71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Painted the block hemi orange....knocked the freeze plugs in....put all the oil gallery plugs in ..including the ones behind the cam plate....

got 5 pistons mounted on their rods.....still can not get the last 3 rods off their rods...spiro locks...

you atren`t trying to save the spiral locks are you ?

almost to that point...was probably going to run them by the machine shop and see if they can get them out....just need one on each piston to get the rod off it.....

Last edited:
Had to take block to the machine shop to fix my FU....not this block...another future 408....anyway took pistons with me...asked if they could help me out...the son of the owner grabbed them...and bingo he had them out in a couple of minutes...watched the last one...they made a tool out of a screw driver...with a hook on it....asked if he had patented it...lol

20200518_150230_resized.jpg

ok...got the rings filed.....going to start putting the pistons in tomorrow....hopefully get the cam degreed....and Sunday put the heads on it...followed by the valve gear...

Changing out heads.....it had a set of SDSS ported Eddy....going to IMM ported Eddy with 2.055 plus new valve springs....been using 1.6 rockers on intake and exhaust...going- to change exhaust to 1.5.....

Ok....Tonya and I got the pistons loaded with the rings and knocked the pistons in....slammed the Hughes 264/268 flat tappet cam back in....was shooting for 104....hit 104.5 on the 1st try....close enough,,,,cleaned the deck....got the MLS head gaskets on with the ARP studs....Pulled the IMM ported Eddy heads out of the box....cleaned with some brake cleaner and compressed air...got them on and torqued down...

Tomorrow we will get the oil pump and pan on....Will measure for pushrods and see what i got....we put a new cam and using Howards EDM lifters so the old pushrods will not work since the seat in the howard lifters are higher so I need a shorter pushrod...

the other 408 is sitting in the background on the engine stand...**** is stacking up....lol

20200523_121422_resized.jpg

20200523_121433_resized.jpg

Ok....Tonya and I got the pistons loaded with the rings and knocked the pistons in....slammed the Hughes 264/268 flat tappet cam back in....was shooting for 104....hit 104.5 on the 1st try....close enough,,,,cleaned the deck....got the MLS head gaskets on with the ARP studs....Pulled the IMM ported Eddy heads out of the box....cleaned with some brake cleaner and compressed air...got them on and torqued down...

Tomorrow we will get the oil pump and pan on....Will measure for pushrods and see what i got....we put a new cam and using Howards EDM lifters so the old pushrods will not work since the seat in the howard lifters are higher so I need a shorter pushrod...

the other 408 is sitting in the background on the engine stand...**** is stacking up....lol

View attachment 1715533833

View attachment 1715533834

Thats a pretty sight! 10.01 second 1/4's here you come!!!

amazing ****....have a few oil pumps in the closet...lol....take two pump from same manufacturer.....crank journal hit one but not the other...

Got the pump on...pickup on...and oil pan is on...

put one set of rockers .....put adjustable pushrod on....i need a 7.399 pushrod....Will check my stockpile and see what i got....otherwide Tuesday I call Smith Bros again...

20200524_115210_resized.jpg

I must have a box of 100 pushrods in it.....luckily....I do have them sorted somewhat..anyway.....of course had nothing that would work

anyway got the rockers sorted out 1.6 on intake...1,5 on exhaust....

Running Howard EDM lifters....almost put a used set from another cam on this new cam....caught myself...

cleanup the eddy victor 340 intake ......just got to get a set of pushrods.....

20200525_122112_resized.jpg

I must have a box of 100 pushrods in it.....luckily....I do have them sorted somewhat..anyway.....of course had nothing that would work

anyway got the rockers sorted out 1.6 on intake...1,5 on exhaust....

Running Howard EDM lifters....almost put a used set from another cam on this new cam....caught myself...

cleanup the eddy victor 340 intake ......just got to get a set of pushrods.....

View attachment 1715535239

Um... looks good but... thats not the correct engine paint color for the year of that car... :poke::rofl:

Finally ordered the pushrods this afternoon .....double checked the length again....as I am using Hughes EDM lifters and not Howard the Hughes are lighter and not as tall but the seat sits up higher so I pulled a Hughes out and put a Howard lifter in.....Hughes I needed a 7.399 and Howard I needed a 7.401. I ordered 7.400000000

Probably the difference was me moving the adjuster net a hair.....a C hair ...

Pushrods are here.....Damper here tomorrow.....engine finished this weekend...Then i need to see about getting the 71 duster in the garage to swap it out .....as concurred engine in it...has a real bad blow by problem.....note to self....do a compression test on it before pulling it out....

damper shows up today....hopefully will start to get this one swapped out this weekend...looks a break in the heat way.....high 80 to low 90s...

Finished up the 410 this morning..pushrods in...adjusted vavles...new sfi powerbond damper.....ran the oil pump.....you can see the oil coming out of the bottom of the EDM lifters...cool....
and put the Eddy Victor 340 on it...

Got the car out of the trailer...one slick was flat again...but I got two new tires to go on....drove it into the garage.....

This 360 that is in it...has alot of blow by coming out of the breathers...wow....does not have alot of runs on it...none in this car....have to see what my options ....stroke it...or hone and rering it.....since it is only .020....go .030 with new pistons as i have a set of Kb741 slightly used...well...another day....

20200606_125407_resized.jpg

20200606_125359_resized.jpg

Old 360 is out.....removed everything from it that goes on new motor...will disconnect the trans tomorrow and connect to new motor...will see where I am then ...might drop it in...

20200607_123304_resized.jpg

20200607_123313_resized.jpg

It's not a billion degrees out. Get out there and take that thing apart! :)

At my age you have to pace yourself.....plus there aint no racing anywhere so why hurry.....I think it is suppose to stay below 100 until Thursday...so I got a few days...

Well..going to use the same TA4200 series converter....it had run 10.29 in Vegas with that converter went it was a 408.....it flashes to 5200 rpm and does not seem to be too loose...as it went 128 ...Give some good air in Vegas again i would expect it to run faster then that since we squared the block and up the compression...plus I feel these heads are better then other ported Eddies that were on it...plus time will tell as the clocks dont lie like a Dyno...lol

In the 71 Dart I had an older TA3500 series converter that i bought for 250 bucks back in 1983, then I bought a new converter spec for the Dart and 408 that cost 1300 bucks and was no faster then the 35 yr old converter that i paid 250 for.......the TA4200 i paid less then 300 bucks for it...but that 1300 dollar converter is going back in the Dart...lol

The 410 has landed....another simple engine swap....those QA1 k members make it so easy......getting things hook up probably wont be running until next week if I go racing this weekend.

20200608_163438_resized.jpg

410 should be running Friday if not Saturday for sure......just need a more thing done...header went on like they belong there.....

I think I need to hook up a battery cable....plugs...plug wires and cap...water.....alternator wire...and Fire...

TNT June 27.....in the evening should be a hot one suppose to be 109 all week....

And I just pulled a Giant Boner.....was filling up radiator to start the engine....and all the water is going on the garage floor.....

I forget the ******* 2 freeze plugs in the back of the motor......out it comes.....tomorrow....i am done for the day....

Well...need to write that on the refrigerator door where I put all my reminders from previous **** up.....changed refrigerator last year so the list is starting over..

humor in adversity, gonna hafta remember that so I don't throw the hammer across the garage and have it come winging back at me. Thanks for sharing hints for a healthy life and not having to use the emergency room. Bob

-
Back