70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-
Next step.
Transmission build. looks clean so far, my wife wanted some ice cream so I went and got that and will get back at it in the morning.
The transmission is a 1978 400/440 heavy duty, long tail shaft / rear timing.
I'm interested to see all what is inside.
All my new parts I ordered from Andrews racing transmission a couple years ago and just got the rest.
I think I have about 3k in new parts... Hopefully I don't mess this up
IMG_20240510_190140017.jpg
IMG_20240510_192109120.jpg

Next step.
Transmission build. looks clean so far, my wife wanted some ice cream so I went and got that and will get back at it in the morning.
All my new parts I ordered from Andrews racing transmission a couple years ago and just got the rest.
I think I have about 3k in new parts... Hopefully I don't mess this upView attachment 1716248468View attachment 1716248469
I'm VERY interested in first test run of your build. So much similarities to my efforts.

I will certainly post any results from my 451 hit. I'm hoping for 9.90s. But I'm guessing 10.20s. I'm NEVER as fast as I hoped.

Next step.
I think I have about 3k in new parts... Hopefully I don't mess this upView attachment 1716248468View attachment 1716248469
I don’t know if you’ll get it together as fast as Chris (he lives down the road from me about 40 minutes), but you’ll get er dun!!!

I'm VERY interested in first test run of your build. So much similarities to my efforts.

I will certainly post any results from my 451 hit. I'm hoping for 9.90s. But I'm guessing 10.20s. I'm NEVER as fast as I hoped.
I think the only thing that will keep the car from going as fast as I want is it having a small cam for the purpose of the car.

Awesome brother I'm very happy for you.
The way I see it is that happened because of your choice to sacrifice the dart to do right by your son.
You are an outstanding man jarred
He likes the Barracuda too! We all went down together as a family to check it out. I appreciate you man, your words mean a lot to me.

Just going to keep this one stock/original with the exception of carb and headers. It got a 650 AVS2 and I’m picking up some Doug’s headers next weekend.

Thats my 2nd born, Layne, he is already Mopar or No Car and loves helping me work on stuff.

IMG_6869.png

IMG_6870.png

IMG_6873.png

IMG_6874.png

IMG_6974.jpeg

IMG_6975.jpeg

IMG_6976.jpeg

IMG_6979.jpeg

He likes the Barracuda too! We all went down together as a family to check it out. I appreciate you man, your words mean a lot to me.

Just going to keep this one stock/original with the exception of carb and headers. It got a 650 AVS2 and I’m picking up some Doug’s headers next weekend.

Thats my 2nd born, Layne, he is already Mopar or No Car and loves helping me work on stuff.

View attachment 1716248640

View attachment 1716248641

View attachment 1716248642

View attachment 1716248643

View attachment 1716248644

View attachment 1716248645

View attachment 1716248646

View attachment 1716248647
Man, that is a really nice car.
Better get Layne some stilts and a periscope lol.
He's ready

Last edited:
I got the transmission disassembly done.
Looks like the thing was rebuilt and never ran.
Good stuff, brand new steels and clutches, front and rear 4 pinion planetary
I talked to RJ @71Demon528 & he was very helpful. Also some texts with Chris.
You guys on fabo really are helpful.
Tomorrow I'll install my bolt in sprag and start assembly

Last edited:

What does your car weigh?

3040. Though Im doing some weight reduction. Should be able to get it down to around 2950.
That's not too bad for weight. I weighed my car and about 99% of my parts last weekend, everything I weighed got an extra 3 pounds, small parts I weighed in a group.
But I came up with 2960 ish pounds and all steel panels. There's probably 20+ pounds of Bondo in the car and a few more pounds I will get out by doing the window regulator removal and replacing the glass with lexan

That's not too bad for weight. I weighed my car and about 99% of my parts last weekend, everything I weighed got an extra 3 pounds, small parts I weighed in a group.
But I came up with 2960 ish pounds and all steel panels. There's probably 20+ pounds of Bondo in the car and a few more pounds I will get out by doing the window regulator removal and replacing the glass with lexan
It’s gonna rip tater chip!!!

I hope the stock front suspension stuff doesn't scare the crap out of me going over 100 mph lol
My stock suspension (with drag bars and 90/10 socks) was hitting 114, bias ply tires on front, but you’re not there very long…usually paying more attention to where the driver next to you is at to notice anything else. Good alignment and you should be fine :steering:

May be a little different if you’re planning to cruise those speeds sustained..?

My stock suspension (with drag bars and 90/10 socks) was hitting 114, bias ply tires on front, but you’re not there very long…usually paying more attention to where the driver next to you is at to notice anything else. Good alignment and you should be fine :steering:

May be a little different if you’re planning to cruise those speeds sustained..?
True, thanks!
The old Wallace says I might have an appointment with 140 mph but it doesn't know how small the camshaft is lol

I didn't get a hole lot of time today or yesterday.
I had a lot of house work. Figured out what all was broken from the winter in the irrigation system and fixed that. Cleaned up my huge mess from my dog run project, now I have room to finish that. Lots of mowing, lots of weeding, cleaning and took my wife out for dinner last night.
Well, for the transmission I was able to get the bolt in sprag installed & additional fluid feed hole, the rear drum and band, planetary's and sun shell, output shaft and new bearing.
I need to make a spring retainer snap ring installation tool tomorrow to use in my press and finish it up.
The sprag is a bastard to get the inner race in by the way, I kept knocking rollers out but then figured it out.
Overall pretty nice weekend

I installed the drums output shaft and front pump, front band and servos (those are a beeitch without transmission shop tools)
I should have made a mount so I could have dropped everything in from the bell standing up, I did it all with it laying on its side.
Tommorow after work I'll get the tail shaft on ,valve body & check end play then hopefully put a clean old pan on, final clean it and paint it .
IMG_20240513_201647294.jpg
IMG_20240513_201657956.jpg
IMG_20240513_201706032.jpg

I installed the drums output shaft and front pump, front band and servos (those are a beeitch without transmission shop tools)
I should have made a mount so I could have dropped everything in from the bell standing up, I did it all with it laying on its side.
Tommorow after work I'll get the tail shaft on ,valve body & check end play then hopefully put a clean old pan on, final clean it and paint it .View attachment 1716249632View attachment 1716249633View attachment 1716249634
Heck ya! I’ve always been scared by transmission re-builds, don’t know that I’ll ever get over it… :(

-
Back