70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-
I got my custom driveshaft yesterday.
47 inch long. It's 3 inch mild steel with Spicer weld ends and billet slip yoke. 1350 u joints.
I had a local racer/machinist do it for me.
I originally wanted to go with 3.5 or 4 inch.
He assured me 3 inch mild steel is plenty.
He has a trans brake big tire car that is heavier and has had his in his car for many seasons.
So I trust what he says. Very nice quality.
And it fits perfectly in between my welded in safety loops.
IMG_20240622_085857295_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240622_085910204_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240622_085920967_HDR.jpg

I got my custom driveshaft yesterday.
47 inch long. It's 3 inch mild steel with Spicer weld ends and billet slip yoke. 1350 u joints.
I had a local racer/machinist do it for me.
I originally wanted to go with 3.5 or 4 inch.
He assured me 3 inch mild steel is plenty.
He has a trans brake big tire car that is heavier and has had his in his car for many seasons.
So I trust what he says. Very nice quality.
And it fits perfectly in between my welded in safety loops.
View attachment 1716265932View attachment 1716265933View attachment 1716265934

He does nice work. I’m going 3.5 inch. Maybe 4. I wish he did aluminum because I would definitely do 4 inch if he did.

He does nice work. I’m going 3.5 inch. Maybe 4. I wish he did aluminum because I would definitely do 4 inch if he did.
He'll tell you the same thing, mark Williams has 3 inch rated at 1000 HP.
It is just preference but he's leaving at 5k off the trans brake with 3 inch, so 3 inch will be just fine for me foot braking.
I

Oh and by the way there's just one 5 gram weight and tiny tack welds.

3 months 8 days later I got a chance to get back out to the car.
I wasn't happy with how much tire clearance I had and last week I got a good idea from a posted photo by a very helpful member @71Demon528 thanks RJ.
So I took that idea and trimmed another 2 inches forward into the rockers.
I'm glad to have had time to get out there and work.
Yesterday I did some measurements and got a scare but it was false when the car got the tires on the ground.
IMG_20240929_120634634.jpg
IMG_20240929_125553857.jpg

Nothin like a little extra tire clearance in there for some insurance. And the tire you are running will work very well on that car. As you have seen, we are running that same tire on my dad's car and it works extremely well.

Nothin like a little extra tire clearance in there for some insurance. And the tire you are running will work very well on that car. As you have seen, we are running that same tire on my dad's car and it works extremely well.
Yeah, I'm glad I get to see it doing really good work

Well since I made a big open hole I took the opportunity to take more weight out of the car.
My scale batteries died right now lol .
If I had to guess, it's around 25-30 pounds
IMG_20240929_140332555_HDR.jpg

Well since I made a big open hole I took the opportunity to take more weight out of the car.
My scale batteries died right now lol .
If I had to guess, it's around 25-30 pounds View attachment 1716309469
Well done, doors hide a lot of weight. Dropping mine to tear them apart I slashed my palm pretty darn good when one got away from me. I have used my tranny jack under them ever since. I rigged it up so I can raise it with my foot if my hands are tied up.

Well done, doors hide a lot of weight. Dropping mine to tear them apart I slashed my palm pretty darn good when one got away from me. I have used my tranny jack under them ever since. I rigged it up so I can raise it with my foot if my hands are tied up.
Tranny Jack is a good idea.
I'm working on my doors right now, it's a little more difficult than the quality glass.
I think I'm going to cut out a strategic hole so I can easily get my wing window frames out.
Unless anyone can tell me where the hidden bolt is

Okay I have 1 tub 1/2 *** mocked up.
Needs more trimming and finished but the notch I made into the rocker box really helped like a 3rd hand.
IMG_20240929_171302005.jpg
IMG_20240929_171342734.jpg

Of course the new goal is first race of the season.
I need to get a converter and basically put it all together.

-
Back