71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Getting back to work on this..

Got everything under the car done....just need to get headers on...and a few more little things......

Could have it running tomorrow
but I gotta start of my taxes ....lol.....

got the passenger side header done...driver side has all the bolts started but not tighten....gotta make sure everything underneath is good to go....one small problem....the pitman arm is screwed up.....summit shipping one today

should have it all done tomorrow and surely running on Friday.....need to get it back in the trailer this weekend.

It is ready to start......sat now to open up the box on the new timing light ...phone rang ...GF was calling....she never calls me...LOL

Car was dead at grocery store across down by the school where she works...oh boy ....Her chevy was dead.....had to go jump it...

Runs......breaking in cam.....had to let oil burn off the headers before video.......timing set at 34 degrees with new timing light....Bingo....
Will double check rockers in morning plus double check timing.....I am waiting on a Pitman Arm.....wont be here until Tuesday then it get washed and out to trailer...

Runs......breaking in cam.....had to let oil burn off the headers before video.......timing set at 34 degrees with new timing light....Bingo....
Will double check rockers in morning plus double check timing.....I am waiting on a Pitman Arm.....wont be here until Tuesday then it get washed and out to trailer...

Goodluck on your next trip out

pulled valve covers.....everything looks great......fired up and let it run for a few minutes.....double checked timing dead on 34....

changing oil......

now going to tear other short block apart......figure out what needs to be done to get it back running...

34 degrees seems to be the advance on a sbm.i had a t/a head engine on the dyno.it picked up 12 hp going from 38 to 34. Hope you have a easy fix on the other motor.

me and that short block have never gotten along.....i bought it....assembled...

probably going to have block line honed....and crank turned or replace crank...

Ok......duster going racing Saturday night....has new 408 .....

I believe the other short block would have been better....but...that is life...

Got 11.2 to 1 compression...MP590 cam with all the lobes working....got 1.6 rockers on both intake and exhaust...Heads are Eddy ported by IMM with 2.055 intake...Victor intake...QFT 950 on E85.

Temp forecast in 100-106......so we are not going to set low et .....lol

The UV index at night is still above 5. LOL

Stay cool my friend! Have some fun and hope all goes well.

Well,,,from what i could see nothing broke.

The results of the 1st race were not as good as expected but.....looks like nothing is broke.
The car would not 60 ft.....off about .08....and either down on power or fuel or ignition problem popped up......had a 1.508 60 ft....that is terrible for that car...
1st pass was 10,87 @ 122+.......checked the carb to make sure it was fulling opening.....check timing and what i saw was weird.....y
looking at timing mark....hit gas pedal and it would retard then jump back.....distributor rotor was loose on top of the distributor.....replaced it...
2nd pass 10.84 @ 122+......well...that was probably not the easy answer...

Listening to it...i dont hear anything usual in the valve train...put hand on valve covers...did not feel anything...
Noticed one thing....fuel pressure gauge is showing 3 psi....even with the pump is off...it is one of those autometer gauge with the isolator.....wondering if it is getting false reading as the pump sounds ok.....

We have been using a 4 inch air cleaner on the car for years...with the k&n style cleaner...washed it a couple of times....so decided to remove it...

The car did pickup....Ran 10.71 @ 123.....unfortunately that was in the 1st round with a 10.84 on the window..

I was looking for something around 10.50s even in the heat.....maybe i was expecting too much....

Dont see any more races schedule at this time...there was on August 8, looks like they cancelled it.

So we will do some basic engine check out....rockers...compression test.....check out the fuel pressure and pump and take a look at the distributor....

The 904s are working great...lol

Need to pull plugs.....I have a wideband I need to get hooked up....

Looks like i have a plenty of time

Well,,,from what i could see nothing broke.

