69 Formula S bids up to 82,000

-

TF360

Reaction score
Did you guys see the Formula S convertible 4-speed bid up to 82,000 at Mecum? It was red with a white interior.

Sharp looking fish!! Can’t help but think of how loose that car would be though…. imagine how much cowl shake and flex there would be when going over railway tracks…..

Sharp looking fish!! Can’t help but think of how loose that car would be though…. imagine how much cowl shake and flex there would be when going over railway tracks…..
Good candidate for a US Car Tool stiffening kit.....

Rare car.

Not restored by a good Mopar shop. Lots of missing details with corners cut. Looks like done by Chevy guy.

Nice... but not $82K nice.

Whats the deal with the remote mirror drivers door with just a plug where the old remote whole was?

1698374339092.png

Should have a Hurst shifter in 1969

Does the 68 shifter knob get all that white inlay like that?

1698374558830.png

Hole should be filled in on inner fender and the ones on the firewall need insulation hold down pins or filling. Heater motor plate doesn't get those sheet metal nuts. PCV hose doesn't get clamp...

1698374817251.png

Poor quality body work and refinishing of previously pitted tail panel. Needs unpitted Formula S emblem. Tailight center should be black to match tail panel.

1698374985946.png

Radiator support should be blacked out. Front valance should have indent blacked out.

1698375183042.png

Also rear wheel wheel well should have some undercoating out behind wheel. Even if non "undercoating" optioned car. Also the lower body line fade out is missing on quarter panel.

1698375192919.png

BTW it’s just a no-sale

Everything is shill bid up at these places. Even what appears as actual “sales” are fake sometimes.

And the odometer numbers aren't lined up. Back in the 70s, I was told that was a sign of mileage tampering. Not that mileage matters to me on cars that old, but for 82K, everything should be in order.

Should be a lowered # car than 1 of 83...more like 1 of 34.
Like Autox said lots of incorrect "stuff" and a "no sale"

Yea, funny how we notice all the incorrect stuff.
Many of us here know much more about those cars than the so called "professionals" that restore them. And we damn sure know more than the used car salesmen that are auctioning them off. :lol: :lol:

Priced at least twice what it's actually worth, based on just what's been pointed out here.

I wouldn't pay over 20 grand for a 340 car unless it had 3 X 2brls

Yeah the fading body line in 1/4 panels missing on second gen Barracudas is a common thing. I never knew it was there until I bought AMD full 1/4s and saw that fading line on them.

View attachment 1716159820

To me that’s one of the more damning issues with that car, and it could definitely be the hardest one to fix. The problem is now you don’t know the state of the bodywork underneath. It’s a spot that’s prone to rust, so you’ve got unanswered questions. Is the bodyline gone because the quarter rusted out and the “repair” was just to slab bondo on it? Or is the quarter solid and it was just carelessness on behalf of the body guy? It’s a small detail, but it being missing says a lot about the quality of the bodywork done. And even if the quarter is solid, it’s not an easy fix.

A lot other stuff is pretty minor, swap out some hardware, even the black out sections are pretty simple to remedy given how the factory did that stuff to begin with. Send the tail panel trim out for polishing etc.

But a missing bodyline, that’s an issue. Even the best case scenario means bodywork and at least a partial repaint. At worst and you’ve got a bondo sculpture that needs quarters. If it’s a middle of the road car then I’d leave it alone and just have fun. But considering it’s supposed to be a high end car, well, it’s gonna get high end scrutiny and that kind of stuff gets noticed.

Yeah like a numbers M code.
no lies!

and here's proof positive

To me that’s one of the more damning issues with that car, and it could definitely be the hardest one to fix. The problem is now you don’t know the state of the bodywork underneath. It’s a spot that’s prone to rust, so you’ve got unanswered questions. Is the bodyline gone because the quarter rusted out and the “repair” was just to slab bondo on it? Or is the quarter solid and it was just carelessness on behalf of the body guy? It’s a small detail, but it being missing says a lot about the quality of the bodywork done. And even if the quarter is solid, it’s not an easy fix.

A lot other stuff is pretty minor, swap out some hardware, even the black out sections are pretty simple to remedy given how the factory did that stuff to begin with. Send the tail panel trim out for polishing etc.

But a missing bodyline, that’s an issue. Even the best case scenario means bodywork and at least a partial repaint. At worst and you’ve got a bondo sculpture that needs quarters. If it’s a middle of the road car then I’d leave it alone and just have fun. But considering it’s supposed to be a high end car, well, it’s gonna get high end scrutiny and that kind of stuff gets noticed.

I think a lot of these miss the body line. Even with original quarters.

To me the remote mirror car is pretty major too. But in theory it could be fixed independent of the exterior paint.... weld in plug, grind smooth, bondo, repaint all of black inside the driver door, mask entire car....

More than anything, the issues I pointed out show that there could be many more issue up close with a in-person inspection. Dig into this one deeper. Yes, many can be corrected. But when you are on the upper end of the price bell curve for this car, you'd expect issues like this to be sorted out.

It's a shame it didn't go to a more knowledgeable restorer. The issues wouldn't have really cost much more during restoration. But more costly to fix now.

Last edited:
There were no M-code convertibles.

And all M-codes are automatics.

The 340 4spd convertible is rarer that an M-code. And the paint color is pretty uncommon also. And a desirable color too.

But... rare does not always mean it's a desirable as other cars.
no arguments from me there, i was just trying to point out that there are legit well restored cars in that number bracket.

and yeah, 100% that rare does not always mean desirable and expected to bring big money!

-
Back