70 Dart Fender Removal

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
Trying to get the fenders off the car in my sig pic so I can clean the cowl out and unplug the drain. I'm baffled right now with the fender. There is a bolt at the top part of the inside of the fender just in front of the door. How the hell do I get to it? I spent several hours yesterday fighting with the damn thing.:banghead:

I'm aware but the cowl drain is behind the fender. I already got the bolts you're talking about, I need to get the nut at the top inside of the fender just in front of the door.

to get the bolt on the inside door side of the fender out. With the door open, use a 12 inch extension and a swivel socket pretty easy from there. There might be one inside the fender well up high that attaches the skirt to the fender.

there is a hidden bolt you have to get from the inside of the wheel well. I'll take a picture, but there is a skirt which keep dirt and debris from going into the door if you look inside the fender well. If you look up you can see rubber triangle, where the skirt and fender come together, with a hole in the middle the bolt is located through that hole. If possible remove the inner skirt and all bolts visible and easily accessible including the fender bolt inside door frame.

Anything that fits will work.

yeah, not an extreme bend a swivel's fine.
Cool glad to know that guys.

there is a hidden bolt you have to get from the inside of the wheel well. I'll take a picture, but there is a skirt which keep dirt and debris from going into the door if you look inside the fender well. If you look up you can see rubber triangle, where the skirt and fender come together, with a hole in the middle the bolt is located through that hole. If possible remove the inner skirt and all bolts visible and easily accessible including the fender bolt inside door frame.
I've already found it, I saw it yesterday but didn't take it out because I couldn't tell if it was securing the fender or something else. Thanks for that piece of info.

The goal here is to clean my cowl out, there is like 2" deep potting soil quality compost from all the **** that has collected over the years.:banghead:

I'm gonna go out here and do the do now I suppose.

Fenders off and they're nice and the cowl is nice and clean! And that job did make me old!

So now for fender installation.

The area where the fender meets the inner fender, its a little rusty and has me nervous thinking about metal sandwhiched to metal. I was gonna come over the mating surfaces with a wire brush and then sand it down to nice virgin steel and then spray the mating surfaces with weldable primer (it's a great anti corrosive primer) but should I seal that seam some how? I was thinking caulk.

you talking about the top of the inner fender? if so, prep it well and get some primer/color on it.
Yes I am. I don't need to seal that after I prep it do I?

I was thinking, some body caulk or urethane would be a good idea but then I thought if I did that I would be sealing the humidity out from that area AS WELL AS inside that area.

-
Back