71 dart

-
My score on the front suspension wasnt as good as I thought. One of the upper control arms is bent. I am in luck though because the corvette show is at carlisle this weekend so I will be heading there to get a new one.

Just to give an update. I didnt find any reasonably priced control arms at carlisle but did get one on ebay. The 2x4 box tubing is sitting in my garage and I plan on starting my frame tomorrow. I have been making progress but not directly on the car. I got a band saw and a drill press at a local sale and had to repair them to start the frame. The band saw was for wood so I had to make a jack shaft to slow it down and the motor was bad on the drill press. It should be all systems go tomorrow.

I spent the past 2 weekends drawing up the frame and I think I have it all worked out. I cannot run the 400 I was planning unless I dont want spark plugs. The upper control arms would be too close to the block for them to fit. So I am going to have a small block. The engine will be set back about 10inches and I will have to get a midmount shifter for the trans. I need to narrow the front suspension 6" so I will need a custom steering rack. The guy who is narrowing my rear said he would have it done this weekend when I get it I will double check that my measurements for the rear rails are right and can start cutting and welding.

I think it's awesome you are building the vette suspension into your plans...car is gonna be way unique. Setting that engine back 10"......what are your plans for the firewall and cowl??

I think it's awesome you are building the vette suspension into your plans...car is gonna be way unique. Setting that engine back 10"......what are your plans for the firewall and cowl??

The plan right now is for the firewall to basically have a big tunnel down the center of it. The big issue is the distributor I may need to make an access to get to it from the inside of the car. The other issue is the height of the carb it will hard to get an air cleaner on it. I have been looking at programable ignition and fuel injection or maybe a new hemi. I will figure that out when i am at that point I know there is enough room to make it fit.

I have not made much progress lately due to cars giving me the finger. Three weeks ago a friend of mine blew up the trans in his car so on that saturday he drove his other car over and we pulled out the trans. When he went to leave his other car would not start. That same day my parents came over for dinner and when they went to leave there car wouldnt start! The next day my grandparents car shutoff while they were driving and there car was towed to my house. On top of all that I was in the process of puting a new motor in my Dads suburban and new trunk pans, floorpans, spare tirewell and sub frame connectors in my cousins Dart sport. I thought it would never end. here is alist of repairs.
Friends car- Loose connection at the distributer
Parents car-crank sensor
Grandparents car-Broken cam that ruined head
Cousins dart-spare tire well fixed floorpans out and putting in new ones tomorrow
Dads sub-on hold
MY CAR-ON HOLD

I do have some good news. Quick Time has posted that they will have mopar small block to t56 bellhousings the first of the year. Look halfway down the page.
http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html

Finally made some progress on my car last weekend. I started my front frame rails.
Smile Shaver your famous.
7xwytxf.jpg

The frame rails is at ride height and close to where it will be in the car. The car will come down about 11".
85nacf8.jpg

Finally making some progress. I have been working on the car and didnt have time to post picks.
Look what my wife got me for christmas. I told her I would keep her another year.
7wizlas.jpg

reinforced body to remove floor may have went overkill
850u1s4.jpg

floor gone
6jxji8w.jpg

front frame is tacked together
8fxiwzn.jpg

engine mockup with frame in position a big block will fit
8bnzxp3.jpg

Progress has been slow but I have a couple updates and some new parts.

bellhousing to go from big block mopar to t56
33ab2o3.jpg

rear housing is narrowed
243hh5z.jpg

detroit trutrac and rear rebuild kit
2mwdyr8.jpg

2cxglyw.jpg

my helper
w8kyzo.jpg

Looking good, Good wife you have there too.

Will be good to see the finished results, love the pro touring look and ideals

This is one build I'll definitely watch with interest.
Great stuff

Finally I have time to post an update.

I got the driveline mocked together and mocked into the frame
2rq0yh2.jpg

the boards are seats for test rides
2rdhjdz.jpg

the rear frame is finished and attached to the front
abt1k7.jpg

30c4umd.jpg

2qbsmeu.jpg

2mhfl1z.jpg

I also started to mount the front control arms
ei5kyr.jpg

2rp2vwx.jpg

Made some more progress

corvette hubs drilled for 5x4.5 bolt pattern
161yoh1.jpg

upper control arm mounts
2njc2o0.jpg

front suspension tacked to frame
2801634.jpg

33z4uaa.jpg

Rear and rear wheels sitting in place
14tc36d.jpg

frame under car with car at ridehight
2nims0z.jpg

epj5hy.jpg

a1spee.jpg

2qast5j.jpg

Not knocking you,differnt strokes for folks,but why are there so many people here putting gm parts on there mopar,A mopar will handle like a road racer look at the green brick it eats vettes with torsion bars,

What's you ride height gonna be set at?? Oil pan to ground clearance??

Should be way cool when the drivetrain is mocked up in the chassis=P~

-
Back