'71 Demon Pro Street/Touring

-
Ya, no wonder they didn't seem that concerned when they said they forgot to add it to my bill,,,and only added another $1000 to it. Here I thought I was getting a deal (not really,,,add sarcasm).

$1500 sounds about right for some of the house brands of paints, but if you plan on going with PPG, Dupont, Sherwin Williams, or especially Glasrut, plan on spending considerably more. I estimate that I have approx. $2500 in materials alone for body work & paint on my car.

mine's estimated at $2000.00 for middle of the road paint and top shelf primer and clear...

There is a trick I know and I've seen it done.

You can clear acrylic laquer with base/clear systems clear coat.

The reason for doing this is because the base clear system enjoys the highest u.v protection due to something called crosslinking. Basically the base/clear system has the best uv protection as it' has the strongest crosslinking.

You wont see many guys do this,as the clear will lay down initially with tons of orange peel. As time passes the orange peel effect will fade off and the clear will become more glass like. There will be some wet sanding involved to get a show finish.So basically you can cheap out on the color coat as long as you use really good clear over top. This will help in reducing the cost of your paint job,while still giving excellent longevity.

I learned this from an old school painter who knew tons of tricks like this.

Another good trick to speed up curing on a cold day is to preheat the paint on a hot plate before spraying. I've used this trick to cure paint in the dead of winter,no bake booth. It even works on aeresol cans,but it's better to put them in some hot water for 1/2 hour or so. Dont get em too hot or they'll blow up. Dont go hotter than 50 celcius..

WOW !!!
Simply beautiful.
Maybe some day mine will look that good.

Attachments

• poster7579866 (Small).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,279
I know the painter used Dupont.

Then you got great paint. Rest easy,knowing the painter used "the good stuff". There are other brands just as good,but I've worked with dupont myself and liked it very much.

Myself ,I'll have to use tcp globals "generic" brand and hope for the best. At least by choosing acrylic laquer,it should give me the least problems as almost all acrylic laquer is easy to work with and extremely forgiving.

Rod,
excellent job with the restoration documentation of this car, looks great and I love the color. Maybe Ill see yah at Castrol Raceway when youre done.

Darin

Rod,
excellent job with the restoration documentation of this car, looks great and I love the color. Maybe Ill see yah at Castrol Raceway when youre done.

Darin

Thanks Darin & others for your props. I hope to make to Castrol for a couple pulls, but no cage = letting off after the 1/8th to not get kicked off. Hopefully track folks don't pay close attention to that. Maybe run all out on last pass :evil2:

Then you got great paint. Rest easy,knowing the painter used "the good stuff". There are other brands just as good,but I've worked with dupont myself and liked it very much.

Myself ,I'll have to use tcp globals "generic" brand and hope for the best. At least by choosing acrylic laquer,it should give me the least problems as almost all acrylic laquer is easy to work with and extremely forgiving.

Great to know,,,thank!!

Tech is pretty slack on Friday night street legals, I havent hooked up a neutral switch and they havent said anything, BTW my wife is from Red Deer and so is her family :)

Darin

Just a little update, had a couple days off work and did a couple small things. Christmas shopping and family time kept me from getting much done. I did get a bunch of parts sand blasted, and cleaned up a few other parts.

Battery hold down tray from ebay:
img00415201111232230.jpg

Hood pins installed: Lines are from photo, not on the car
img00413201111232207.jpg

Door Mirrors on, passenger side too even though never came with:
img00418201111232231.jpg

I'm hoping for a couple weeks off in December to get some serious things started like wiring, brakes and interior.

I think a lot of us are hoping you get a few weeks off in December to work on the car......... thing of beauty she is :happy1:

Joey's does high end work,not cheap in any way. Do they have a Joey's in Red deer or was that shot in Edmonton.

Very nice car. I have a good friend who has a 72 Prostreet Demon same color sceme.

Rodzilla, i was meaning to ask you about your 416 stroker how's at coming along.

Rodzilla, i was meaning to ask you about your 416 stroker how's at coming along.

Machine shop called yesterday after their initial once over on my block, mag & sonic test and checking lifter bores, I got some great news so far. Its a solid foundation to start, and he said its one of the thickest walled stock 340 blocks he has ever seen, and he's been at this for 30 yrs. Even lifter bores have excellent tolerences, but I plan to sleeve them anyways for strength and oil control. This is a '73 340 incase I hadn't mentioned it before. Rest of the block is to be bored/honed +.030 over, and new billet main caps are to be line bored/honed with girdle. Rotating assembly to be balanced. Other details to be taken care of too. Hoping to have my stuff back by Christmas, but doubt that will happen.
I have a set of Indy 360-2 heads w/ 2.10 Intake and 1.65 Exhaust coming from another member. Heads are new, chambers opened to 68cc to give me a total static compression of 11:1. Indy intake coming as well.
I have everything else I need to build the motor, minus the gasket kit & head gaskets.
I plan to take my engine back to AMS to Dyno after I get it together.

I did decide to take the rest of December off from work, so I plan to get lots done on the car. At least as much as I can as parts arrive.

I like what I'm see'n so far....have at it this month

BTW...you Canadian fellers really build some fine Mopars...

Mopar to ya' (eh?)
Denny

Thanks Denny. Being that I didn't disassemble my car and nothing was marked as to where it goes, has made for an extra challenge so far. Right now I'm mocking up dash assembly, brake pedal, flex-a-lite heater core, wiper assembly and gauges. Plus messing with glove box etc. Then pull it all apart and paint some stuff before final assembly. I will post some more pics soon.

-
Back