The results of the 1st race were not as good as expected but.....looks like nothing is broke.
The car would not 60 ft.....off about .08....and either down on power or fuel or ignition problem popped up......had a 1.508 60 ft....that is terrible for that car...
1st pass was 10,87 @ 122+.......checked the carb to make sure it was fulling opening.....check timing and what i saw was weird.....y
looking at timing mark....hit gas pedal and it would retard then jump back.....distributor rotor was loose on top of the distributor.....replaced it...
2nd pass 10.84 @ 122+......well...that was probably not the easy answer...

Listening to it...i dont hear anything usual in the valve train...put hand on valve covers...did not feel anything...
Noticed one thing....fuel pressure gauge is showing 3 psi....even with the pump is off...it is one of those autometer gauge with the isolator.....wondering if it is getting false reading as the pump sounds ok.....

We have been using a 4 inch air cleaner on the car for years...with the k&n style cleaner...washed it a couple of times....so decided to remove it...

The car did pickup....Ran 10.71 @ 123.....unfortunately that was in the 1st round with a 10.84 on the window..

I was looking for something around 10.50s even in the heat.....maybe i was expecting too much....

Dont see any more races schedule at this time...there was on August 8, looks like they cancelled it.

So we will do some basic engine check out....rockers...compression test.....check out the fuel pressure and pump and take a look at the distributor....

The 904s are working great...lol

Those are similar numbers that the dart went 6.88 in the 1/8th.it was spinning and running out of gas on top end. What is hurting us is the cubic inches@400+- and head flow on the small block head is hard to get enough flow to make the hp.not impossible but not easy or cheap

A previous 408 in this car with very similar heads had run 10.29 @ 128 back in March 2019.....using the same fuel pump and ignition system....I dont buy that Eddy ported heads can not support a 408...

And Vegas track sits at 2000 ft....plus we have lousy DA.....

Will get if figured out...aint my 1st rodeo...

Heard prior to this weekend that the bracket program is done up there. See SCSN is still on, but different deal with track rental..... and it’ll be a cold day at SCSN before I take a car to that event again!

Glad nothing is broken.

I’ve never run either in a SB stroker, but with that type of combo, and especially in that kind of air, I’d expect the Hughes cam to make more power than the 590.
Not enough more to pick up 6mph though.

But I’m sure the weather was better last March too.

Move the FP gauge to the cowl, remove the isolator.

Going to get other short block together, will be using a Howard’s camshaft in it. The 590 was a stop gap as I had it and wanted to get car on the track.

Got the car out of the trailer and back into the garage. Now I see we are done for the year locally bracket racing program....Plus still waiting on camshaft for the TF 408 engine for Dart.

1st thing.....fuel pump,,,removed line going into the isolator...pointed across garage...hit pump switch shot gas across room....nothing wrong with pump...hit the both sides of isolator with some brake cleaner...checked the other side of the isolator and refilled with anti freeze....hit isolator with 9/16 combo wrench....now it works....shows 7.5 psi......and shows zero went turned off...

next...removed all plug wires and cap....cap looks a little worn inside....mechanical advance seems to be working ok...I will remove distributor later for a closer look.

removed plugs...all look good....was looking for bone white ....they look good....

removed valve covers....bumped thru the valves...checking intake and exhaust....all looks good...nothing loose like it lost a lobe....

compression test.....all 8 cylinders hit dead on 150 psi....did not open carb up....plus our air sucks...wanted to see if they are all the same...

so the engine appears to ok....which is great....only thing i will double check is the distributor.....

and I finally looked at her last time slip....ran the 10.71....speed was a little higher then i thought at 123.98

so i think if we can get this thing to 60 ft....everything will be ok...lol

Going to use a msd 8534 distributor i have instead of the mopar race electronic...and going to lock it out......tomorrow

Apparently ....the bracket race for 8/8/20 was cancled and a JR race was installed...but now they are having an open TnT the same night...so I will get the Duster out there and see if we can improve on the last outing...

With only 3 passes on engine....i think i was expecting too much too soon.....if it ran as i thought I would not have anything to do...lol

-
Back