69 Dart tire size

-
Reaction score
Will a 245 60 15 on 15x8 fit on the back, and will a 215 65 15 on 15x7 work on the front? It is on stock suspension and 8.25 rear and 11" discs up front.

what's the section width on the 245? If it's under 9.65", yes, it will fit.

245 section tire is roughly 245 mm or 9.65". Most tires are pretty close to what they are supposed to be if mounted on the recommended wheel.
I can tell you from personal experience that even with the exact right wheel a 245 tire is a very tight fit in a '69 Dart with stock suspension and stock wheelwells.

Here we go... SOOOOOO MANNNYY THreads on this subject !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally had this on my 69 Swinger and passenger side tire rubbed wheel lip when turning corners or entering parking lots. 15x8 with 4.5 BS on completely original car. Could not get tip of pinkie finger between wheel lip and tire on passenger side.

I just in last few days switched to 15x7 with 4.25 BS and 235 70r15 tires and have about 5/8" clearance between wheel lip and tire. Car is stock ride height with all new components. Much happier with setup now, not panicking every time I take car out. I'l post pics in a day or so.

Will a 245 60 15 on 15x8 fit on the back, and will a 215 65 15 on 15x7 work on the front? It is on stock suspension and 8.25 rear and 11" discs up front.

The tires should fit, but whether or not that wheel combination actually fits your car depends entirely on the backspace and the ride height. A few things-

A 215/65/15 is 26" tall. Which is pretty much the upper limit for tire height in the front if you want to avoid cutting bodywork, like the lower front corner of the fender. Whether or not that tire actually clears when the wheels are turned will depend on the backspace on your rims and the ride height of your car. I would recommend a 15x7 with at least 4.25" of backspace, and it will still be close. Especially if you're lower than the factory ride height.

In the back, a 245/60/15 will also fit on a 15x7" rim. The "measuring rim", the rim size that the manufacturer uses to measure all of the specs they list, is actually a 15x7 for that tire. Mounted on a 15x7" the section width of that tire is 9.8", and while you can mount it on a 15x8 the 15x7" is just fine. A 15x7 with 4.25" of backspace should work as well, especially with a BBP 8.25.

It's VERY important to note that a BBP 8.25 rear axle is not the same width as an A-body 8 3/4 rear axle with BBP axles and brakes. The 8.25" rear end is about a 1/2" per side narrower, which means you can use less backspace than you would on an A-body 8 3/4 that's been converted to BBP. Or even a SBP 8 3/4 actually (not as much though). So while a 15x7 with 4.25" of backspace with a 245/60/15 would be pretty close to the quarters on most Dart's with a BBP 8 3/4, the same wheel on a Dart with a BBP 8.25 will actually be pretty close to the springs. Which is a problem that can be solved with a small spacer if need be (probably not needed on most cars), whereas being too close to the quarter can only be solved by cutting stuff or getting a rim with more backspace.

My apologies to the OP, I missed that he is using an 8.25 vs 8.75 rear end. My setup uses an 8.75.

My apologies to the OP, I missed that he is using an 8.25 vs 8.75 rear end. My setup uses an 8.75.

Yup, makes a difference. With an 8.75 using BBP axles and brakes you actually want more like a 15x7 with 4.5" of backspace to maximize the tire width.

And the pre-'70 cars tend to run a little smaller on the quarter to inner fenderwell measurements in the back, so on some cars fitting a 245 is more of a problem than on others. Gotta measure the spring to quarter width for the car you're trying to mount the tires on to be really sure. Most can manage it, but some are a lot tighter than others.

The tires should fit, but whether or not that wheel combination actually fits your car depends entirely on the backspace and the ride height. A few things-

A 215/65/15 is 26" tall. Which is pretty much the upper limit for tire height in the front if you want to avoid cutting bodywork, like the lower front corner of the fender. Whether or not that tire actually clears when the wheels are turned will depend on the backspace on your rims and the ride height of your car. I would recommend a 15x7 with at least 4.25" of backspace, and it will still be close. Especially if you're lower than the factory ride height.

In the back, a 245/60/15 will also fit on a 15x7" rim. The "measuring rim", the rim size that the manufacturer uses to measure all of the specs they list, is actually a 15x7 for that tire. Mounted on a 15x7" the section width of that tire is 9.8", and while you can mount it on a 15x8 the 15x7" is just fine. A 15x7 with 4.25" of backspace should work as well, especially with a BBP 8.25.

It's VERY important to note that a BBP 8.25 rear axle is not the same width as an A-body 8 3/4 rear axle with BBP axles and brakes. The 8.25" rear end is about a 1/2" per side narrower, which means you can use less backspace than you would on an A-body 8 3/4 that's been converted to BBP. Or even a SBP 8 3/4 actually (not as much though). So while a 15x7 with 4.25" of backspace with a 245/60/15 would be pretty close to the quarters on most Dart's with a BBP 8 3/4, the same wheel on a Dart with a BBP 8.25 will actually be pretty close to the springs. Which is a problem that can be solved with a small spacer if need be (probably not needed on most cars), whereas being too close to the quarter can only be solved by cutting stuff or getting a rim with more backspace.
Would it be better to go with 215 60 15 on the front and I forgot to mention the fact that I will be turning the torsion bars to raise the front on the car a little bit

Yup, makes a difference. With an 8.75 using BBP axles and brakes you actually want more like a 15x7 with 4.5" of backspace to maximize the tire width.

And the pre-'70 cars tend to run a little smaller on the quarter to inner fenderwell measurements in the back, so on some cars fitting a 245 is more of a problem than on others. Gotta measure the spring to quarter width for the car you're trying to mount the tires on to be really sure. Most can manage it, but some are a lot tighter than others.
I plan on rolling the inner fender lips front and rear

Here is a 215 65r15 on a 15x6 wheel on 69 Dart that sits an inch lower than stock. No rubbing issues at all.

Here is the 235 70r15 on 15x7 from side, and looking upward towards wheel lip. The tire is 1/2"-5/8" from front edge of wheel opening.
20180501_182312.jpg
20180501_182333.jpg
20180501_182346.jpg

Would it be better to go with 215 60 15 on the front and I forgot to mention the fact that I will be turning the torsion bars to raise the front on the car a little bit

A 215/60/15 is kinda short at 25.2”. It would definitely be an easier fit. If your intent isn’t to lower the car, you should be able to run the 215/65/15’s. Rolling the lip won’t do much, that’s good for increasing the width of the tire but with height it’s the lower front corner that’s the issue. It can also be trimmed back though. Honestly I would be inclined to run a 225/60/15, they’re a good height at 25.6”, and put a little more rubber on the ground. I ran those on my Duster for awhile.

If you roll the rear quarter lips the 245/60/15’s should be fine as long as you get the backspace right.

I have 215/65R15 on the front of my Dart (actually on all four corners) on 15x7 wheels with 4 1/8" backspace and they don't rub my front fenders. I can't answer your question about the rear tires.

Well since this thread is all ready going and I think I know what size tire I need for the rear of my 1969 dart with a 7¼ rearend that I want 15" rims on so I need 4.5 bolt spacing 4½ BS for the rim with a 245/60R15 on them right? Stock springs now but I will be getting +2" over stock height after the new year

I sure hope they fit !
My Mickey Thompson 245/60 15 S/S ET Drag Radials just showed up today. They going on Coker 15x7 Steelies.
I am running S/S springs and shimmed them back 1 inch.
I hope to have them mounted in the next few weeks.

-
Back