70 Fury LA Turbo

-

HP2

Reaction score
I just scored a 70 Fury 2dr HT 318 car! It has the usual rust and needs a LOT to be a show stopper, but that's not my goal, at least not now. I have two other projects I need to finish before summer so this baby will be driven unrestored, but - I wanna go turbo!
I have NO experience from turbos so I need advice. I wanna do this quick and on a tight budget. I can do all piping, tubing and welding myself.
I am thinking a single turbo with a blow through carb on top of a truck 360 I already have. Had the engine in my `Cuda for a summer and it runs well and burns no oil.
The goal is to get as much power a used 360 can take, but I want the power to kick in early so I can keep the original converter and go with 3.23 in this heavy rig. I'm not gonna build an engine for this, if it blows in pieces I will find another truck engine.
I have been reading lots of different turbo threads but I am still lost so I need advice.
- What size and brand of turbo should I buy?
- Where can I buy a "bolt on" carb?
- What about ignition, how should the curb look and will it like vacuum advance?
Thankful for any help!

Where did you source the short block? I ask because piston ring end gap can cause a problem with aftermarket Pistons or even stock Pistons if the rings are too tight. When boost is added, the ring ends may butt together and it will pop a chunk of the piston off. So be mindful and do research on whatever short block or piston you have.

You're going to get hundreds of different opinions in what turbo to get. Best thing to do is run your engine through an airflow chart and do all the calculations to find what turbo is best for you and your expectations. Or call around to many turbo companies and have them run it through their charts. There are just way too many combinations out there.

There are several bolt on blow through carbs out there. You can also make one from an old Holley fairly easy. Lots of walk thrus as well.

as for ignition, a rule of thumb is for every lb of boost you want to retard timing 1-3 degrees. 3 being safer. You can always add timing later to get more power when that carb is tuned and rich.

Lots and lots of research to do when building a turbo engine. It's better than blowing up a combo because you'll likely damage the turbine and waste gate as well, which doesn't make sense on a tight budget. An old timer once told me, "fill your library before your garage". With a turbo engine this is true, and saves a lot of future *** pain

-
Back