70-76 Demon,Dart sport,Duster Pictorial History

-
I know this is an old thread, but I also have a 71 Demon, I am the second owner, I bought it used in the fall of 1971 that has these same side stripes. Car was bought in MD. I have never seen another car with these stripes except this one. ANy idea if these stripes can be had anywhere? Car is going to be repainted shortly and would like to put these same stripes back on. If not, I really like the Duster stripes that look similiar. Might go that route, who knows. Thanks
Yes, those are factory stripes, I've saw them on several 71 Demon's, all were 6 cyl. Cars. I have a friend with a Demon with those stripes. They may have came on some 318 cars as well, but I've only saw them on 6 cyl.cars.

A strange thing about my 71 demon is it has a rib decklid with factory cutouts for a rear wing. Its a late build 71.

A strange thing about my 71 demon is it has a rib decklid with factory cutouts for a rear wing. Its a late build 71.

It could have been that the factory ran out of the non-rib truck lids since they were getting phased out.

Years ago I went to buy a '76 Dart Lite hood and trunk lid (with the aluminum bracing underneath). Turned out that the trunk was a conventional, all-steel unit. Guy swore it was off of the same car and there weren't any clues to disprove that. Paint matched! They've been known to use left-over, older parts on newer vehicles too.

Yes, those are factory stripes, I've saw them on several 71 Demon's, all were 6 cyl. Cars. I have a friend with a Demon with those stripes. They may have came on some 318 cars as well, but I've only saw them on 6 cyl.cars.

My car was a 318, 3 on the floor with a 8.75 rear.

My Demon, not sure if this is going to start a war, not going back to reread the thread, but I put a twin snorkle, factory hood scoop on the car. The underside of the hood had the template of the holes for the hoodscoop drilled in the braces.

Also, the car had been hit in the rear and repaired, not great, but repaired. The trunk lid also had the cutouts for the rear spoiler. I'm guessing the trunk lid had been replaced with a replacement, but not positive.

It could have been that the factory ran out of the non-rib truck lids since they were getting phased out.

Years ago I went to buy a '76 Dart Lite hood and trunk lid (with the aluminum bracing underneath). Turned out that the trunk was a conventional, all-steel unit. Guy swore it was off of the same car and there weren't any clues to disprove that. Paint matched! They've been known to use left-over, older parts on newer vehicles too.
They did away with the smooth trunk lid because people were bending them. Here is a link that tells about it.

The Plymouth Duster and Scamp, and the Dodge Demon - cars based on the Plymouth Valiant

just a guess here. are the fenders the original fender? if not sure then i think that they might be from a 73 dart sport 340. this is the onlt fender that had the additional holes like you are talking about. i am not sure if they interchange. the dart for 73 said "sport" then above it it had "dart 340" only other choice is it is a 74 fender. the duster had "duster" with "360" under it.
Valiant fenders?

There's not enough evidence that says holes did not come with the scoop option either! You were open to someone getting more info on the '72's and '73's from Galen Govier in a previous scoop thread. So in all fairness, I think we should agree that it's still up in the air, including the possibility that they may have come with and without the holes!

The burden of documented proof is on the "with holes" crowd because it's not common to find documentation that says what a car "didn't" have. However 7demon2 did post a parts page that listed the under-scoop grommets in '72 and '73 parts books. His quote was: "baffle a/scoop water (sports hood). part#2998881. it lists 2 being 1 for each hole. the third column is dart/demon. if you look down further in the same column near the bottom you can see the stripes listed and the scoop and scoop nuts to secure it on. the book is dated november 1972 in the right corner. now if the holes weren't being put in then why would they list the water baffels for it in the parts book for 72 demon and 73 dartsport? i still haven't been able to locate the article for this but i am still looking.....hope this helps shed some light.

While that is not "undeniable proof", because there probably have been parts listed that didn't actually make it into production models, it's a good start.
(The '71 Challenger T/A ad comes to mind but I don't know if that included actual parts.) There may have also been parts on production vehicles that weren't in the catalog. (i.e.: '71 spec 340's and/or parts in early '72 production models.)

I've been checking out later A-bodies for a long time and there would seem to be a lot of restored '72 Demons and '73 Dart Sports that would be "incorrect".

I also purchased a light blue hood with scoop, stripes, holes and grommets from an apparently unmolested 318 Dart Sport, which I still have.

So I'm not saying that a factory installed scoop could not have come without the holes. But everything I've seen, heard and learned makes for a comfortable umbrella over my "with holes" parade, even if the holes weren't in all of the scooped hoods ;) I'd put money on it. If we can only compile more info.
I had a dual scoop Demon hood from a demon. Under each was a hole maybe 3" with a rubber grommet. Said hood was original

-
Back