71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
LOL, he just didn't want anything to do with the slant, he's waiting for the real power. You and the family have a great Christmas Tony and we'll be here for the next installment :D.

looks like a great car. You seem to be movin right along, i wish i had that kind of know how.. i have to go back 20 steps to take 5 forward :) guess thats how it goes when your learning :)

looks like a great car. You seem to be movin right along, i wish i had that kind of know how.. i have to go back 20 steps to take 5 forward :) guess thats how it goes when your learning :)

come on over.....will teach...LOL

Spent the morning scrubbing the engine bay and used pressure washer to blast years of crud away.

Began removing front end parts from car...everything was worn really bad, the LCA came off without taking off the pivots...you could move the idler arm up and down about an inch...bushing on K member shot..One of the tie rod sleeves was bent.

anyway...going to drop the old /6 k member tomorrow...and doing some more cleaning before and putting new bushing in the lower control arms...got lower ball joints on the way..and just ordered new tie rod sleeves.

Should have the front end all back together by the middle of next week...and engine bay painted...then i will move on to the rear...wont put the engine in until everything is done....wiring and all...got universal wiring harness in the mail too...

and going to do a little cutting and welding on V8 K member ..

Wednesday...

Got the old K member off the Duster, cleaned and painted the engine bay..yeah..black...

but it looks a lot cleaner and better then the gold with a bluish/green car...got a little more painting tomorrow...going to paint the part just below the cowling...

got the another set of UCA on the car with new bushing and upper ball joints, got the lower bushing back in the LCA.....will cut and reweld V8 k member in morning and get it installed in the car tomorrow..and lower control arms...KH brakes....the lower ball joints will be here tomorrow but not late in the afternoon...and still waiting on the tie rod sleeves...

going to get line lock solenoid mounted..and get that thing plumbed.

and a pile of worn out parts...LOL......and the /6 was gone today...sold.

Attachments

• IMG_0651.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,165
  • IMG_0652.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,141
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,167
Currently the plan is to use a 4.30 gear unless a 4.56 fall out of the sky...and converter is a 10 inch that is suppose to flash to 4200...

I have a set of 9 x 29.5 ....but would rather run 9 x 28 with the 4.30 gear...

also do not want to get into mini tubbing or moving spring in at this time...should be starting on the rear end next late next week..

side note...dont know the kid who owned this car.....but...both bolts that hold the trans to the cross member were gone..i see 2 of the 4 bolts on the master cylinder...plus the manual brake pushrod will fall out if you lift up on the brake pedal...missing like rubber thing,,,,the front tires look new until you look at the inside thread...down to cord due to the worn out front end...

Nice Nova... :)

Let me look through my stuff. I may have some 4.56 gears if you are game to install them.

I'd be putting a brake pedal stop in the car, just so the rod doesn't fall out anyway.

Worked on the "Nova"...got the k member cut and welded...put the K member back in the car...got LCA mounted..and hung the spindle with the brakes on them...waiting on lower ball joints and tie rod sleeve to finish front end.

well..ball joints were in the mail box...ok..

got the line lock solenoid mounted and plumbed...

Weekend..i get the weekend off....bye

Let me know if you make it to the track before MATS, I'll try to make it out too. If you need one of those "Rubber" things for the brake pushrod, I got a jar of the somewhere.

Should of put a huge shot of nitrous on that slant to see how much it took to scatter it ha! Probably be suprised what those suckers can handle

Let me know if you make it to the track before MATS, I'll try to make it out too. If you need one of those "Rubber" things for the brake pushrod, I got a jar of the somewhere.

Good to have a jar full of Rubber things in Vegas....

LVMS has not released a schedule...yes..we will try to get out there before MATS...I hope...

but then again...I got plane tickets and condo in Maui from Feb 2 to Feb 15.....

Good to have a jar full of Rubber things in Vegas....

LVMS has not released a schedule...yes..we will try to get out there before MATS...I hope...

but then again...I got plane tickets and condo in Maui from Feb 2 to Feb 15.....

Maui is a nice place to hang out :glasses7: Well the event is towards the end of March so you got time!

The lower ball joints showed up last night, ran over and installed them this morning and got the everything connected,,,these hubs already had long wheel studs as these KH brakes and UCA cam off the 71 Dart that got upgraded

The K member was cut for pan clearance and boxed welded with 1/8 plate.

Tie rod sleeves wont be here until Wednesday...along with Fuel Cell and fuel filter..,,,

heading for the rear of the car next week...

Attachments

• IMG_0656.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,220
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,121
Yeah...I got bored sitting around the house doing nothing...lol..

Need to install the steering box..forgot it ...and on Monday going to drop gas tank, start removing the rear...and dig out the rear end...springs..shocks..u bolts.. shock plates..

Nice work on the K frame Tony.Boxing it makes it easier for engine install with a Milidon pan.

you must know that routine too...LOL

Actually, on Tonya's 71 Dart, went i installed the CSI Super Shield I could not get the motor and trans back in,,,the shield hits the firewall before the pan would drop into the K member...and that engine has a Moroso deep pan...so I cut and boxed that one on the car....alot easier off the car...LOL

Monday

Spend the day removing stuff....fuel tank and spare tire well ....rear end and leaf springs along with AIR shocks...also removed the stock gas line.

My stock eliminator friend (Earl) who lives around the corner stopped to BS for awhile also.

Should have the rear end and SS spring back in the car next week...just might need to get some new bushing for the shackles...

the fuel cell..and filter will be here on wednesday, so i will be to reconstruct the trunk to hold the tank and make some battery mounts too....

probably remove the interior soon also...wiring harness arrived in mail today,,,so under the dash we go......

fun fun fun..until your daddy takes your T bird away...

Attachments

• IMG_0657.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_0659.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,093
  • IMG_0660.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,070
Wednesday...

Drug out the 8 3/4 from the shed...pulled the old 5 x 4 axles and backing plates off it..

scrubbed and painted the housing......now it matches the engine bay...

hung the SS spring with the front mounts only,,,,rolled the housing on the springs...found out that my u bolts were too short...longer ones on the way...

Should have the rear wrapped up by next week.....gotta give Doctor Diff a call tomorrow....and get the axles on their way.

sorry no pictures today...forgot....i know everyone is going to cry...

Looking great Tony. I'm in the process of cutting out a trunk myself. Is you stock eliminator buddy Earl Blake? If so then he has ordered some parts from me in the past.

Looking great Tony. I'm in the process of cutting out a trunk myself. Is you stock eliminator buddy Earl Blake? If so then he has ordered some parts from me in the past.

Yes..Same Earl.....He has to remove the adjustable strut rods from the car...NHRA says they are not legal...

-
Back