72 Dart Swinger 3.6L Pentastar +T5

-
Wow! How long did that mockup supercharger take to print?!

The G3 swaps are definitely getting more and more popular, but I'm almost certain there are more BBM A-bodies out there.

Did an alignment and weighed it.
My alignment machine doesnt fit on the 18" so i need to use 15" wheels which are a lot heavier.

Take away:
  1. Heavier than I thought but not bad for 15" Steel wheels(+100lbs?) & full interior.
  2. +6 degree of Caster and Bump Steer kit is awesome

4 Corner weight with me in it, 15" Steel Wheels + ~10gal of gas. 3180lb
upload_2022-9-12_10-10-48.png

Front/Rear with Driver
upload_2022-9-12_10-16-4.png

Weight without Driver
NOTE: My butt barely changes the Front/Rear distribution 0.1% but almost
EXACLTY swaps the Left/Right %
upload_2022-9-12_10-18-21.png

Last edited:
Final Alignment specs.
Close as I could get it Right/Left

upload_2022-9-12_10-33-27.png

I did a quick bubba test for camber gain at roll.
With the wheel at full lock + 2" Roll, the "outside" wheel is around 0 degree camber

upload_2022-9-12_10-44-47.png

Last edited:
I had planned on it but its not looking like its going to happen.
Is there a reason You feel the 8.25" rear isn't up to the task here??? Mopar used one to test all the B-engine packages in a 400ci Dart Sport for the bracket racer science pages. I personally beat the living bejeezus out of one in My ex Popo Diplomat, 383 4spd, trying to break it before putting a '68 RR 8.75 rear w/4.89's in it. I'm talking 6K side-steps, 2nd gear power-shifts, and as soon as the spinning topped out, I'd slam on the brakes & do it again..over & over. So long in fact, the guy riding shotgun starting saying "OK OK!!! We better get out of here!!!" Had another guy with a Dodge 4×4 w/a 400 in it to tow Me home,....never did...

Is there a reason You feel the 8.25" rear isn't up to the task here??? Mopar used one to test all the B-engine packages in a 400ci Dart Sport for the bracket racer science pages. I personally beat the living bejeezus out of one in My ex Popo Diplomat, 383 4spd, trying to break it before putting a '68 RR 8.75 rear w/4.89's in it. I'm talking 6K side-steps, 2nd gear power-shifts, and as soon as the spinning topped out, I'd slam on the brakes & do it again..over & over. So long in fact, the guy riding shotgun starting saying "OK OK!!! We better get out of here!!!" Had another guy with a Dodge 4×4 w/a 400 in it to tow Me home,....never did...
Its plenty strong but in my opinion this is just not worth putting money into.
Its beat to hell and needs a new diff, gears and at least 1 axle, which no one seems to make new ones anymore.

I have an 8-3/4 & 489 to build or throw in a modded 8.8. The 8.8 has more options for diffs, axels, disk brakes, Watts or Panhard setups

Been following your thread for some time and just got done re-reading the whole thing. Nice work.

Couple of questions:

1. Speedometer connections?

You posted about using a Dakota Digital signal converter and you made mention of unhooking your ABS module so I gather that you are running one. Did you not use the converter or did it just not work? Guessing your plan is to send the ABS module a speed signal and let it generate and send the proper messages on the CanBUS network, correct?

2. Thinsulate thoughts?

It doesn't appear that 3M lists the Thinsulate material for automotive uses anymore but does have other products that are specific to it. Just curious how you felt the Thinsulate worked and if you would go a different direction if you were to do it again.

3. Steering column mount?

I missed if you made mention of you steering column. It appears you are using the Jeep steering column? Curious how you mounted it and if it worked well.

Keep at it, love the build. We have a 2015 200S with the 3.6 and I (like others) have often thought it would make for a great swap. Love the idea of the supercharger.

Hello @myduster360,
I just joined FABO after discovering this Swinger V6 on YTube - beautiful job!
Long story short - I’ve been brainstorming the perfect car to scratch my fun-driver itch and have been schooled by a good friend on the inherent goodness of the old A-Body MoPar chassis. I’m falling in love with the idea, but running into roadblocks with the typical engine choices. I’m not really a V8 guy and was seriously researching the hot-slant 6 angle, but it’s been coming up short in regard to performance and mileage goals. When I started thinking along the lines of an engine swap it didn’t take long to come up with the 3.6L V6 idea. With a little on-line searching - bada boom, there you were! I can’t wait to dig in and absorb your guidance. I hope this is replicable and thanks for sharing your experience!

