72 Dart Swinger 3.6L Pentastar +T5

-
Been a while since my last update.

Finally got her on the Dyno for some tuning. Mostly focused on tuning the VVT and testing different Pentastar Upper and Lower intakes.
Overall gains were +25whp and+19ftlbs

Full disclosure: imo that dyno is reading a good 25hp too high but the gains from tuning are legit, which is all I care about.

1729091413342.png
1729091493906.png
1729091563142.png

Last edited:
Been a while since my last update.

Finally got her on the Dyno for some tuning. Mostly focused on tuning the VVT and testing different Pentastar Upper and Lower intakes.
Overall gains were +25whp and+19ftlbs

View attachment 1716316327View attachment 1716316328View attachment 1716316329
Nice!

Couple of questions:

1. Speedometer connections?

You posted about using a Dakota Digital signal converter and you made mention of unhooking your ABS module so I gather that you are running one. Did you not use the converter or did it just not work? Guessing your plan is to send the ABS module a speed signal and let it generate and send the proper messages on the CanBUS network, correct?

2. Thinsulate thoughts?

It doesn't appear that 3M lists the Thinsulate material for automotive uses anymore but does have other products that are specific to it. Just curious how you felt the Thinsulate worked and if you would go a different direction if you were to do it again.

3. Steering column mount?

I missed if you made mention of you steering column. It appears you are using the Jeep steering column? Curious how you mounted it and if it worked well.

With all the NA dyno tuning done, its SUPERCHARGER TIME!!

I have it currently running well with the cams still where they were NA. She'll break my sticky autocross tires loose in 2nd gear easily enough.
The plan is to get back on the Dyno and sweep the cams again to see how adding 7-8psi changes things.

After 93oct is done tuned, E85 is next.
1729091697426.png

Last edited:
More install pics
1729092049273.png

Low temp Radiator for the IC fits nicely in front of the LX Radiator
1729092109704.png

The Edelbrock Wrangler TVS 1320 needed its intercooler water lines changed to 90s to clear the firewall. I had to switch back to my 3speed wiper to clear the back of the blower.
1729092241986.png

The Wrangler IC water lines only needed small adjustments to fit

1729092359069.jpeg

1729092265580.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice!

Couple of questions:

1. Speedometer connections?
Jeep ABS sensors are goofy +12v & not the low voltage, variable reluctance of most all speed sensors that the Dakota box is made for. So I'm stuck figuring out how/where to a ~52 tooth tone wheel for the factory sensors

2. Thinsulate thoughts?

Decent enough but honestly there's still too many holes and gaps in the car to properly evaluate it. ei: Steering column, trans tunnel
3. Steering column mount?

I missed if you made mention of you steering column. It appears you are using the Jeep steering column? Curious how you mounted it and if it worked well.

I just hacked up a factory backet and welded it to the Wrangler. It bolts into the same 3 bolts as stock. Sorry no pictures handy.

reply in RED

More install pics
View attachment 1716316333

Low temp Radiator for the IC fits nicely in front of the LX Radiator
View attachment 1716316334

The Edelbrock Wrangler TVS 1320 needed its intercooler water lines changed to 90s to clear the firewall. I had to switch back to my 3speed wiper to clear the back of the blower.
View attachment 1716316335

The Wrangler IC water lines only needed small adjustments to fit

View attachment 1716316337

View attachment 1716316336
Any idea what this thing weighs?

When I'm not wrenching on the actual 5.7 swap, I am busy trying to figure out how to retrofit ABS and wheel speed sensors to my '73 Duster. Project started because I wanted cruise control and since I am using a factory PCM, why not use the factory CC controls in the PCM, which means I need a stock or semi stock speed input. Originally I was just going to wire up one sensor and not plumb in a ABS module but it has rabbit holed into a full 4 channel ABS swap using an HCU from a 2009 Challenger SRT8 6M.

My plan is to use '15+ Mustang rear axle hubs front and back to provide the tone wheel. I think they are even 52 tooth wheels. I have a plan for a custom front spindle and am working on a rear axle mount as well. Many revisions to go though and I haven't confirmed yet that I can get an axle made that can squeeze the bearing like stock. But a company called MillerBuilt does something similar with C5/6/7 hubs so I don't think it is impossible.

Certainly easier ways to do it though. Strange has a kit to mount '05+ Mustang brakes to 9" axle ends that includes the option to keep the ABS tone ring and sensor. Those tone rings are only 50 tooth though. And since I have an 8.75 I would need to narrow anyways, using 9" axle ends would be easy. Add a custom tone ring to the front hubs I have now and a simple sensor mount and I would probably be golden. But I'm too dumb to do anything the easy way.

With all the NA dyno tuning done, its SUPERCHARGER TIME!!

I have it currently running well with the cams still where they were NA. She'll break my sticky autocross tires loose in 2nd easily enough.
The plan is to get back on the Dyno and sweep the cams again and see how 7-8psi changes things.

After 93oct is done tuned, E85 is next.
View attachment 1716316331
Finally! I’ve been waiting for that specific update since I saw you mention it a long time ago. That’s the edlebrock jeep kit correct?

Edited to add;
You answered my question in your next post. Thanks

Last edited:
-
Back