72 duster resto

-
Getting the rear end closer as well as putting the longer studs in the other side of the front.

Need to order piston rings for these .020 KB 107s but not sure what I need

IMG_7414.jpeg

IMG_7411.jpeg

IMG_7410.jpeg

Last edited:

No idea if these types of rings work for my build but the size is correct at 4.020

In terms of materials I dont know the difference in applications when pairing with these KB107s. Id ask my machinist but my confidence in his word is still quite low

what ring does the piston mfgr. say to run?

what's the finish on the bore?

i know you've lost confidence in the machine shop, but i'd still go with their recommendation.

or, have a read and choose your own adventure:

Did some digging - turns out the KB 107s get sold with ringkit 4000AM8
Looks like KB brand got bought by United Engine and Machine
they make kit 4000AM8.020 and Summit carries it in stock.

Ordered!

Dropped off the pistons and rings and got to check the rough bore of the block while i was there. Cleaned up nice at .020!

Also dropped off bearings for cam, rods and mains. He said next friday he “will be done”

IMG_7438.jpeg

New strut bushings installed
Finished swapping the 2” wheel studs to 3” (whew)
Cleaning up some parts
Pulled the rest of the slant exhaust out
Pulling the gas tank next to swap in the new one with new sending unit.

Happy early fathers day to the rest of you dads!

IMG_7446.jpeg

IMG_7448.jpeg

IMG_7447.jpeg

IMG_7449.jpeg

IMG_7450.jpeg

IMG_7451.jpeg

Pulled the axles out of the 8.8 today to get started assembling the mounting brackets for the calipers but got sent on an internet hunt for the right bolt/nut combo to attach things. I dont have the dust shields, but not too worried about those. There is a strong consideration of figuring out a hack to use the parking brake drum configuration that is on this 8.8 from the factory and rig it up to use the duster's parking brake, so need to find the right parts for that. Chatted with the machine shop owner today as I dropped off the cam for installation and he say's everything's on track to get my block back tomorrow, so we'll see! Will be good to have that back in the garage for inspection and next steps.

I'm hunting now for a good step by step guide on finishing the build with all the correct torque specs. The Chiltons and Hayes manuals are decent but would love to find something a little more specific to engine building so I can follow along and make sure things are as good as can be.

Also, checkin' out mopar joe's video on undercoating since I'll be under there to do the exhaust soon enough.

Rollin' out to the mopar alley show Saturday so hope to see you folks there!

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 11.52.38 AM.png

download to get your hands on a factory service manual, it has all the critical information and torque specs. because your car is 72 and the motor is later (?) you may need more than one.

there are some inaccuracies in the FSM, most notably is the torque for rocker arm shafts is listed wrong at like 30 ft/lb when it's supposed to be around half that at something like 17 ft/lb.

don't memorize the torque settings or go by what you think you thought they were. stop, look at the book, read the process and follow the sequence.

having more than one book for reference material will help compare and contrast specific aspects.

or log in here and get 30 responses about how they did it back in dickety-doo when you had to carry your own tools to work in the snow up hill both ways and you had to memorize the torque specs because they were carved in tablets of stone so why don't you know them; other responses will run the gamut to photos of an engine with screen shots of unrelated content, links to mymopar for the FSM download, and maybe a recipe for pork verde.

or log in here and get 30 responses about how they did it back in dickety-doo when you had to carry your own tools to work in the snow up hill both ways and you had to memorize the torque specs because they were carved in tablets of stone so why don't you know them; other responses will run the gamut to photos of an engine with screen shots of unrelated content, links to mymopar for the FSM download, and maybe a recipe for pork verde.

Or a picture of whiskey bacon cheesecake.

Random question. Are 273 stock adjustable rockers decent for some aluminum heads? Found a deal for $40 for the pair. No pushrods but i need to assemble the heads on the block first to see what size pushrods I need. (I think)

sure, why not!

i mean, no! they're crap! but you should totally buy them and sell them to me for $50, which is an awesome ROI for TOI.

all kidding aside, for standard shaft mount LA heads, yeah sure.

-
Back