707 Hell Cat, what does it mean?

-
At 700+ hp, double digit mpg, And amenities, what are you going to find that is equivalent to the hellcat for $75 and vintage? It's an apple to oranges comparison. That much is obvious.

Pretty sure the hemi darts back in the day ran 10.80's as delivered, 1 second faster than the chevy stuff in the class. But lets face it, those cars are now running in the 8's... The hell cat, what ever that is, is way over due and sure to be out done before the seasons change...

One group knows cars. The other group does not. There are FEW exceptions.

So let me try to comprehend your comment here. Because said group did not "grow up" back when you could buy a 68 hemi dart from the factory, doesn't know cars??? Except for a "FEW" exceptions?? Are you serious? You might want to crawl out of the hole you live in and smell the roses man. Welcome to the 21st century. I know cars. And i know when I see a car that can be bought off of the showroom floor, that will absolutely embarass any other car thats ever been offered to the general public, I see history in the making. And it is a MOPAR to boot!! I have, and have had the over crammed and over carbureted hot rods, and hell yea they are fun! But this is a totally different animal. And should be respected as that. Just because you wouldn't spend the money on one, or can't, shouldn't matter. Just respect it for what it is.

Pretty sure the hemi darts back in the day ran 10.80's as delivered, 1 second faster than the chevy stuff in the class. But lets face it, those cars are now running in the 8's... The hell cat, what ever that is, is way over due and sure to be out done before the seasons change...

They were race cars! Not street cars! No comparison. At all.

I can't see todays cars being pulled out of fields and restored like our beloved 60's-70's cars.

Remember, people thought the 1st mustangs would always be worthless because they sold too many of them.

I can't to see what happens in 40 years.

So let me try to comprehend your comment here. Because said group did not "grow up" back when you could buy a 68 hemi dart from the factory, doesn't know cars??? Except for a "FEW" exceptions?? Are you serious? You might want to crawl out of the hole you live in and smell the roses man. Welcome to the 21st century. I know cars. And i know when I see a car that can be bought off of the showroom floor, that will absolutely embarass any other car thats ever been offered to the general public, I see history in the making. And it is a MOPAR to boot!! I have, and have had the over crammed and over carbureted hot rods, and hell yea they are fun! But this is a totally different animal. And should be respected as that. Just because you wouldn't spend the money on one, or can't, shouldn't matter. Just respect it for what it is.

Just ignore him. Its really not worth sorting through posts like that. Some people don't want to accept that hotrodding exists outside of a particular arbitrary box they've created.

The Drag Pack Challenger should be the only thing compared to the 68 Hemi Dart and Barracuda.Race car vs race car.As far as a street car goes the Hellcat is the most powerful American muscle car ever built.It's not the most powerful car ever made,but should hold it's own.It's impressive for what it is and the only newer car besides a Viper that I would consider actually buying.I like what it brings to the table,but can't see myself driving around several years from now searching back roads and barns for that elusive SRT.

I can't see todays cars being pulled out of fields and restored like our beloved 60's-70's cars.

i'm sure when new people never would have thought those 60's and 70's cars would be either.

IMO none of the cars today have any personality.

old cars didn't have it either when new. hell those 60's and 70's cars with 100 point restos have no personality either. so boring to look at in my opinion.. its takes time to get that. owners make them have personality as they do the mods that they want.

difference is the hellcat is a street car that does alot more then just go in a straight line. and weren't the hemi darts delivered with tiny tires on the rear not slicks? so in "as delivered" condition i doubt it was running 10's "as delivered". bottom line is you are trying to compare a stripped down drag car with a fully loaded street car that can take dip into the low 11's in "as delivered condition, take corners at more then 20 mph..lol, can sit in traffic all day and not over heat, stop way way faster and keep the driver safer and more comfortable then anything the big three built in the "good old days"...

i can not believe all the hate towards this challenger or any other modern car. the horsepower wars are back man. guys should be happy as hell about that. how many guys wished they could have lived though the original horsepower wars? tons, i read and hear people say it all the time. well like i said its back only with cars that would run circles around that old junk that was a rusty mess in 5 years. heres your chance to live what you only read and heard stories about... seriously how can't you be impressed with these cars? they do everything and do it well. i just can't believe how closed minded some guys in this hobby are. its nuts.