Hello @myduster360,
I just joined FABO after discovering this Swinger V6 on YTube - beautiful job!
Long story short - I’ve been brainstorming the perfect car to scratch my fun-driver itch and have been schooled by a good friend on the inherent goodness of the old A-Body MoPar chassis. I’m falling in love with the idea, but running into roadblocks with the typical engine choices. I’m not really a V8 guy and was seriously researching the hot-slant 6 angle, but it’s been coming up short in regard to performance and mileage goals. When I started thinking along the lines of an engine swap it didn’t take long to come up with the 3.6L V6 idea. With a little on-line searching - bada boom, there you were! I can’t wait to dig in and absorb your guidance. I hope this is replicable and thanks for sharing your experience!
I think an AWD 3.6l A Body swap would be kind of kewl.

I think an AWD 3.6l A Body swap would be kind of kewl.

The 3.6l is an impressive little engine too bad it wasn't easier to swap since there's ton of them out there cheap.
I’m so new here that I haven’t reviewed the whole build. Guess I’ll soon find out what “too bad it wasn’t easier” means. I’m very interested in the lighter front end/handling aspect combined with 300hp and very good mpg. If I could get all that with a simple slant 6 build I would, but after a bunch of researching it looks like 1959 technology is still..1959 technology.

I’m so new here that I haven’t reviewed the whole build. Guess I’ll soon find out what “too bad it wasn’t easier” means. I’m very interested in the lighter front end/handling aspect combined with 300hp and very good mpg. If I could get all that with a simple slant 6 build I would, but after a bunch of researching it looks like 1959 technology is still..1959 technology.
He had issues getting the exhaust routed but if your looking at other solutions here should be fine to start. My car dont have much left stock and big upgrade I am doing the ZF 8 speed in front of an old school LA360 build.

If I were to do this, I think I would do a 3.6/8HP45 combo. Removes all the headache and custom parts he had to use to get a 5M to work. And I think the 8A is a wonderful combination with the 3.6. And I am a 3 pedals guy.

If I were to do this, I think I would do a 3.6/8HP45 combo. Removes all the headache and custom parts he had to use to get a 5M to work. And I think the 8A is a wonderful combination with the 3.6. And I am a 3 pedals guy.
Also....pretty sure that combo comes in Ram 1500 trucks in a RWD version.

Also....pretty sure that combo comes in Ram 1500 trucks in a RWD version.

And a whole slew of Chargers/Challengers/300's. Looks like an '11 300 or '12 Charger or Ram would be a good starting point, or maybe even a '15+ Challenger and try and use all the electronics and interior too.

For most It would be transmission and the electronics.

a small block with ally heads and intake is very light. a 408 (stroker 360) with that top end will make good and reliable power too. just saying...... :thumbsup:
neil.

a small block with ally heads and intake is very light. a 408 (stroker 360) with that top end will make good and reliable power too. just saying...... :thumbsup:
neil.

True, but I don't think there is any way a SB could match the efficiency though. And add a Procharger or Ripp to it and make 450+ hp and (probably) keep the 30+ mpg and now you are running away from a BluePrint 408 due to better gearing (assuming it doesn't have an 8A) and less weight. Certainly not for everyone, but not a bad option IMO. Pluses and minuses for everything.

neil.
Probably why it's still the most popular engine to run

Out of curiosity, I looked up some numbers for a 2015 Challenger SXT. A Car & Driver test showed it did 14.7@97 and weighed 3946#. Plug that same drivetrain into a 3300# A-Body and it is a [email protected]. Not too bad for 30mpg and missing the V8 roar.

Out of curiosity, I looked up some numbers for a 2015 Challenger SXT. A Car & Driver test showed it did 14.7@97 and weighed 3946#. Plug that same drivetrain into a 3300# A-Body and it is a [email protected]. Not too bad for 30mpg and missing the V8 roar.
That would be fantastic and I have in mind a 2800lb early A-body! I’m after - strong power (300hp is plenty!), good mpg (30 would be awesome) and possibly most important, losing weight up front for better handling. But I like simple too and modern complexities can be such a drag plus I really don’t want to end up with a modern dash/interior. I’ve got lots o’ learnin’ to do and hopefully I’ll be (a little ;^) less ignorant after going through the build.

-
Back