71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Distributor is locked out and ready to go back in...i need to move the intermediate shaft a grove or two over to keep rotor in stock position....

and put the plugs back in....hook up a set of wires and we are ready to give it another shot

moved the intermeidate shaft a little to get the rotor pointed where I wanted it....just need to plug in the distributor to the msd 6...and put a new coil wire on it.....

hopefully get it fired back up tomorrow...

Got a Wideband that has been sitting on the work bench for weeks now....want to get it in the car for this weekend

Last edited:
Got the engine fired back up this afternoon....106 in garage....

got timing set ....and it does not move,,,,,running 34 degrees....

moving on to wideband tomorrow....going to weld on bung on to TTi headers....run the wiring in ......need 2 1/16 gauge pod.....had to order it out of summit...hopefully be here tomorrow....

Got the wideband installed and working....but....but..

Dont feel like going to the TnT tonight....So we race another day.....

Going to put Duster back in Trailer .........Move on to other things.

checked valves one more time....got msd starter saver installed......fired up ...backed out of garage drove it into trailer and locked the door....

moving on .....Next?

After looking in the trailer after a couple of months....Right slick is flat....thought I fixed that tire....need to get alternator belt back on....clean the car...carb...and what ever...the belts are good to 2022......tomorrow....

another wash the car...then is starts raining.....this is the desert....dam....
Anyway...got the all the tires filled up with air....turned on fuel pump and dam swivel fitting at the carb inlet is pissing fuel.....take it off replace the fitting....no leaks...

Going to adjust valves.....got valve covers off.....waiting for it to cool off...should not take long ....50 degrees out...and the wind is blowing....lol...

taking a break...got a late start cause of dentist appt...

I go adjust the valve....this one has Hughes aluminum rockers....MP 590 cam....they are were i set them last year...good to go.....check fuel level in tank....pretty low...dump 5 gallons of last years e85....it is at least above the filler in the tank...

I notice something the fing left slick is flat...hook up at hose....goes flat in a minute or two....crappo.....take tire and wheel off ....pull tube out of it...that old HF beat buster.....have to go to autozone to get new patches as mine as so old they wont stick...lol

ok...new patches work...put tube back in slick....get tire and wheel screws back together...I quit.....

yes...Tonya and I will be there in the afternoon....

Christin will be out on Saturday

Lousy Day at the Test n Tune......

71 Duster launches like a turd...11.08 at 118 in very good vegas air.....ran 10,71 124 last July with DA at 5300....so something is not correct....and it had a lousy 60 ft time then...and today too...
We checked timing...replaced an old set of plug wires....it picked up...LOL.....10.99 @ 119....

We think the Converter has gone south......
This is an old TA 4200 series converter....have had it about 10 yrs....
Got a new TA 8 inch converter....sitting in box...
Will do check out engine ...compression and all to make sure it is good...

I think this is the easy one to fix...

No Racing today...they had a booked in Import race....we had to clear out of the pits Saturday by 8 pm

Lousy Day at the Test n Tune......

71 Duster launches like a turd...11.08 at 118 in very good vegas air.....ran 10,71 124 last July with DA at 5300....so something is not correct....and it had a lousy 60 ft time then...and today too...
We checked timing...replaced an old set of plug wires....it picked up...LOL.....10.99 @ 119....

We think the Converter has gone south......
This is an old TA 4200 series converter....have had it about 10 yrs....
Got a new TA 8 inch converter....sitting in box...
Will do check out engine ...compression and all to make sure it is good...

I think this is the easy one to fix...

I am sorry it didn't perform to what you wanted but... I think that's an awesome time! Good job Tony! Plus after a year long of stupid people keeping you off the track you got to go out and hava little fun!

Hopefully I will get this one out of the trailer and into the garage....going to do some engine checks...compression ..plugs...valve lash again....and if everything is ok.....the converter is going to get swapped out...
Timing was checked at the track...

Well...i knocked that last 4 pistons in the 340 6 pac block today....put the camshaft in ....but going to order a new timing chain.....and oil pump for it...

Did some diagnostics on this motor this afternoon......First thing took all the plugs out......then ran a compression test...and checked the valve lash....

Pretty much found out what i believe the problem is/was in the 1st few minutes...NO 5 plug gap was closed...not firing.....Compression were all dead on....and valve lash again...where they was suppose to be....

Figuring this 408 with Ported Eddy heads from IMM with 11 to 1 compression...and eddy victor...MP590 cam,,,,looking at everyone posted dyon hp on Facebook...should probably make 650 hp...LOL
So being realistic ....I say 500 hp....so we were down one cylinder...just over 60 hp.....so launching like a turd would be expected.... Going to put the valve covers back on tomorrow ...check the oxygen senor....and back in the trailer...

Did some diagnostics on this motor this afternoon......First thing took all the plugs out......then ran a compression test...and checked the valve lash....

Pretty much found out what i believe the problem is/was in the 1st few minutes...NO 5 plug gap was closed...not firing.....Compression were all dead on....and valve lash again...where they was suppose to be....

Figuring this 408 with Ported Eddy heads from IMM with 11 to 1 compression...and eddy victor...MP590 cam,,,,looking at everyone posted dyon hp on Facebook...should probably make 650 hp...LOL
So being realistic ....I say 500 hp....so we were down one cylinder...just over 60 hp.....so launching like a turd would be expected.... Going to put the valve covers back on tomorrow ...check the oxygen senor....and back in the trailer...

I'd kill for 500, and give up my wife for 650... :poke::steering::lol:

Duster was washed today.....tied down and cover up..,,,,it will run on Saturdaty....Driver works 2 hours out of town so she can not get to TnT

Duster was washed today.....tied down and cover up..,,,,it will run on Saturdaty....Driver works 2 hours out of town so she can not get to TnT

If you need a driver for TnT I might know someone who would be willing to help... don't expect anything crazy fast though, maybe like 20 second 1/8th mile... :welcome:

Went things get back to normal...lol.....we will let you make a couple of passes in the 75 Duster on a TnT night....

-
Back