i can not believe all the hate towards this challenger or any other modern car. the horsepower wars are back man. guys should be happy as hell about that. how many guys wished they could have lived though the original horsepower wars? tons, i read and hear people say it all the time. well like i said its back only with cars that would run circles around that old junk that was a rusty mess in 5 years. heres your chance to live what you only read and heard stories about... seriously how can't you be impressed with these cars? they do everything and do it well. i just can't believe how closed minded some guys in this hobby are. its nuts.

Pretty well said !

I don't think anyone here actually "hates" the modern super cars and technology. The point is they aren't HOBBY cars. The thousands of build threads on this site define the hobby and what it is all about and many are younger guys who never lived American Graffiti. Things are changing these days to "if it's yours and you love it, bring it on out". If it happens to be a new Challenger, Camaro, Mustang, Corvette etc. etc. that's great and that's fine. But what impact on the fun, enjoyment, foundation and rewards of this hobby? None. :burnout:

The thousands of build threads on this site define the hobby and what it is all about

hell i'm too young (45) to have lived american grafiti or even the original horse power wars..

this is an abody site so of course you won't see new challenger builds. go to the lx forums or chally talk. the modern cars are just as much a hobby car as our old junk. hell i don't even like the new fiats and the closed minded guys here have me defending them..lol

But what impact on the fun, enjoyment, foundation and rewards of this hobby? None.

not sure what you are saying here. you saying the modern cars have no impact on the hobby? thats plain wrong. the cars out now influence the youth of today. like the kids that were too young to buy muscle in the 60's and 70's. when they grow up they will want that awesome car they remember from their youth... you saying there is no fun taking say a new r/t challenger that may dip into the 13's all stock and getting it to run in the 11's or 12's? or modifying that modern muscle to get faster and faster in an autocross setting?? thats totally wrong also. foundation??? what's that supposed to mean? these new cars are building the foundation for the next few generations of enthusiasts. and rewards?? you get the same rewards personalizing a modern muscle car as you do a classic rust bucket..:)

hell i'm too young (45) to have lived american grafiti or even the original horse power wars..

this is an abody site so of course you won't see new challenger builds. go to the lx forums or chally talk. the modern cars are just as much a hobby car as our old junk. hell i don't even like the new fiats and the closed minded guys here have me defending them..lol

stop and think, what happens when you put a super charger on a 426 hemi. much as I`d like to have a new challenger, ain`t no way it would keep up w/ a supercharged 426 !
blowers-nitrous-turbo`s will make anything run, like giving a racehorse drugs.

We are all very passionate about our kind of cars. I hang out at Challengertalk and those folks are as or more passionate as we are. I used to look down my nose at our car loving brothers from south of our border with their hydraulics, small wheels and wild paint jobs. Although not my taste in car customizing, these guys are seriously into the hobby like we are. Same with the tuner crowd. Those guys cane get a lot of power out of a small cube 4 cylinder and as more of us transplant late model engines in our old hot rods, we are using their computer tuning savvy to make are hotrods run. Keep a open mind. We are all in it for a common goal.........we love cars! tmm

We are all very passionate about our kind of cars. I hang out at Challengertalk and those folks are as or more passionate as we are. I used to look down my nose at our car loving brothers from south of our border with their hydraulics, small wheels and wild paint jobs. Although not my taste in car customizing, these guys are seriously into the hobby like we are. Same with the tuner crowd. Those guys cane get a lot of power out of a small cube 4 cylinder and as more of us transplant late model engines in our old hot rods, we are using their computer tuning savvy to make are hotrods run. Keep a open mind. We are all in it for a common goal.........we love cars! tmm

bingo.... someone who gets it...

