you'd just have to find it, and the very unhappy person storing it. And, even if it WAS in the system, there are still legal ways of getting a new title without the old title, in which case the old title is worthless (again).

But Wisconsin may have an entirely different set of laws. And even though that's the law here, your experience at the DMV might differ depending on who helps you at the window. A couple of my cars were purchased with bills of sale, and I had vastly different experiences getting them titled in my name.

All great information. Today I'm going to contact the DMV and see if the car has been issued a new title etc. I'm not sure what they can tell me, and what they can't. But I can't seem to think about anything else while on the hunt for this Dart. My wife thinks I'm obsessed!

Good luck to you, you'll probably need it.

Again, what the DMV can tell you varies from state to state. In California, they wouldn't even give me the name, address or any contact information whatsoever of the person that held the title on a car that I bought with a bill of sale. Long story, but needless to say I was told it was no longer "in the system" so the bill of sale was sufficient, and I had no cause to think the car was stolen etc. So literally, I had the car in my possession, and they wouldn't tell me who had the title and legally owned the car. :violent1:

Fortunately, I know some folks in the law enforcement business, and was able to track down the contact info I needed. When I found the last recorded owner, they hadn't seen the car in 10+ years. They had sold the car as a running and driving vehicle, and it had been parted out over the years by a few different folks. Fortunately for me, the owner of record was willing to sign the title over to me. They of course could have requested that I return their car, and I would have been out the purchase price of the vehicle.

Keep in mind in your search that, more than likely at least, no real wrongdoing has occurred unless of course the car hasn't been registered as per the law. If that's the case, you still have legal claim to the car, but the only thing that the new "owner" has done wrong is not title the car. And they may have even tried, only to be held hostage by the DMV as I was.

As far as locating the car, you have a harder road than I did. If the car has been registered to the new owner, the DMV probably won't be able to tell you who that actually is. And, if it hasn't been registered, then you already have the info from the title, which doesn't help you locate the car. Again, best of luck in your quest. :thumbup:

I could tell you the whole process here in Oklahoma but that information would be worthless in Wisconsin. Since laws vary from state to state you are on the right track going to your local DMV for accurate answers.

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. I contacted the DMV. In Wisconsin they only keep records for 5 years. They have no record of this vehicle ever being registered. The next step is a newspaper ad in the Marquette County Tribune. Hemmings isn't a bad idea either.....thanks for the tip!

I also contacted the Sherriffs Dept. I talked to dispatch and was told even if they had information on the vehicle, they could not share it. Another dead end.

So its out of the system. So that means the new owner hasn't registered it yet, but it also means your title is basically useless except for providing you with the VIN for the car. Not sure about Wisconsin, but again here in Ca if a car is totally out of the system it needs to be inspected at the DMV. Nothing crazy, they just check that the VIN's match, but you would need the car...

The ad in the paper isn't a bad idea, you might also try putting an add on Craigslist with a partial VIN. Do you have any pictures of the car?

I'm not sure how to "thank" on this site yet.....but I really appreciate all your help.
I don't have any photos of the car.....but I bet the original owner does......likely from 30 plus years ago, but the car had it's original paint 3 years ago....so who knows, it's worth a shot. Craigslist is next on my list of "to do's". Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm not sure how to "thank" on this site yet.....but I really appreciate all your help.
I don't have any photos of the car.....but I bet the original owner does......likely from 30 plus years ago, but the car had it's original paint 3 years ago....so who knows, it's worth a shot. Craigslist is next on my list of "to do's". Thanks for the suggestion!

just hit the thanks button on the lower right of the post, of the person you want to thank.

to thank someone just hit the "thanks" button on the lower right of each thread response. ----------------------------------------------------------------> lookdown

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. I contacted the DMV. In Wisconsin they only keep records for 5 years. They have no record of this vehicle ever being registered. The next step is a newspaper ad in the Marquette County Tribune. Hemmings isn't a bad idea either.....thanks for the tip!

I also contacted the Sherriffs Dept. I talked to dispatch and was told even if they had information on the vehicle, they could not share it. Another dead end.

The car may have been parted, made to a race car or titled in a different state. Here I can title a car from any state or from an unknown originality as long as the paperwork is done correctly.

That's odd......I don't see the button on my computer???? Spam protected somehow maybe??

FABO.....I love you!!!!! Last week I got a PM from a brand new member. "I have your car"

Today, I drove to Illinois, and bought this car back!!!! The car is now titled in my name and I am the legal owner!:cheers:

I could honestly not be more excited!!!!

This goes to show, there are still good people in the world! Don't let the news fool you!

Attachments

• 69 swinger 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 397
  • 69 swinger 1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 69 swinger 3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 361
  • 69 swinger 4.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 383
Wow really cool that you actually found it! Congrats!

Nice Dart!
Looks like it was more than $2500....
Obviously had a lot done to it.
Do tell.

Wow a rare success story!! That's awesome

Awesome!!! :thumbup:

A lot of people look for their old cars, not too many actually find them. Congrats!

-
Back