70 Dart exhaust tips

-
1968-9 Dodge Dart or 1970-2 Duster 1970-1 Demon

so that would be all the a-bodies with no valance below the bumper. I think that Accurate actually has a closer rendition of that one where the round bullet part is not tapered and it is longer...

Bumping this back up instead of starting a new thread. I want to start ordering exhaust parts for my car when I make some changes in the Spring. I have a 1971 Dart and I want to order stock style tips but with a 2.5" size instead of the stock size. The tips I have on there now measure 14" and came from Accurate but are too small for what I have planned. Are these the ones I need to order?
EP9B-S, EP10B-S and EP500B-S-A-Body Stainless Tips 68-69 Bar

The ones from Accurate are not like the originals in that the square box is much shorter in comparison to the originals. The ones that you would want are like the ones only made for 1970 Dart Swinger 340s. The deal is this, from 68-69 and after 1973 the back of the car had a bumper that went all the way down (no valance panel below the bumper). They had tips that had a long round part and a short box that projected beyond the bumper. From 70-73 the bumper had a swept under valance panel like your 71. The box had to stick a lot farther from where it appeared from under the valance so that exhaust would not discolor and stain the painted valance and the rear bumper. There was a company that made these in stainless with whatever you wanted for inlet size. They were a small mom and pop outfit and when Accurate started offering tips they put them out of business, but Accurate NEVER has produced a tip that is like the 70 Dart tip, even though I gave them an original to use for a pattern and have bugged them for 10 years. I'll post a picture of an original tip and a 2 1/4 inlet tip installed in the next day or so if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

So here's some pics of an NOS 1970 Dart Swinger 340 tip. If you are looking for something that replicates the look the critical thing is that the box extend well beyond the bracket, which if installed with a factory type hanger (accurate has them) will be just before the edge of the valance. As you can see the box extends
about 5 inches beyond the face of the bracket. I'll try to get you some installed pics tomorrow.
DSC02786.JPG
DSC02787.JPG
DSC02788.JPG

I do have the factory hangers and see what you're saying. I also have the tips from Accurate now but they're the stock ones with their system. It looks to be less than a 2" opening with the tailpipes going into the tips. I want to run a 2.5" exhaust front to back. The thing is the tips don't extend out much now past the valance now but I like the way they look. Yes I do have to clean my valance periodically.

The original chrome tips fit INSIDE the tailpipe and had an I.D. of 1 5/8 - what engineer let that slide by??? Back in the day when nobody cared about originality we used to slip a 2 1/4 pipe over the original tips, mark it and then cut off the restrictive end of the original tip and then weld the larger pipe in place... wait , wait - was that the sound of Galen Glovier having a stroke???:lol:

My new tips for my 70 swinger were 1 7/8s they fit over the 1 7/8s end. These were right from Chrysler in 1977. We should of asked oldmanmopar to measure his new set. He sold it. Maybe the new buyer can do that for us. Kim

-
Back