Well, aside from the name fail (meow), it may be that putting a supercharger on a production (?) car is cutting edge and ground breaking.
At least we know that is what Chrysler does, historically speaking. Feels good, yes?
Is there something else exceptional about the car besides mods to the engine?
Kudos and that being said, I think the OP was about what it MEANS to the 60-70 “muscle cars’ ” value.
Immediately, I THINK it won’t hurt.
It may, in fact, help by generating interest in cars in general.
As I previously said most people won’t be driving a Hepcat.
But many will still appreciate the classics. Maybe even more.
Long term (past us old guys lifetime), no one can predict the future that well.
It may not exist at all the way things are going.
Personally I think the classic will have a following. But only the high end, collectable ones. Museum pieces.
Finding a Hellwhatever in the field in 40 years and hauling it out? He may have to use his nuclear powered car.
Is he going to restore it or mod it? If mod, why not pick a better (different) body style?

[ame]http://youtu.be/3HYoq6vIVXc[/ame]

stop and think, what happens when you put a super charger on a 426 hemi. much as I`d like to have a new challenger, ain`t no way it would keep up w/ a supercharged 426 ! blowers-nitrous-turbo`s will make anything run, like giving a racehorse drugs.
you get a supercharged 426 that still can't corner...

I think the OP was about what it MEANS to the 60-70 “muscle cars’ ” value.
Immediately, I THINK it won’t hurt.

it will put more people into new challengers. i see tons of people on various mopar sites selling their old cars now and buying new challengers in the mopar world. the hellcat may get even more people into the dealership to check it out. sure they all won't buy a hellcat but maybe while in there they really like a more affordable r/t or srt.

Is there something else exceptional about the car besides mods to the engine?

i believe the 2015 challenger has all new updated suspension. i'm sure with 700hp that they also upgraded quite a bit of stuff to handle it.

So, have the early Muscle cars become the flathead ford?

No.

These past couple of generations of Vettes are hands down superior in ride, handling, power, amenities to the first few generations, yet guys are still doing high dollar builds and spending high dollar amounts for what came before for about the same money as it take to buy a new one (or more).

For the most part the Hellcat won't affect those of us building on a budget. It won't affect the prices of high dollar cars swapping hands. Guys like Tim Wellborn will still be dropping large amounts of money on his collection. And guys building on a budget are doing so for a reason.

it will put more people into new challengers. i see tons of people on various mopar sites selling their old cars now and buying new challengers in the mopar world. the hellcat may get even more people into the dealership to check it out. sure they all won't buy a hellcat but maybe while in there they really like a more affordable r/t or srt.

i believe the 2015 challenger has all new updated suspension. i'm sure with 700hp that they also upgraded quite a bit of stuff to handle it.

Many of us have a modern daily driver that is easily capable of exeeding twice the speed limit with much less than 707 HP and has the suspension and brakes to handle 120+ and corner. Anytime I want to risk a $10,000 fine, a stunt driving charge, vehicle impoundment and future insurance rates in the stratosphere! This in serene comfort with the A/C blowing cold and the tunes on. My buddie's Mopar 10 isn't much fun at 70 mph. He's completely bored with it. If one is planning to race their new high tech car I get it. But how many will? Where you gonna really drive it? It is the same ego thing as the very capable, never used 4X4's that don't ever leave the pavement.

Many of us have a modern daily driver that is easily capable of exeeding twice the speed limit with much less than 707 HP and has the suspension and brakes to handle 120+ and corner. Anytime I want to risk a $10,000 fine, a stunt driving charge, vehicle impoundment and future insurance rates in the stratosphere!

oh brother.. back to that stupid arguement now.. may as well kee slant 6 motors in all of our cars. wht even have a 318 with that way of thinking. i really know you wouldn't want to risk having a 440 or even a 426 hemi in a car. oooooohh no. too easy to speed and get tickets..

come on man. come up with something better then that stupid argument.

I tell you what the Hellcat means to me already. With the bajillion threads on it around here already, it means a bunch of nauseating bullshit. By the time the car gets here, I am gonna be sick to death of readin about it. Why don't yall make a Hellcat thread and put all the threads in one?

I tell you what the Hellcat means to mean already. With the bajillion threads on it around here already, it means a bunch of nauseating bullshit. By the time the car gets here, I am gonna be sick to death of readin about it. Why don't yall make a Hellcat thread and put all the threads in one?

X2 I'm out

-
Back